Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,732 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Poor Sevu, hope he recovers quickly.

As good as he is it's not going to affect the All-Blacks much. They are stacked on the wing with Leicester, Clarke and Jordan to start with.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,143 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

poor sevu my hole....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Wing is one position the ABs always have plenty of depth. Wingers never seem to have long careers in the ABs. I think the longest was Howlett with about 60 tests. Any drop in form and there is always someone ready to take their spot.

You are forgetting the late and greatest Jonah Lomu.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It’s funny, both Howlett and Lomu had 63 caps each. Can’t help but think they would have probably had 100 for any other team.

• Advertisement

In Jonah's case illness cut his career short. He missed a year over it at one stage.

Last time he played for New Zealand he was 27. He was an incredible man, many would never have played again after being diagnosed with nephrotic syndrome.

Agreed. Obviously Lomu had his health problems. Howlett was competing with Sivivatu, Rokocoko and Ralph and a few one season wonders. He averaged less than 8 tests a season without major injuries which is mad.

On the subject of matches played, Aaron Smith became the 5th NZer to play 350 first class matches. Great effort.

i wouldnt be surprised to see Salesi Rayasi brought into the squad for the rugby championship. he's averaging a try ever 2 games for the hurricances and at 26 is hitting his prime.

Lot of talk in NZ about Shaun Stevenson being called up to the ABs.

hes impressed with the maoris anytime hes played

• Advertisement

He's a guy I imagine a few countries have explored his lineage on because to me he's always looked like an international quality player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭typhoony

Was watching the Fijian drua play the rebels over the weekend and the no.13 is a real talent.

after the chiefs this weekend our schedule is Home to Force, home to Drua, Paskfika in Auckland. Id be hoping of at least 13 points from those 3 games.

14 point return from those games is pretty good, even if we're still playing average. we're in 6th at the moment where we never got beyond 8th place last year. Our next 3 games are home to canes, then a bye week, then away to the force and tahs. The tahs have been pretty disappointing so far this season, so if we could get 8 points from those 3 game sit would be a very, very good return.

we cant be going away to the blues in the last round of the comp needing a victory!

@Yeah_Right whats happening with your boys? 3 from 6 is a poor start!

Yes it is. It's strange though. On paper the losses aren't that bad; away to the the Chiefs and the Brumbies and at home to the Crusaders.

In a season those losses are "acceptable" but when you look into the matches there are issues. Didn't score at all in the second half v Brumbies, soft early tries conceded and in all 3 matches the Blues have gotten over the line 2 or 3 times and failed to ground the ball. Get one of those scores each game and the Blues could be 6 from 6.

Also Barrett had a really bad game on Saturday. Worst I've ever seen.

Ethan de Groot signs with the Highlanders until 2026.

Are we on for an upset this morning in orangetheory stadium in Christchurch?

Moana beating crusaders 21 - 17 at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Crusaders win 38-21. Reds hammered 24-52 at home to Brumbies who look like the only Australian team capable of challenging NZ domination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Hurricanes and Chiefs standout tie this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Surely McKenzie has to be in pole position for the NZ 10 jersey at this stage, he's been sensational this season. Stevenson is definitely a good shout for a cap too, I'd be shocked if NZ let another country have a sniff of him.

Watching the Drua, they're a quality outfit. Were quite unlucky against the Brumbies. Think failing to score around the 68min took the wind out of them. Hope Fiji can carry their cohesion and form into the WC

Big McKenzie fan, great to watch but would he be a Joe style player? Touch of Finn Russell about his play, incredibly creative but frenetic.

• Advertisement

I agree. Great player but Finn Russell would be a fair comparison. Not sure I'd want him as the starting 10 in a big match but a great option off the bench.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

He's an incredible 15

I watched it, the Chiefs have been very impressive this season.

On the McKenzie assessments, I don't think he ever costs his team a game but he wins games a lot with his creativity which is manic at times.

Freddie burns named in the bench for the Highlanders just 33 days after breaking his leg against the chiefs last month.

That's a bit mad altogether Ted

Post edited by sydthebeat on

I see they've called time on the Roger Tuivasa-Sheck experiment; and he's going back to NRL in 2024.

it will be interesting to see if hes included in the ABs RWC squad. Personaly i dont think hes up to test level in union.

Yeah, agreed. I'd prefer David Havili, Jordie Barrett or Anton Lienert Brown as 12 options.

Will Ngani Laumape be considered for the RWC, no?

no. hasnt been on teh AB radar in 3 years, and not playing in NZ rules him out.

Jack Goodhue and Quinn Tupaea are the other options at 12

Will Tupaea be back in time? Really like Goodhue but he has had a horrible run of injuries. I'd go with Barrett. Havili and ALB can be so good at SR level but they've never really excelled at test level. No one has made the jersey their own since Nonu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Tupaea had an interview recently where he seemed fairly annoyed at how his injury came about, don’t think he was too confident about being back in time to make a claim for the WC.

I think it’s a little harder to really stand out these days as a 12 in test level rugby, given how much quicker and more organised defences have become. Nonu really was the prototype though - if there has been anyone better since his reign, they’ve slipped my mind. Perfect combination of power and skill, just kept adding to his game as well.

Advertisement