Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trade in a Bmw x5 45e (211) for a Toyota Landcruiser.

Options
  • 17-06-2022 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Have traded in one bmwx5 since 2020 already due to tyres blowing out constantly and poor customer service. Tyres go bald then blow in a few months...about 4 so far. Anyway...how do you go about trading in a vehicle for one roughly the same price. Garage is quoting 77k for trade in for the BMW. New landcruiser ( no sat nav! ) is 88k. ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,134 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You will never get a straight swap from a dealer. Dealer will want to make money from your car and the car they are selling you. Also a Toyota dealer might be less keen on trying to sell on a BMW than say another Toyota so the trade-in price you got is probably the best offer they got from other dealers they asked about buying it from them.

Try selling the X5 to a BMW dealer as the X5 is fairly sought after or even the likes of Zucar and see if their cash offers work out better than what it's costing you to trade it in against the Landcruiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbolounge

Tyres don't just "go bald and blow" in the space of a few months unless there is something either seriously wrong with the car, or it has cheap Chinese ditchfinders. I'd be looking to get the x5 sorted before taking a huge loss on a land cruiser

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

This has to be a windup surely.

You traded in an x5 previous with a tyre wear problem and now are trading in another at 1 year old and looking to take a big hit to get into a landcruiser.

Are you mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭goochy

No comparison between x5 and landcruiser , there's a reason the toyota is much cheaper .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

There is a lot happening in imagination land today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭goochy

Paddy connolly 4x4 might be interested in type of deal you want

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Feets

Just bad luck with the x5...don't want another is all. These tyres are less than five months old. So this weeks tyres would be the second set in a year. Low mileage. Will probably find out what is wrong with the car on Monday. Not having good luck with the brand or its customer service. Whatever the problem is ...the dealership service dept didn't spot it last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,134 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

X5s eat tyres but excessive inside wear like that could indicate your wheel alignment is out - the toe and/or camber maybe off or it's also possible that you have worn suspension parts. What sort of roads are you driving on, what size rims are they, 20"? If your getting tyre blow outs or worn suspension parts with low mileage then the condition of the roads your driving on as well as big rims with low profile tyres may be big contributers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Feets

Main roads and motorways. Agree something is off but they should have found it last time it was in for checking. Thanks for your response.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

There is no comparison because they are vehicles designed for different uses.

The landcruiser is a vehicle designed for off road use and pulling heavy trailers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Why wouldn’t an x5 not pull as you say a trailer as good as a cruiser?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Those tyres are at or near the wear limit marker right across the tyre. It's not like the outer is almost new.

Regardless what is wrong' it is your responsibility not to be driving around on tyres like those. It is frightening to think of meeting a large vehicle like an x5 with such dangerous tyres that could spit you across the road at any minute.

Trailer work, Bad alignment, worn suspension, lowered suspension, wrong wheels, rear wheel spin or very odd tyre pressure could cause that.

Ruling out anything obvious I'd be going to an alignment business that actually know what they are doing and how to adjust that particular vehicle. You would be surprised the amount of tyre shops that do not have a clue. Main dealer often hopeless too.

Google says x5 will do very limited mileage per set of rear tyres. What miles are on those?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

We need more info here OP..

What brand tyres are you putting on it?

What size are they?

Have you had all 4 wheels aligned?

What did the dealer report say when they looked at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭User1998

I wouldn’t be going to a main dealer for tyres or wheel alignment. I would research what tyres have the longest life span and bring the car to a trusted tyre shop

• Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's just tires out of alignment. All heavy SUVs (or even heavy AWD sedans) suffer from excessive inner wear if the tires are not aligned correctly. I had similar in my old model S. You need to align the tires and suspension. It's not the car's fault.

Also, a landcruiser is a commercial tool (a fantastic one, and one of my favorite cars all time is the landcruiser amazon) and won't compare to an X5 which is a premium car SUV as opposed to an offroad & towing machine in the landcruiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Last time I saw tyres like that was on another X5 that was towing mini diggers!

Are you towing a lot with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

Thats a shocking level of wear but as others said you should have copped it sooner as the outside of the tyre is showing wear too. I would be banging BMW's door down asking them to sort it out as that level of mis-alignment isnt acceptable on a year old car. I would not entertain them saying its because of towing either, that car is made for towing.

With diesel as it is I'd be sticking with PHEV and going for a Landcruiser from that is a massive step down regardless of the price

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭kirving

It looks like it's been towing heavy loads on straight roads, with low profile tyres.

What is it rated to tow, and how is the load balanced?

My E-Class absolutely ate inner shoulders (relative to the rest of the tyre) as I did all motorway driving, and was otherwise aligned according to manufacturer spec.

Normally, the right hand tyre will be most heavily loaded in a left hand turn, but of course the vehicle will also be leaning right at this time. So the suspension is designed so that the tyre makes a flat contact patch, but only when the vehicle leans.

I'd be changing wheels wheels for a higher profile tyre, before changing to a new car.

Advertisement