Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think justice was served here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I tend to view the death of a 16 year old as a tragedy, even in this scenario. One can do that and also believe that justice was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

While Mr Bento has been cleared and is free to do whatever he wants now, he would be well advised to avoid the East Wall area. In fact any food delivery cyclists should avoid the area for a while as there may be angry misguided people down there who don't agree with the verdict and may be looking for retribution.

It does look like the court got the verdict right.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,258 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think it would have been a shame for him to be sent to prison. I think his actions from end to end were heroic. Standing up for his friend and facing down a group of teenagers outnumbered while his friend was on the ground in a vulnerable position. I lack an ounce of sympathy for the teenagers in question who bit off more than they could chew, and would have kicked and punched those two Brazilian lads until they were bored if they hadn’t met any resistance.

Justice was done imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Compensation? Unlikely. Unless it could be proven that the DPP brought a vexatious prosecution or brought a prosecution not in accordance with the law.

A sad set of circumstances all-round.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I wouldn't be delivering anything down there tonight

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Id probably be giving it a few weeks if I was a delivery person.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,088 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

just goes to show how little regard and trust people have in our Gardai and by extension the overall criminal justice system that they are now forced to go and sort their own problems out with weapons.…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭furiousox

Where's the BLM crowd?

My popcorn's getting cold.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭kirving

Whether it was vexatious or not, the DPP equally have no way of proving that he would have absconded or stayed for the trial, but he was imprisoned anyway. I don't know why it took so long to build a case, or if either side was responsible for it, but 500 days seems ridiculously long to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Government need to get the finger out on anti social crime in the city and north inner city. It's hugely damaging.

This was a needless loss of life. If there was more of a visible Garda presence in that area, there would be a good chance it would never have happened.

There was also a deliveroo cyclist killed by joyriders and a woman stabbed in the neck in the past couple of years. These are just 2 incidents of many. Don't tell me there isn't a problem. I live there.

• Advertisement

Brazil does not extradite its own nationals. Had he absconded back to his home country, he would have never gone to trial. As regretable as it is the way the trial turned out, the state has very few options but to detain in such circumstances. I think I recall he booked flights shortly after the incident, so their hands were tied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Before this happened, I heard of one Brazilian guy working in a well known bar close to O'Connell Street that needed a scooter to get home at night. After he was beaten and robbed twice, he bought a replica gun to deter anyone who tries to Rob him again. These are just hard working people that want to do their jobs and get on with their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭kirving

That makes sense. Booking flights is about the worst thing you can do. Better off to offer the passport at first opportunity and hope they allow bail in such cirsumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,887 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It came up in the trial that Bento's fiancee booked flights for them to immediately leave Ireland for Brazil after the incident, but before he was arrested.

No judge would have bailed him in such circumstances. Objectively, he was a flight risk - particularly because Brazil doesn't extradite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Did the deceased have a criminal record? Everyone seems to be associating him with gang culture. I noted in the rte report that the family of the deceased just accepted the verdict in silence and havent made a statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Its a funny/strange one. Under no circumstances should anyone be carrying a knife with them but on the other hand I completely understand the accused's reaction & his willingness to defend himself and his friend. Was his response a proportionate response which would indicate self defense, the jury were privy to more information regarding this then we'll ever be I guess. I do think the recent spate of attacks from youngsters on the streets of Dublin played a role in getting the man off though.

I think questions need to be asked of the DPP to bring a murder charge against him as he was never going to be convicted on that, at best, manslaughter. More & more cases with slim to no chance of winning are being brought to court these days. Its putting the people involved through extremely stressful situations & wasting the courts time not to mention the taxpayers money. Claire Loftus seems to be taking the scattergun approach. She needs sacking imo, completely out of her depth.

It does set a dangerous precedent now that defending yourself and stabbing someone to death could result in getting you off. On the other hand, it hopefully sends a message to young feral scrotes that if you play with fire, you might get burnt.

As I understand it with regard to the bail situation, he had booked flights but then decided to stay and go the gards. I still understand why it was refused though, people can have second thoughts especially with Brazils refusal to extradite its own citizens.

Brazil doesn't extradite Irish nationals too easily either! It must have taken the DPP a decade to get Michael Lynn home to face justice, by which time, conveniently, many of the people with whom who he claimed to have had verbal agreements with were unavailable as witnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Claire Loftus finished her term last November.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Whatever. Better footballers; they said and we’ve lost a good ‘un.

More blood spilt on Irish soil, Bohemians produce and all now if only these brasilians would start coming through ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Glad to see this verdict, justice done

The feral scrotes of the inner city might think twice next time. They got worse during the pandemic.

Next one is to see whether they bottle the case of the bastard that stabbed that nurse in the neck on her way home from work.

“I didn’t know stabbing her in the neck could kill her” piss off, absolute degenerate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭bmc58

Both sides try and get on with their lives,however hard it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Anything which puts fear into the wee scrotes that infest Dublin city centre is good.

They should round these vermin up and put them into a year on military service.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,500 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So will all those teenagers now be arrested and charged with assulting those two men and stealing the bike or do they get off scott free and it was them that sadly cost their friend his life by taking the action of stealing the bike.

Justice done for that man now that he has been rightly found not guilty but not fully carried out till those teenagers are charged for what they did and face a jury of their peers or a judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭bmc58

While we Irish don't carry knives to cut fruit other nationalites probably do.Cultures differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Everlong1

A rare and welcome occasion of the rights of decent working people being vindicated over those of scumbags. Wish we saw more of it. The only option available now for anyone who wants to walk the streets of Dublin without fear of being being attacked by scum is to take self defence training.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Some of those teens were charged with offenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,160 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That’s not an excuse when living here, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

The scrotes mother said on FB that she will seek justice for her son until her dying day

Fuck him and his scumbag mates

She should have brought him up better

HIm being a “talented”footballer doesn’t mean he is not a scumbag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Good to hear it but she still would have had the final say whether or not to go ahead with this case or not back when he was charged.

Advertisement