Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drunk messages

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭standardg60

Don't agree with this at all to be honest. For me 'thought you were losing interest' is a feeble excuse and an attempt to shift the blame to the OP, they were engaged at the end of the day. Secondly i feel the drinking is masking unhappiness rather than simply addiction. He now admits remembering the texts so it wasn't a case of drinking to blacking out (another excuse).

Maybe it was the impending wedding which was bringing things to a boil for him, drinking and crying out for help to the ex of all people, after eight years with the OP.

There is no going back for me here, OP deserves better and he needs to deal with the ex issues, if that's possible.

• Administrators Posts: 14,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

@Printer25 I have merged your 2 threads. There is no need to start multiple threads on the same topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

You don't have to agree with it. It's the OP who needs to decide on the best course of action. We know very little of the situation and of the OP and partner, so it's all too easy to say end it as we have no skin in the game. It's also reckless if anyone suggests this without having any detail or insight.

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭standardg60

It's hardly reckless, OP is looking for advice and opinions, they don't have to follow any of them. I'm posting based on my thoughts as a man as how i would perceive his behaviour which the OP wouldn't be familiar with.

We could all post ah feel for you but it's up to you and hope it works out heart emojis and feel great about ourselves for empathising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

It is reckless to encourage the OP to end the relationship. While she doesn’t have to follow any advice here, she is clearly confused, conflicted and likely not in her right frame of mind.

As a man, I don’t assume to know very much about her situation; certainly far too little to tell her to toss her fiancé and move on. But I do know that taking a step back, communicating honestly and setting boundaries will help the OP no matter her decision. No heart emojis needed for those of us with a mature way of communicating our views.

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

OP, I think you need to put yourself first and focus on your own recovery. You can’t control his behaviour, only your own so do what’s best for you.

He needs to sort himself out, you are not his Mother.

This is No. 1 on the list of “what I wished I knew before we got married”. You’ve got the warning, take it as your lucky day. Too many others find this out after the fact when they are stuck and that’s when resentment really kicks in.

life is hard enough without creating additional drama, at the end of the day, finding someone honest and good to you is priority, it’s not this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Printer25

I identify better on this perception to be honest. I was in complete shock, i am now conflicted and emotionally struggling and the setting boundaries from here on it will help both of us.My inability to set boundaries from the beginning of the relationship was my failing. I take the decision that is to be made seriously. I am taking the time out to make the decision. I have to work through my trust issues while he works through his alcohol issues. Both of us needed to review our communication issues as him ' feeling I was losing interest' should have been communicated to me and I need to communicate clearly now on what I will accept going forward and start putting my feelings first instead of his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

He has drink problems and messages his ex when he's drunk, he is most definitely making moves on other women when he's out and no doubt women has responded to his advances in the past . Telling you he 'doesn't remember' is his way of dodging any blame or accusations for his own behaviour. If you marry him, this behaviour won't stop, you'll just be married to an alcoholic who cheats on you. Is that what you want your future to be like? BTW he won't change! He might for a short time until he wins you back and gains your trust but he is who he is.

Advertisement