Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edges of healthy laurel turning brown?

Options
  • 16-06-2022 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Hi, the 10 laurel plants were planted a year ago, bought them quite large at 4/5 feet. This happened again last year and went away. The very edges of the leaves in some of the plants are going brown, only about 2 or 3ml around the edge.

They have been regularly watered every 2/3 days during summer months when not raining. All have been fed with bone meal every 3 or 4 months. The hedge is very healthy with loads of new growth this summer. Wondering why this happens? I avoid watering the leaves in the sun although my partner may have done it once or twice. Apart from that I'm not sure. I assume the edges will just crisp off and the rest of the leaf will be ok. It's not on every leaf or every laurel I planeted, it's on about half of the 10 plants. Any suggestions on if I need to do anything or just leave them be? Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,293 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I doubt its anything to worry about, could be wind damage or a cold night on new leaves. The hedge does look as though it is ready to be clipped if you want a sturdy, solid hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yes that hedge badly needs to be clipped so it will "thicken" up and fill in

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

The wind lately has everything destroyed. Will be sound again though

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭pj12332

How/where would I clip folks? Haven't done it yet 😄 want to get it up to 7 feet for privacy and then maintain it there. At about 5.5 to 6 now. Would appreciate any advice thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭pj12332

Also the top 20cms are all new leaves that have grown in the past few weeks. If I clip them back will that encourage it to grow up again? I've a 1.2 metre fence about 90cms behind the hedge so have a lot of privacy down lower. Wanted to get the height for the privacy as my main concern. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Waters important this time of year, especially with the lack of heavy prolonged rain. After clipping it it might be a good idea to soak the ground. They're probably almost established but they definitely still need water this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,293 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you want a decent hedge in the long term you must clip it.

I know it is counter-intuitive but if you wait till it is the height you want you will always have a straggly, sad looking hedge and you will end up doing much more drastic cutting down to make it work (Laurel specifically). Cut the top and sides back to most of the new growth to make it thicken up. Don't do it in a heatwave and water it very well if the ground is dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Was tipped that if going brown/yellow, then a sulphate of iron recommended.

Advertisement