Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Bloomsday!

Options
  • 16-06-2022 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭

100 years, can you believe it? So, how are you celebrating? Kidney for breakfast? Davy Byrne’s for a cheese sandwich? Sweny’s for a bar of lemon soap?

I’ve got the RTÉ radio play on RTÉ Extra. A very enjoyable listen. I read a couple of chapters last night and will read a couple of my “favourite” ones later on too.

I’d recommend anyone who’s yet to read the great “work” to do so immediately. Don’t let all the indulgent phonies and lazy Arts graduates turn you off it by telling you it’s difficult, it’s no such thing. If you can read there’s no reason why you can’t finish this.

There’s something for everyone. In fact, the ‘Cyclops’ episode where Bloom encounters The Citizen might interest the type of user whom frequents the “Current Affairs” forum, the man is an unapologetic antisemite and xenophobe. 

The book is packed full of so many memorable scenes, from the beginning in the Martello tower, Bloom on the pot, having a “peddle” by the sea, the bizarre and deranged carry on in Nighttown, all the way through to Molly Bloom’s, hot and heavy, stream of consciousness at the end of the book.

A truly wondrous, epic, tale but, at its heart, the real star of the book is Dublin, itself. Dublin’s greatest “work”, and Ireland’s by extension.

Great to see that such a “fuss” is still being made to keep this story in the public consciousness.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Comments

Advertisement