Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New brake discs shot after 6 months

Options
  • 23-06-2022 7:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a 2018 4-series BMW. Bought in September 2020 and was working fine until November 2021. Around that time I noticed the car would roll back a small bit on an incline when I put the handbrake up and the steering wheel was shuddering when braking. Brought it to a mechanic who said it needed new discs and that was that. Now the same thing is happening again so I'm thinking the discs warping is a result of some other issue.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

Which thing is happening again? Which discs were replaced, front or rear?

These are two unconnected things. Parking brake operates on the rear wheels and a shuddering through the steering wheel when braking relates to the front brakes.

A small roll back when parking brake is applied is quite normal once the parking brake is holding. It is just the weight of the vehicle settling onto the locked wheels.

If the front discs have failed again, it could be down to cheap discs. The lady you are driving generates plenty of power and will need decent anchors to stop it. Buy a decent set of discs and pads from a motor factors, don't automatically go for the cheapest ones

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Are they the larger M Sport brakes with the blue Brembo calipers? What brand discs were put on it? This can be important because they can wear through cheap branded discs pretty quickly. It can also depend on the driver and their braking style but in saying that, wearing out in 6 months seems very excessive unless the driver is sitting on the brake pedal or the pads were fitted incorrectly? What is it a 420d? I have a 2017 430d for the last 2 years with no trouble with the discs and that's a heavier car, granted it's only has 62k miles on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,175 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Is shuddering under braking not done to warped disks rather than worn disks?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Isn't that how a disk becomes warped where a lip forms on the disc from where the pad contacts the disc causing the shudder? The only other thing I can think of is excessive heat on the disc. I'm not an expert though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,175 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The only time I had it the disk wasn't particularly worn, the disk was warped. They told me it excessive heat on the disc caused by hard late breaking. Given my driving style at the time that was entirely possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I only mentioned the handbrake issue and juddering in the same point because the 2 issues appear to go hand in hand. That could be coincidental however. When the mechanic replaced the pads and discs he also tightened the handbrake and both issues seem to have reoccurred at the same time so that's why I linked them. He said that the discs were warped not worn. I've also noticed intermittent squealing from the front driver side wheel now when taking it out after being parked up overnight, but might not be linked.

I have no idea what brand discs or pads the mechanic put on, I've been going to him for years with no issues so I trust that he uses good parts. The car is a 420D M-Sport, but doesn't have the blue caliper. It has 88,000 km on the clock.

In terms of driving style I tend to brake early and slowly, as opposed to late and fast and overall I'd be conservative enough so no regular hard braking behind cars and stuff. I might try taking it to an Indy BMW mechanic for another opinion on it, just wanted to see if it could be something else causing excessive wear or warping on the disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The intermittent squealing you describe (if you mean while not braking) could be an issue with the calipers sticking and not releasing properly - this can lead to excessive wear and potentially warping if the calipers are badly seized.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk7r

No thats not how they warp. OP this era of BMW can be very fussy with their discs. Get oem BMW discs and pads, check the bearing runout on the hubs and make sure they are spotless!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Dirty Nails

There might be a slight possibility that the rear brakes aren't pulling enough & too much of the braking force is going to the front brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,587 ✭✭✭zg3409

Hi back to the mechanic and get him to check. Pistons can stick, guide rails can stick and brakes may need to be bled etc. It's quite common for lots of brake issues on older cars due to wear and tear, heat, rust etc. Even if one part is replaced. Make sure your brakes and tyres are 100%. It's the cheapest crash prevention tool you can buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭blingrhino

wife has 202 318d with 28km on it

New discs and pads last week

Similar with her previous 5 series .

i swear this will be her last BMW .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭ofcork

Thats very low put over 60k km on my avensis between discs.

Advertisement