Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoms Directory - who lived in house in 1975?

• 20-06-2022 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Hi!

I am trying to find other members of my paternal family who were lost due to family disputes, and to piece together a little more of what happened. My paternal uncle lived at 2 Cypress Grove in 1961 - all brothers and sisters are deceased and I never knew them anyway due to family feuds. I checked via the Land Registry and the house has been owned by a completely new family since 2012. I can't find any death records for my paternal uncle or his wife. Unlike the rest of my paternal family, my paternal uncle in 2 Cypress Grove died young - in his 50s I think. I have tried to find who was in the house in 1978 when my paternal grandfather died, my paternal grandfather died - I presume my uncle had died about this time, as he lived near my grandfather and wasn't mentioned on the Death Cert, which I think would be unusual as a son - son in law mentioned instead. Thoms Directory in Talllaght Library only goes up until 1960, and I can't locate anything about who lived at this address when I look up Thoms Directory online. I got great help here last time, and was able to locate deceased members of my paternal family through Thoms and seeing who lived at an address in the 1970s. Would anyone be able to help me re who lived in 2 Cypress Grove in 1978? Would I be able to get more information from the Land Registry if I went in to them rather than online. Details of that house only go back on the Land Registry to when it changed owners in 2012. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Sorry, mean to say that 2 Cypress Grove, is Templogue, Dublin 6W

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The Valuation Office records run until 1977 so that's the easiest way. You need an appt from valoff.ie to go in and search.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭55Gem

Is 2 Cypress Grove and 2 Cypress Grove North, the same place?

Looking at the newspapers there was a Murphy family living at 2 Cypress Grove North in 1975.

on 21 July 1964 a death of a Davis at her daughter's house 2 Cypress Grove. I can't find a death cert to match.

2 Cypress Grove North was also up for sale in 2000.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The death record gives her name as Marcella.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Hi! All, thanks for your replies. Her name was actually, Martha, not Marcella, and her second names was Davis. She was my uncle's mother-in-law. I have a copy of the death cert at home, and I think it only mentions 2 Cypress Grove, Templeogue, Dublin - I never knew there was a 2 Cypress Grove South and a 2 Cypress Grove North - and I am confused now as to which 2 Cypress Grove they actually lived at. The son-in-law, my uncle's name was on the Death Cert - it is he and his wife Breda, that I am trying to find out how long they lived in Cypress Grove. My uncles is certainly deceased, possibly in the 1970s. His wife probably 10 or 15 years ago, I don't know. She would be in her mid 90s if she were alive. Maybe the Valuation Office might be my best bet?

• Advertisement

What about accessing the relevant Thom’s at the National Library?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Another alternative would be the electoral register. I think it'll be Tallaght library for the Templelogue area.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Other libraries, in particularly the city library in Pearse Street, may have other editions of Thoms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Email the nice people upstairs in Pearse St. Library. I think they are still undergoing renovations, but they will be working away in the background. A clear concise query will usually get a swift reply.

https://www.dublincity.ie/residential/libraries/find-library/dublin-city-library-and-archive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,591 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's mid 70s Thoms on AskAboutIreland but the indexing is appalling - you often need to find an alphabetically nearby street and go forward/back.

Remember it only lists who they judged as head of the household as was often not that accurate (particularly after rates finished, for later eras; then basically useless when electoral register commercial use restrictions came in)

Ill look later if I remember

• Advertisement

There's a huge problem here for house numbers. Neither of 2 Cypress Grove North or South now is 2 Cypress Grove in 1961, as far as I can tell.

Cypress Grove refers to a large estate, which was all just numbered as a single estate originally. In 1965 Thoms, there is a single entry for Cypress Grove with no suffices. The numbers are also linear, 1-224 (with gaps), but the current numbers that first appear in Thoms 1969 are even-odd, with multiple different roads.

Doing some surname matching - what was in 1965 8 Cypress Grove became 100 Cypress Grove Road (now just Cypress Road), with 99 being what was 9 and so on; but I can't trace where 2-7 (there was no 1) were. 100 was an end of row building, there is now a newer 102 on the corner though.

So... SDCC libraries, electoral registers and figure out what 'new' address it became. The estate doesn't seem to have been totally finished in 1965 even - and its not in 1962 Thoms at all (which SDCC have on their website), so I'm going to guess it was renumbered when it was finished.

I happen to have a Dublin street map from the 1970's so here's a pic of Cyprus Grove as it appeared then.

Genealogy Forum Mod

That's the same as now, save the Cypress Grove Road being usually down as Cypress Road (including on Eircodes). The small street marked 2 is Cypress Garth, very odd street name suffix!

I think there's a small chance that 2-7 are the even side of Cypress Garth but that's not listed in the 69 or 71 Thoms for whatever reason; only the odd is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"That's the same as now, save the Cypress Grove Road being usually down as Cypress Road (including on Eircodes)." - The street signs, Eircode, Google and OpenStreetMap say Cypress Grove Road. Only certain OSi maps (including on https://finder.eircode.ie/) call it Cypress Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

What about a phone book, if they had a phone in 1975? I think the GSI have phone books, don't know where else would have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

There's a private group on Facebook called "Templeogue D6W" with 2,600 members.

Advertisement