Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people have the need to troll & insult other randomers online?

Options
  • 22-06-2022 12:13pm

We're you ever trolled in this way? Did they persist?

I was seriously trolled a few years ago.

I couldn't do anything against it, but found out later that since the fella responsible seriously turbofu€ked his life.

What tales do you care to relate in this regard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Can't say I was ever trolled, but I always remember that old proverb "Give a man a mask and he will reveal his true self"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Never had issues but then I just ignore anybody who seems like a nutter or just trying to stir things.

For the lols. Don’t do it myself, but can see why winding up some humourless cünt on a message board would be amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Because you’re a ****.

Joke 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Anger I suppose or variations of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

I'm prob too old to have been trolled, but was bullied in RL when I was a youngin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

RL ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

• Registered Users Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I hate when I mix up proverbs. I was given a mask recently, but I had it eaten within a day. Then another time, I wore a fish to a fancy dress party, and everyone was like “Gregor, ya prick, we can see it’s you!”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭RossGeller

It makes me feel like a big man

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I don't understand what you are talking about . A troll is an internet thing so you power to stop it is to walk away from the computer. Are you actually talking about a person in the real world harassing you?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

There is a hate group against incels on Reddit called Incel Tears. Every incel sub was banned on Reddit a couple of years ago but it remained. It was shut down once but they made a new one and it has remained open. Imagine logging onto a group to hate on virgin autistic neckbeards. There are only one group more pathetic than neckbeards and that is the people who make fun of them.

Reddit even shut down the sub 'Incels without Hate' they actually don't want lonely men to have a platform to chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I think everyone has been trolled.

I just think I try to let it go. I don't hold anything against them.rse

You have to remember its someone maybe on a bad day etc. Or a bad moment. An off hand comment.

I just forgive.

Of course we should try to be kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

The department of social welfare has a lot to answer for on trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭sporina

as my Mum would say, they have a want in them..

v sad really.. anyone who has the time and or inclination to do such is v v sad imo.. aka, sick, lonely whatever.. tis not healthy in any event.. and its cowardly.. prob are lacking a feeling of control and or power in their life, so they try to get their buzz elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 24,862 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Apart from boards… I only used to use one other forum that was primarily music related. Based in the UK with at the time a quite busy and active user base.

there was one troll / contrarian who would just post with 80% of their ‘contributions’ set to disagree, provoke or anger fellow posters.

the moderators had numerous reports and the upshot was nothing was ever done…. I remember asking wtf was the deal years after this individual was gone and was told, that the moderator had been made aware of some personal problems / health problems this person had and they were being given leeway…

upshot was the user base dwindled and looking now there are about 4 posts a day where there used be about ten new topics or threads…

i remember on one thread was an album you just bought discussion… they started slagging off one of my favourite albums, i enquire how they got to hear it.. “ wasted my money on it “… “who guested on drums on track 7, in the liner notes?” No answer… 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Riddle101

If I get the sense that someone is trolling me then I'll just stop responding to them. If their only motivation is to annoy or frustrate someone then really the best thing you can do is to not react to them or don't give them the satisfaction of a response, maybe put them on the ignore list or block them if you can but eventually, they'll get the idea.

That being said, I haven't had any real problem with trolls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Personal reasons such as unhappiness, feeling like a failure or feeling ignored I suspect. Deliberately trying to upset people isn't something most people do. Either way, it's never worth responding to. The ignore list is great for this.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Is it a need or an urge; a compulsion either way I believe they serve a vital purpose in the eco chain and are applying themselves to the vacancies many of us deem ourselves simply too good for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭HBC08

That last paragraph is another solid online win for you there Strumms!

I’ve just seen there’s something called an ignore list. Where do I find this nirvana? Yes, you know already if you are being added to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I have found there is a big mentality of "I'm right and you're wrong" to life. It's not just online - but of course it's easier to be a jerk online. No repercussions.

I don't get it. Who cares what someone else thinks. Its just one man's opinion that holds no weight. Yet so many want to get back saying how wrong they are and of course throw some insults.

A particular Irish blight.

"I'm right Jack and its yourself whose the gombeen!!!"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Was trolled on another internet forum years back but the troll in question - a deeply unhappy, bitter, angry and generally f*cked up person - was trolling others on the forum too.

They were eventually banned after countless mod/admin warnings.

Trolls are usually people who are very unbalanced, angry, isolated, frustrated and bitter who get their sad kicks from abusing others online.

Very sad and best ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

(On desktop) Copy their name, click on your profile pic and then your username. When page loads, click the little person icon in the top right and select Ignore List. Add them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭bb12

it's tedious when people are trolling each other on forums and in particular when they get into an appendage measuring contest trying to one up each other...derails discussion and is immensely boring for all other readers who have to continuously scroll past pointless and irrelevant posts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Eamonn Ryan is going to have to take some responsibility for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

The only guy I troll is Wingsofredemption. Big ups Liquid Richard, shout out to Sean Ranklin. Richard is a big target (literally) for trolling online, to the point that he has hit international news several times as the victim of terror attacks etc under the name Bernie Gores. He has been doxxed, swatted, had hookers sent to his trailer, endlessly trolled online during his video game streams, which is his job. On occasions this has resulted in epic meltdowns, look here, look listen. There's a core group of trolls who basically commit their entire life to trolling Wingo. I don't do that but I'd mildly troll him the odd time, and I do actually like him.

Advertisement