Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I go to a Peugeot dealer?

Options
  • 22-06-2022 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭

I have a Peugeot car with 270,000 miles on clock, well looked after but I just use a local mechanic. Someone told me I should go to a Peugeot dealer the odd time as they will know more about the car. Is this true? would it be worth it or would I just get the same thing for a much higher price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I wouldnt. Unless you have some complicated issue that an indy can't sort I'd stay away. Most regular servicing is bread and butter to mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Does't matter if your car has 1000 miles or 270,000 miles, is 1 year old or 15 years old. They will fit brand new parts if needed and charge you the same labour rates. If your happy with those prices then bring it to them but don't expect to bring it to them and only pay joe the mechanic working from his shed or mates rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,500 ✭✭✭✭elperello

No need to go to main dealer if you are happy with the local mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I wouldn't expect to pay the same as what I would pay the local mechanic. Someone just told me the Peugeot dealer would know more about my car and any updates it needed etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭goochy

only go if you fancy a day out , they may have nice water and coffee machines 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭User1998

Well of course a main dealer is going to know more about your car than an independent mechanic does. But any qualified mechanic can look after your servicing, breaks, suspension, tyres, NCT work, etc. You don’t need a main dealer for any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There are very often service campaigns and updates that a dealer will do to a vehicle when they are in the workshop. They aren't recalls so you don't get notified about them or sent letters, but the manufacturer will pay to have them done if the dealer is looking at the vehicle anyway.

Mostly these are software updates, changing parameters to improve performance or make adjustments, though sometimes they can be physical checks of known issues as well.

Are they useful? Sure.

Would I bother bringing a car with 270,000 kms on the clock to a dealer just to get them? No.

Would I bother bringing a car with 270,000 kms on the clock to a dealer just on the off-chance that they even exist or apply? Hell no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭monseiur

You could contact your Peugeot dealer, give your car details and they'll tell if your car is subject to any manufacturers recall - if yes make an appointment (it should be FOC) if no recalls, stick with your indy but make sure he changes the timing belt (if fitted) according to manufacturers guidlines.

Advertisement