Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

USB-C For everything

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,515 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Apple phones have a different connection to apple laptops. That's just stupid.

USB C is improving all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Perhaps it's been mentioned but it doesn't appear this will be straight forward for Apple, Don't their charging ports do other functions, detect non apple chargers, sync with other apple devices etc, I'm no expert but just curious can they now design these functions /capabilities to be compatible with USB C functionality which seems to very basic and if so, I'd assume it will be expensive to redesign their technology/ software . Just more curious than anything 🤔

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

They have USB C on their laptops and Desktops that already do all this stuff. They are also one of the most profitable companies on the planet.

I think they'll manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,144 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

they will have no problem synching with using USB-C. the detection of non apple chargers was purely to lock out third party suppliers and force people to buy apple branded chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Cordell

USB C only designates the connector, not the protocol and additional features. Apple can easily use only the power delivery feature for charging and that will put them on the right side of this regulation, but they can still have their own custom communication protocol to detect Apple chargers and whatever else. Like Thunderbolt, which is not an USB protocol but it still uses the USB C connector.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

USB C has double the number of connections it needs to allow for it to be orientated either way, lightning doesn't but the ports can detect which way it is so it's the port doing the work to figure out which way you're putting it in. So the lightning port can be physically smaller than a USB C port can be.

Even on the laptops there's still the difference with thunderbolt vs USB C 3.2 gen2/ 3 gen 2 or whatever they've renamed them to recently.

I think the biggest thing from all this is standardizing the fast charging, that was the most problematic difference even among those using USB C.

Simple adapters can sort USB C to Lightning but the vast differences between the charging standards was a bigger issue as fast charging could be limited to USB C charger from that phone manufacturer.

There are still lots of different fast charging standards even with USB-C. The phone and the charger have to have the same standard to give Max charging.

The duplication of USB C connections is not a problem. Only the ground and power connections are truly duplicated and this is actually beneficial for power delivery, which is much higher than what lightning port can do.

The device and the charger negotiate their capabilities and pick the fast charging speed they are both capable of. This is a feature not a bug.

• Advertisement

I know from testing lots of chargers that many that claim to be "fast chargers" are not.

I have chargers from Aukey, Anker, Xiaomi and pixel and it's hit and miss if they do what they claim to on the box. We have QC, PD, IQ, Turbo Charge some are standards some are the standard relabeled. Not all will do their advertised speeds.

Then you have to to test the cable to see if it can support the charging speed and isn't damaged.

The vast majority of people don't check to see if their fast charging is actually charging at max speed.

a charger labelled only as a fast charger is meaningless. As you say you need to know what protocols it is capable of. What works as a fast charger with a samsung phone will not necessarily work as a fast charger with a different brand.

It's not even just phones. Our work headphones came with a cable that barely charges them.

does the cable itself make much of a difference? It is the charger/usb port it is plugged into that makes the difference.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hugely. Internally thin cables cannot carry enough power.

The cable supplied is to too thin to take a decent charge. It was under 500ma anyway. Wasn't supplied with a charger. I was wondering why it took do long to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,631 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A few years ago when the phone manufacturers all pursued “FAST” charging, that was the phone generation or two where phones were known to spontaneously combust. There are physical limits to how hard you can push rechargeable batteries

my old Lumia was fast charge QC2.0 in 2015.

fast for the time but old hat now. that is only 18W charging. the latest can do 45W.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lol @ Apple with their stifling innovation. More like stifling profit, their own lightning cables are massively over priced and break easily, also they will be missing out on the $4 a cable they make through their Made For Apple program for 3rd party suppliers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,872 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I got a Lightning cable a couple of years ago in Euro 2 for my work iPhone, works just as well as the Apple cable.

Euro shop USB-C cables are rubbish unfortunately, I bought two different ones which barely charge my phone at all, I had to spend €9 in Power City to get a decent one.

Life ain't always empty.

Well, yes, you're right, but to be fair lightning should be compared with micro USB, which is worse in all aspects and generally an abomination all around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If you're being fair, then micro (and mini) USB should be compared to this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Apple have put usb-c into their laptops and higher end tablets (and I own two of these), they've basically already admitted it's the way to go. It's kind of laughable when they bring out another iPhone for €1200 and it's STILL using lightning port in 2022. As said before, this was nothing more than using their market dominance to maximise revenue. Stifling innovation? Nonsense.

I'm assuming they'll be ok to keep magsafe on their laptops? You can still charge the laptop via one of the usb-c ports.

TBH I'm not sure that is worse than micro USB.

And it's not like I'm an Apple fan or even customer, but if I remember correctly while micro USB was just establishing itself as the new standard they launched the lightning connector. Galaxy S7 launched in 2016 had micro USB, not USB C.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Micro preceded lightning by 4-5 years, Android was on a mix of Mini and Micro, mostly micro. Micro is still used on a lot of new devices today, so will certainly outlive lightning as a useful standard (simple to implement, simple connector). My G1 was mini and my Nexus 1 was micro.

Some Android manufacturers stuck with micro for way too long once C was out (I think Google moved first), Samsung sold it as their way of allowing old chargers to work (same as they kept the mini-jack for headphones) when really it was about saving redesign costs on the yearly update.

>>Micro preceded lightning by 4-5 years

And it stuck around 4-5 years too long :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Polar101

Well, Apple can still sell small laptops without touchscreens (so that they can sell iPads), and I'm sure they'll come up with a special USB-C - Lightning dongle for just €69.

• Advertisement

Touch screen laptops never made much sense for me personally. So I agree with them there.

Advertisement