Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Pride ends media partnership with RTE over Liveline's Gender Identity discussion

• 14-06-2022 10:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭

I listened to over 3 hours of that discussion on podcast yesterday. Both sides of the argument were voiced.

For Dublin Pride to take this action after all RTE's promotion of Pride and LGBT peoples lives is quite stunning but at the same predictable.

It's predicable because LGBT activists in this country have no tolerance for democratic debate on anything LGBT related. That is their stance which is a stereotypical far left attitude.

I am personally delighted they have taken this action because it exposes them for the types they are, which can only work to their ultimate disadvantage in the long run.

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

When a group can find fault with RTE for not being WOKE enough ,you know it's crazy clown world we are living in

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Pride is another Ponzi scheme. Gay people don't need rainbow flags to feel part of society.

Dr Panti Bliss-Cabrera, as she refers to herself - with no links to narcissism at all - said the following yesterday regarding the podcast and Liveline debate:

Without realising it, it's not Dublin Pride or "Dr Bliss-Cabrera" (with no links to narcissism) that's the problem at all. Hmm...

Sowing division in society does not end well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Lol. Is that a real tweet? Please tell me it's a spoof

• Advertisement

I wish it was a spoof.

A cursory glance at her Twitter feed regarding this Liveline matter reveals far worse besides.

Ah ffs. That guy has jumped the shark with that one.

Absolutely shooting themselves in the foot with this nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,790 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Toys out of their prams. Not a good look,

when they calm down and realise that to have they need rte more then rte needs them they’ll calm down..

that said I’d say a lot of media might be very careful with them after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,564 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I heard a good bit of the Liveline discussion but not all of it.

Based on what I heard I thought J Duffy moderated quite well and allowed a good discussion.

It's a difficult and complicated subject and Liveline gave it a good airing.

it's definitely a difficult and complicated subject. That's what makes it interesting to discuss and debate.

The problem I have is that this subject is almost always shut down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"Psychologically, speech which is full of hatred is the same as hitting someone. " 😂

Opposing view=hatred=physical violence

Unsuprisingly, the Toimes doesnt actually go into detail of what was said on RTE, perhaps for fear of someone being physically assaulted by reading about it. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It's not a tweet. it's an Irish Times headline.

O think they are right what they have done.

Why can we not just all live as one. Instead of the world going backwards it needs to go forwards.

If someone is gay or Lesbian or Trans big deal.

It should be a none issue at this stage.

It should be just like a person being straight is a none issue.

Let them live their lives and you live yours. Live and let live. The world would be a very boring place if everyone was the same.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Denny61

Thanks be to Christ ..if this means Normal topics and relevant to our everyday lives can now be discussed on likes of liveline.and other chat shows without being hijacked by lgbtw and what ever your having yourself lol.alleluia..and these groups push their agendas with insider help ..aka ..radio producers ..at best they should jst be tolerated..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,564 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yes and at times a hard listen for lunchtime radio.

However I stuck with most of it and gained some insights.

If Dublin Pride asked me for advice I'd say reconsider.

Agreed.

What matters is the cost of living crisis; how people can pay their bills; housing and the lack of it; the Ukraine war and its global implications; and so on. Normal issues that affect the entire population: both gay and straight.

This niche, which seems an almost upper-middle-class issue, appears to infect everything with the debate of how much of a victim certain people are regarding LGBT issues.

It's why I keep making the central point that ordinary, decent people will turn against LGBT people / rights issues, if this kind of nonsensical issue is raised almost incessantly.

I was talking about the tweet that I quoted....

I agree though, if someone is gay or straight, it shouldn't be a big deal.

It is a non issue to most people.

Which is why all this carry on is **** pathetic

Ms

Here you go,

Social Affairs

RTÉ’s Liveline accused of facilitating ‘hate speech’ against trans people

Coalition of groups launched at Dublin’s Mansion House to support transgender and non-binary people in Ireland

Lynne Tracey, the mother of a young trans person, LGBTQ+ youth activist Jayson Pope and Matt Kennedy of BeLonG To at the launch of Trans Equality Together in Dublin's Mansion House on Monday. Photograph: Julien Behal

By Patsy McGarry

Mon Jun 13 2022 - 20:42

Dublin’s lord mayor and a leading human rights activist have expressed anger at recent RTÉ Radio 1 Liveline programmes which dealt with transgender issues. Lord Mayor Alison Gilliland said the subject was “being played out in the most appalling, disgusting way on our national airwaves in the name of public debate”. What had taken place “actually hinders, and creates more division”, she added.

<snip> - 0nly 1 para permitted per site copyright policy

Details available at transequalitytogether.com

Post edited by Beasty on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

" jumped the shark"........ ha, haven't heard that expression in ages

When the term " ,make amends for this situation" is used does that mean we want€€€€€???

• Advertisement
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Dr? A professor of Gender discombobulation?

Oh the hate speech. 2 months in prison for me.

I thought he handled it all fairly well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Can I just walk into the ladies changing rooms at the gym for a peep and a poop and if anyone says anything I can call them a transphobe bigot and have them up on social media and fired from work.

Should get an apology from the gym also.

Is this how it would go down?

Tomorrow then I have 5 a side with the lads so I identify as man again. Anyone says anything then they are a transphobe bigot

5,000 trans people in the state,and 4 days coverage devoted to it on liveline

With greatest respect to the transfolk,that level of coverage seems extremely excessive per head population.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭briany

Agree with you to an extent. The militancy and goading of a minority of pro-trans people will not help their cause and likely increase the backlash against them, especially from the militants on the other side.

I haven't taken a poll on this, but there must be a lot of people in the middle-ground who are thinking, "Hang on, since when did the idea that there are two genders become a controversial stance?" You won't win those people over by attacking them.

Personally, I have no issue with someone self-identifying as whatever and with others respecting that identification, but if you have a penis or a vagina, it shouldn't really be surprising if someone regards you as male or female, respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭SunnySundays

Does anyone actually understand what was said that is being objected to? I can't seem to find the detail anywhere so difficult to have a view.

I really don't care whether a person is straight, gay, bi, trans etc. I judge people on how the treat me,very little else.

Usually like Panti,but I don't like being referred to as cis. I'm a woman and want to be referred to as a woman. If I can accept and respect the wishes of others, why can't they afford me the same courtesy.

Usual like Panti, but I don't like being referred to as cis. I'm a woman and want to be referred to as a woman. If I can accept and respect the wishes of others, why can't they afford me the same courtesy.

As with everything, it's a question of power.

The LGBT community has been supercharged with power because of their recent successes. Those successes have been absolutely worthwhile and necessary - such as normalizing gay existence in society, and equal marriage, and so on.

But what is now happening is not linked to the above, but rather an over-reach of power.

Power doesn't just give up power. When it has it, it keeps it. It keeps striving for more, and more, and more, and more. All we're seeing now is an example of precisely that.

I was talking about sexuality, not what people identify as.

Trans (and the rest of the non-binary) people are free to identify as whatever they want, but are not immune from people disagreeing with their self identification based on biological fact.

Have at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Power dynamics in any given society effect those of whom are at the bottom of the ladder , homeless, unemployed and in this situation trans people. I listened back to two shows and there was some very interesting points made from all sides of the debate. To me your post is missing the point - power does not seek more power (to suggest so is to invariably say that we as a community are corrupt), its seeking an equality of opportunity. I can get on board with the notion that we really should not have to divulge our sexuality to people (if we like them). Till the language that is used stops dehumanising trans people then that cry for equality wont stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Absolutely, people are entitled to disagree - its just the law that allowed them to identify as they wish so at the end of the day - we voted in the governement with a mandate who made these laws so invariably most agree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Trans Activists are acting like children here. When did people forget that just because you are offended by something does not mean you are right.

A Reminder:

-A women: has a uterus and womb and can procreate

-A trans women: uses chemicals to appear like a woman on the outside.

This was common knowledge until about 5 days ago.

Post edited by John Doe1 on

I don't get how you don't get what the issue is here. To spell it out for you, the objection is that RTE facilitated a discussion on Gender ID. The whole point of the Liveline show is to discuss topics of interest, just like all political shows like Primetime etc. How on earth can you support the banning of discussing any particular topic?

I''ll put it to you like this, are their any circumstances where Dublin Pride would not object to live discussion on any of the Gender related topics at all, like say trans participation in sport? NO, of course they wouldn't. And that's exactly what is happening here. You would think they would avail of the opportunity to put their points/arguments across, but no, they would prefer not to do that. Wonder why eh.

I would say going back to Liveline debates on homosexuality 10/20 years ago it benefited us that those discussions where aired, because it exposed some of the weird usually religion based objections that didn't make sense. Why don't Dublin Pride feel that can gain this same advantage in relation to gender topics in the same way? It all just shows they don't think they can win the argument so they don't want the discussion at all, but just piggyback of gay rights won instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Them were the days of common sense.

Last week I identified as a brick... I had to build up to it 😀

For a people who want tolerance and equality its interesting that the multi lettered community so often fails to show it.

Yeah there is a whole movement in the west now which has been built to fill the void of religion and it is just as illogical and prone to punish the non-believers.

• Advertisement

I don't think there's much point in going off on a 'what is a woman' thing here. The specific issue here is the strategy of LGBT trans activists shutting down debate. They are infamous for it. Sorry for back seat modding, but you know what'll happen this thread if...

Unless the discussion only involves saying trans people are all great, should be allowed compete in any gender category they want, that gender doesn't matter but is also the most important thing, that genitals don't matter but that this particular kind of child genital mutilation is a-OK then no, they wouldn't be happy with any "discussion".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,411 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I expect Ryan T to give an apology tomorrow for RTE as an organisation and perhaps will include 'the straight people of Ireland' in it, perhaps RTE would donate €8 million of licence payers money to the parade to make amends. Will Duffy be suspended for 2 weeks like the 2 Johnnies were when they discussed car stickers that some people found offensive even though it was a seperate podcast and wasn't even broadcast on RTE.

There will be a late late show discussing homophobia and transphobia in Ireland and that we have to 'do better'

Nobody is saying differently.

There are infinite amount of genders. So I guess anyone can be anything.

But reality and facts are more important than feelings.

I can't identify as a millionaire and expect the bank to give me the money I identify as having.

It's perfectly legal for me to identify as a millionaire though.

But when you say people use dehumanising language towards trans people, does that include people using terms related to their biological sex?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭standardg60

Be even more boring if everyone held the same view, and anyone who didn't was silenced

No need. I've identified that I've done enough.

If this development didn't involve RTE then yes, you might expect something like that. But it does involve RTE and I don't think they will react they way you suggest. If anything they will feel irked, and rightly so. I think Dublin Pride have made the mistake in believing that RTE's remit is to cater primarily to minorities. They could be forgiven for believing that of late, but in reality it's not true, and nor should it be.

I think part of it is to do with power, or rather influence. The influence they have over their own community, their internet presence, and the influence to tweak the interest of media or other organisations. But the bigger side of this is how to remain relevant.

All the major fights have been won. The LGBQ community is firmly established in society, and while some people might be uncomfortable with open displays of that sexuality most of society has accepted that it's time to move on. Equality is here, and those rights are protected. Yay!. Brilliant.

However, what do people whose whole life has been focused on activism/advocacy/outrage do when the battles are won? They find a new enemy, or reinvent the problems again. The same thing happened with feminism. They won. Equality was accepted and protected, and they couldn't stop. So, they went further with feminism, while also (and here's the important bit), adopted the causes for other groups who they considered marginalised... and began to be activists for those crusades. (while retaining their validation from their older crusades/movements)

The LGBQ community did exactly the same with the T. Transgenderism is not about sexuality. It's about identity, for the most part, which makes it dramatically different from the old LGBQ movement. Also, the numbers of T were miniscule, even compared to the numbers of Q. And yet, they had captured the attention of people in the US, and that made them worthy of being supported. And then, the LGBQ community fractured, with many advocating for the T, with the remainder just getting on with their lives, while being mildly irritated at being directly associated with the T.

The activists, leaders, spokespeople, etc are all fighting to stay relevant. That's it. Otherwise what would they do with themselves? (apart from the rather lucrative aspects of activism if you can build a following, which isn't that difficult when outrage is your voice).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I heard this tonight on RTE 9pm news

I know Joe and Liveline can get heated but is this a bit much from Pride committee etc.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

One of the key aspects of the marriage equality referendum was balanced and measured conversations which won hearts and minds. As a country we embraced this important change and celebrated it. That hearts and minds approach has diminished it seems - pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

As the great Norm McDonald said, referring to the term cismale, "it's a way of marginalizing a normal person." :) I don't care for that term and I'm never going to use it because a small minority think we should use it. I'm for respect but it's a two-way street. Those who want respect give respect, including respecting my refusal to use made up words.

However, what do people whose whole life has been focused on activism/advocacy/outrage do when the battles are won? 

My though's exactly.

There appears to be in this county a cabal of old relic activists who typically identify as 'Queer' (not as in homosexual). People who literally live in an LGBT World 24/7, who only have LGBT fiends, only socialize on the LGBT social scene, distance themselves from their family in favour of their adopted one.

There was one caller on Liveline, a lesbian, who fit's that description. She's says she 'has loads of transgender and non-binary friends. How on earth could anyone have loads of 'non-binary' friends. Unless you live in an sort of lgbt sub-culture which ironically doesn't sound to me she's interested in living in a diverse world herself, rather the complete opposite.

This particular caller claimed that Ireland has 'imported' negative trans attitudes from the UK, but at the same time everything she said was stereotypical leftist gender ideology attitudes that have been imported from the US. I didn't hear an original argument from her for all the time she was given to speak.

These types of people, who as I say typically identify as queer, as in socially queer, are exactly the types of people who have this 'no debate' attitude and are at the root of the problem. What really boils my gut with these types of people is they are constantly given a media presence, speak as if they are representatives for the gay demographic. In their minds they are, because they think they live in the only gay world that exists, but the reality is they are actually a tiny sub culture within the wider gay demographic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement