Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest pints around Dublin City?

Options
  • 09-06-2022 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Where around town has the most affordable pint of Guinness there days?

Havent been in town in a few months, snug pub off aungier Street was 4.70 a few months ago, anywhere come close?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

If you have to ask the price Buddy, then you probably can't afford. And you don't sound the like the type most pubs would want

• Registered Users Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Weatherspoons has the cheapest pints in town but don’t think they serve Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭vafankillar

Kindly piss off if you've nothing to add mate

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Just head in and go to wherever looks ok, I find the cheaper the pints the scummier the clientele... So a few quid extra will improve things.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

I'm not your mate. Now fu*k off to one of your scumbag boozers where you can drink cheap muck to your hearts content

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Fiver in the lamplighter off meath st still...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lamplighter was decent enough when I was there, "new" (five years plus by now I'm sure) owners have really changed the place. Also have Dillons on Parkgate.

Very traditional Dub locals, but there is nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I'm a local to D8 but not a dub, and the place is grand. I'm not a regular in there by any means, was asked 2-3 years back if i was a guard, but its not a flaming kip to be avoided

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Donnie2022

I drink Coors and can't fault Witherspoons for their 4.20

There is a bit of a drop quality wise that you just know just whatever your regular drink is

But it's not a €2 plus drop in quality as reflected by the drop in price.

I've had worse, a lot worse

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Agree 100%with you on Dillions. The owners have done a very nice job with yet still retained most of the local clientele.

Its a massive improvements form when it was Walshs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If it's like the UK branches they've switched to UK brewed versions of their international lagers and it's effectively badly flavoured water.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

AFAIK all the Coors in Ireland is brewed in the UK now so it's the same beer in Wetherspoon as everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Karma in Handel's hotel on Fishamble Street was the cheapest 568ml in Dublin last time I looked. Not sure if 2003 prices are still relevant, though!

PS: 'An Club' [Club Chonradh na Gaeilge] on Harcourt Street probably does have the cheapest pints in Dublin in 2022, though. You just have to speak Irish while there. A great, secret spot in the city with all sorts of music and events from time to time. Some brilliant seisiúin start spontaneously.

https://www.anclub.ie/

The basement in this building, you can see the sign over it: https://ga.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conradh_na_Gaeilge#/media/%C3%8Domh%C3%A1:Conradh_na_Gaeilge_Baile_%C3%81tha_Cliath_2006.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

The Clock Pub on Thomas street, all pints €5

https://www.facebook.com/theclockpub/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Karma is long gone, its replacement (a branch of the Oscars/Refresh setup) is also long gone and Handels are due to open a replacement bar at some point.

Wetherspoons will be cheaper than An Club, and will always be the answer for the cheapest pints - though it won't be pints of Guinness. If you can speak Irish you aren't that likely to be fond of Wetherspoons!

I don't know any other Dublin pubs that have Irish language signage throughout the premises 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

What’s up with Wetherspoons and Irish?

What's up with every other pub not bothering to respect our first official?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Caulfields hotel, Dorset street. Went in there a few times before a Croker Match. Older folks who really love their pints but a nice old crowd there that will chat to anyone. Reminds me of a place stuck in the 80s but has it's own little charm. Pints really cheap too! Around four or five years ago pints there were €3.20 for special imported lagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,003 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The rot set in when they stopped playing the National Anthem at closing time.

Then they banned happy hour and I lost all respect for Official Ireland's handling of alcohol.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

If only Wetherspoons did music...

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭vafankillar

caulfields hotel is gone now & replaced with a more modern plub, dorset lounge i think, havven't been in yet tho

lot of the old looking bars have disappeared or replaced in the last 2 years, real shame

5 yeas in long time in pint-price years, cheapest in 2020 before the pandemic was the snug at around €3.60 which is just under a €5 now i believe

I'm fairly sure the Dorset Lounge ex Caulfields is gone. Planning went in ages ago to convert the bar areas to more rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Thats a pity - I'd harbour a bit of warmth in my heart for an establishment in the vein of what Caulfields was. There was a raw, but friendly and warm Dub who in his or her late middle years (but looked a few more years further on) would pick you out for a generic chat, buy your kid a pack of crisps or coca cola in order to proceed to enjoy those fifteen minutes with you in the smoking area rambling on about whatever. It was nice.

Advertisement