Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hay 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

If dry ted daily for the 1st 3 days, then as it needs, often just the heavy parts and the back swards If it gets rain leaves it alone for that day unless there is serious drying that evening

Ted it out as soon as finished mowing in normal conditions

As easten said the power of the wind is huge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭alps

No idea of the "science" behind it, but looking at long range...not a drop of rain showing for our part of the world till into July at least..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭White Clover

Older generation here were always happy to see the birds building high up in the trees. It was meant as a sign of a dry warm summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Took the plunge yesterday. Not sure if I did right now. Crop looks heavier than I thought now that it’s down. I think I’ll wrap a good chunk of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

There's a marginal window of opportunity for hay over the next few days. This mornings rain was promised but this afternoon is going to clear. I wouldn't be touching it till tomorrow as it needs a days wilt before doing anything. It'll all depend on how cloudy these days remain. Sat/Sun/Mon/Tue are looking the best but no savage heat but there is a good breeze promised which is good enough. Mine is very strong steamy stuff so it should save, there is a few acres of leafy green which I may have to wrap for hayleadge. We'll see how it plays out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭James2022

And its raining

Despite the cloudy weather my hay dried up well and was ready to bale this evening. Today is lost so hopefully Saturday + Sunday are better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Good old Met Eireann....today was forecast to be the best day of the year....

Cloudy and pìssing rain all day.....

Do not trust them

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Met Eireann on the 7.55am forecast gave rain for today. They gave it on yesterday’s and this morning’s forecast. So in fairness they were correct.

I think that was from last Sundays forecast which was 5 days ahead. I don't think any of them are that accurate as there is 2 weather systems at play from the North west and then the heat wave from the southern Europe which would rise a lot of moisture. Even so they are now predicting a 0% chance of precipitation in the south from now until Weds. The BBC on the other hand are showing a 20% chance of showers on Saturday night, I do find the BBC weather more accurate lately.

If anyone has only cut since yesterday then that bit of rain will have no effect on it yet. Either way we have the benefit of always being able to wrap it if the weather doesn't play ball. Farmers years ago didn't have that luxury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭Sami23

Do the BBC have an app or when does it be on TV for Ireland

• Advertisement

idk have they an app, but just google "BBC weather Cork" or use Dublin or Shannon. There's a couple of Youtube weather channels too. https://www.youtube.com/c/metoffice is the best but again none of them can predict beyond 4 days in this type of changeable weather.

Haven't looked at any apps but I remember the Met.ie app was awful but maybe it's better now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭emaherx

Not much rain fell here today in the end but enough to not bother turning the hay. Decided to get baler ready and found a nice surprise while hooking it up 😩

Suppose it was better to deal with today than on whatever day I will end up baling.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭smokey-fitz

What kind of tedders are you lads using? I've only a c$%t of a haybob and been turning it daily since Sunday and it's still a few days off..

Can only ted in the evenings due to work, and the paddocks were quiet green due to been grazed earlier on. If it's not done by Sunday it's getting bagged.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mitchells33

Baled up here this evening at six. I was lucky a few showers passed within a few miles but missed me. Most have been loaded up and taken away. Best of luck to anyone else trying to save some

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭893bet

I have a **** of a haybob also. That’s not even working right.

it rained yesterday so made the call to bake as hay ledge today. Looking out the window this morning I am like “will I cancel him” and chance it again.

80 percent chance I would get it by Monday but 20 percent chance it would end up with a pile of **** in the field. Going to buy a Tedder I have decided to ****.

Post edited by 893bet on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Tileman

Today is lively around here. Tomo and Monday look good. No sign of rain here on weather so I would chance it but each to their own decision depending on where you are

Going to give the hay a shake in a bit. Nice bit of a breeze. Either bale tomorrow or Monday

Hold tough. With the way the weather is looking you will get it Monday.

On the haybob front, look towards the cappamore special. 😉😉 And go for at least a 6 rotor. Only way to cover ground

I'm using an old Haybob too. I reckon it's about 45 years old and i like pulling a bag of cans around. I think I'll be upgrading too at some stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Think alot of hay here is getting baled up and wrapped. Got alot of rain yesterday

• Advertisement

After shaking it out now, it's much better than I expected. Powerful drying in that breeze and we've a bit of Sun too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Contractor is coming in later this afternoon to bale and wrap ours. It should make nice haylage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Will make the finest of stuff here just I don't think the weather is gonna play ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Great to hear some part of the Country is basking in the Sun!.....has it being dry most of the week down south and in midlands?....have mainly heavy ground here that's not suited to wet spells we are unfortunately too used to in NW!

We have had an odd dry day in last few weeks but heavy rain most nights or days. I am just in from looking at hoggetts in a 'meadow field' that is usually taken up for Silage. I took 30 bales of Silage off it this time last year and didn't leave a track in the field!.....

It's well eaten and could see the track of my wellies in it today!

Will there be many people getting hay saved that didn't see rain at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

In Cork we have had some very good, warm sunny days the past week. Today is a bit dull, but tis dry and a nice breeze…

I see some hay saved around but not too much. Lot of silage made though…

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭James2022

Only a few hay bobs on the road. A lot of people didn't want to chance it with how inaccurate the weather forecasts have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭joe35

Didn't get it shook out today, was very wet all day yesterday. Sheared ewes today and it was a lovely day for shearing, nice and cool. It even looked like rain round 12 o clock.

Hay weather now, sunny with a lovely breeze.

Will turn tomorrow, hopefully twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭893bet

Baled this morning as hayledge. Was pretty cold this morning and dead.

of course the rest of the day was savage. Great sunshine and a breeze. Tomorrow and Monday will surely be the same and won’t see a drop of rain then till next weekend.

But shurlookit, tis home and stacked. All first cuts done. A small second cut should be fit in 3 weeks and then done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭50HX

Got caught with rain yesterday , no heavy rain but misty/heavy drizzle for 3 hours so that's it lost

Shake it out 2mor n bag it monday

Advertisement