Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pay As You Go Auto

• 17-06-2022 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Anyone have any experience with buying and financing car with the Company Pay as you go auto in Carlow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

They are in Clonmel, Tipperary. They buy the car from a dealer and you pay them weekly or fortnightly. No interest charges but they do add more onto the price but i've no idea how much and whether its better than just getting a loan. Obviously it's aimed at people with poor credit ratings so they will need to charge for risk. I follow them on Instagram and to be honest it sounds like a good service and a decent setup. I've never used them but make sure you understand whatever deal you are getting into. They do require a decent trade in or deposit though, you won't drive away without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭US3

They charge 250 application fee so even if they don't give you a car you still pay 250

They do not say the 250 application fee is kept anyway so that is probably in breach of advertising codes.

They do not list terms and conditions. No surprise with mr shepherds pie, they do not identify them selves 'the owners of our company have 40 years ' blah blah blah. They do not give address or company number

https://aislingfoley.com/website-legal-requirements/

They have a shop in Clonmel, fairly sure that is their address

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They’re from a long established family of garages. It’s basically last chance saloon (or hatchback I suppose) if you can’t manage your finances but still want to upgrade the car.

• Advertisement

I know.its George who was in the link re the legal case

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

From what I can see it seems to be a rebadged PCP type deal on mid range older cars. They say it isn't pcp but the structure of deposit, payments & baloon is very similar. They also say no interest is charged but they build a margin into the deals that may as well be interest. I'd imagine the €250 application fee constitutes a bigger than imagined part of profitability in their "scheme" as there is bound to be people with no hope of credit who'll pay that they'll be helped.

Also aimed at people with no access to credit for one reason or another, always dodgy territory. There is a reason banks don't touch these people, I know many of businessmen burned giving lines of credit to the same type of people or businesses. It's grand when it's going well but when the sh*te hits is when you realise why nobody with sense gives these people money. Some people like buying nice things and not paying for it.

I also am not sure what way they work ownership - they say guaranteed ownership (as in they put the log book in your name) but that doesn't make much of a difference if you owe them money and stop paying or they go bang. They aren't regulated by the central bank either which is a bit odd as they are offering lines of credit basically.

I'll add I have never actually dealt with these people nor will hopefully ever have the need, I just seen their ads on social media and it made me curious enough to do a bit of digging.

If you have alright credit, a bank is probably the way to go.

• Advertisement

Its also hardly pay as you go.with a pay as you go phone you can stop paying /topping up but still keep the phone and restart later. If you stop paying the can you keep the car until you want to top up your payment again?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Frostie24

Thank guys for all the useful info. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 whelmaz

Absolute con artists! Beware of this company at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Would you be willing to elaborate on that statement?

I personally know at least 4 people who have done business with this company and to be fair none of them have had any bad experiences with them. One of these persons is on his 2nd or 3rd car with them and they love it.

I have looked into the details of it myself out of curiosity and they seem legit. The application fee is returned if your not successful and I think this is a means to stop 1000's of bogus applications bogging the staff down, people are less likely to troll when they have to put some of their money down. They add a margin on to the cars and that's fair enough when you think of the risk they are taking plus they got the same overheads as every other business. Its not for everyone but then its not aimed at everyone, its aimed at people who would struggle to get a car loan from traditional sources. The line of cars they offer seem to be decent too with even new cars being offered in the last few weeks, Dacia's I think..

I personally think, a lot of people put this down because they are suspicious. If I was in the unfortunate position not to be able to get finance but needed a decent car and could pay, I would go for it..

Advertisement