Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is a long weekend called Bank Holiday Monday? Who cares if the banks are on holiday. Lazy fu-cks

Options
  • 06-06-2022 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Why can they not just call it a Holiday weekend or Holiday Monday. Its not just the lazy fu-cking bankers that are on holidays and yes I am angry at the banks.

I say we should protest and get it changed to just a Holiday weekend. Who is with me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭Allinall

Every weekend is a bank holiday weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

How do we protest? Plackards, sit ins, block traffic, chain ourselves to railings?

I mean this is bank holiday Monday so it’s me day off

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

We protest in front of the banks well the ones that are left anyway that it should no longer be called a bank Holiday unless you like the fact that it basically means banks control you and that's why it is called a bank Holiday. It has to stop. The banks can still have there Holiday on the same days but it will just be a Holiday. Besides its not like they over do it during the full weeks they are open most do not open on Saturdays or Sundays and some even close early on Fridays.

Maybe the retail sector should have a bank Holiday to in there name and the Constuction sector and maybe even the IT Sector. They all work harder than the banking sector does and yet it has bank holidays named after them. It makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

I was saying Boo-urns

• Registered Users Posts: 13,480 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The correct term for today is public holiday anyway, but by all means continue to waste your energy being annoyed over absolutely nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Initially, the idea was that only banks and financial institutions would close on these particular days.

As time passed on everyone got in on the act.

They were intriduced in the U.k by a guy called John Lubbock in the 1870's and he was a banker as you may have guessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It is a public holiday.

There are nine public holidays.

There are two extra bank holidays, on top of the nine public holidays.

Advertisement