Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wimbledon 2022

Options

Comments

Truly elite physical level athletes on display in the Eastbourne final as befits the top end of the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppy37

That’s out of line Glasso, body shaming is never okay.

That's the world number 17 on the WTA.

to boot in a final (even if it is a lower final points-wise)

She's out there competing in a televised match for the titles and the prizemoney. - so she's out there.

Obviously being fleet of movement isn't that important on the ladies' side to make it to the Top 20

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppy37

You are constantly insulting and demeaning the women’s tour and tbh I’m not interested in discussing the merits of the Wta with someone as misogynistic as you.

I won’t be contributing much to this thread as I’m out of the country on Monday until mens semi final day and will catch very little tennis.

But I stand by my comment body shaming, be it towards male or female is never ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Hardly body shaming FFS

• Advertisement

I would agree that's not "body-shaming" imo

plus I called out that guy Jiri Vesely for looking more like a second-row rugby forward than a tennis player a while ago

then again he's nowhere near the Top 20

also there was worse posted by others on the "conditioning" of Osaka

If supposed professional athletes (something relevant to the role really also) are playing televised matches it's there on television or youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cudsy1

30 years ago tomorrow -

...Richard Krajicek, you merely call women players “fat, lazy pigs”

I noticed ostapenko's 'build' this week alright. Thought it interesting she's so successful with such a build. Trying to think of a male equivalent. Tiafoe maybe?

Individual professional sport is obviously different to team sport in that you can turn up how you want effectively.

That doesn't fly in a team professional sports environment or even higher level amateur teams today like even Inter-county GAA probably where the actual real "body-shaming" would come hard-and-fast and in no uncertain terms

Outside completely unathletic "sports" like darts for example and middle ground cases like golf (increasingly less common there with the current generation) "normally" the sport itself would weed out the issue because results don't come in that "condition" because the level wouldn't allow for it

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

First round draw for Norrie looked very kind...and so it is proving so far... 6-0 against Andujar.

Andujar broke in first game of second set...and now break for rain...the joys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Hurkacz is big trouble, down two sets to love to Davidovic Fokina (think that's how it's spelt..)

• Advertisement

Djokovic a bit rusty in this second set with Kwon 2-4 down

Kwon takes the second set against Djokovic!

Corrie missed some match points before rain but in control

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭squigglestrebor

Oh god somebody check on Glasso! Alcaraz and Novak doing poorly.

This Kwon Djokovic match is terrific fun!

Alcaraz has lost first set 6-4.

In fairness it is only his third match on grass seemingly.

Djokovic breaks and serving for second set, he hasn't been great but took his chance! Kwon didn't alas.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

That's a horror first round match for Hurkacz, surprised Davidovich-Fokina is unseeded.

Also surprised Djokovic has had some trouble here, thought this would be plane sailing all the way. Not sure I've even heard of Kwon tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Alcaraz not having it his own way at all here.....

I've just turned on - anyone hear or know why he's wearing an arm sleeve/support?

Djokovic breaks in the 4th that kinda feels like it...

Kwon had chances.

Djokovic through in 4 sets.

Not great but understandably rusty I suppose.

Raducanu next...not sure if I can listen to the hyperbolic commentary....Andrew Castle is cloying to say the least...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I was watching earlier while rain had stopped play, and I know they have to fill the time with something, but it was just toe-curling.

I feel really sorry for her, and hope she can ignore all the ridiculous hype.

Anabel Croft was trying to put a bit of perspective on it all (cementing her place as my favourite commentator bar none), but they just wouldn't stop.

Haha, some of the rereg trolls have been rebanned I see (rip Horn_of_Africa) but some are skicking/ stinking around and despite recent protestations that they should not troll / stay out of x's way it's straight back in on the trolling lol!

A shite never changes its smell.

Djokovic wraps it up comfortably in the end

Some casual observers wouldn't even be aware of stats like that below about the best ever players to play the game

As if they are going every game or set or something when they win not much over 50% of total points lol

Kwon played a very attacking second set in fairness to him and Djokovic dropped his level

It's human players here, not robots following computer programs

Meanwhile Alcaraz has had precisely one visit to Wimbledon ever before where it can take years to get the hang of the bounce off grass and movement on the surface

Federer and Sampras took 5 goes of Wimbledon each before a win

Also having only played an exhibition match on grass with no competitive matches at all either and a possible elbow injury it's very much unknown how he'll do here

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Raducanu up now. She said a couple of days ago she was fit and ready to go, I hope that's actually true and she's not playing when she's blatantly not able.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So I use the sky go app which has blocked bbc 1 and 2 so I’m not sure how much I’m going to see. I’ll have to settle for the radio commentary it seems.

If you suspect someone is a re-reg then report it to admin. Not the first time I've mentioned this on the thread to you either.

Hahahahah , Alcaraz to still be no1 by the end of this year yeah?

Looking like a fantastic recovery from Hurkacz! Edit or not. That looked like an absolute rollercoster.

Post edited by squigglestrebor on

you would think that even the dumbest dogs in the street would know at this stage that there are exactly zero ranking points available for Wimbledon this year

but no, it's not the case it seems!

the same crowd obviously don't know either that Alcaraz is 3rd in world in the current year rankings, only a paltry few points behind Tsitsipas who is 2nd!

and what's Alcaraz's best surface - ok yeah - it's hard court which literally every tournament of note for the entire rest of the year is going to be played on.

never mind the fact that I never said Alcaraz would get to No.1 by the end of the year - I said that he had a chance of beating Hewitt's record as the youngest ever world No.1 ATP Player

some people have unequivocally proven that they don't have the remotest bog about tennis and therefore are not even worth considering in the slightest

they have nothing of any use to say lol

Struff now serving against Alcaraz for a 2 set to 1 lead...and takes it

Raducanu looks up for it to me..but very tough battle to hold her first service game...Van Uytvanck tricky.

• Advertisement

Hahaha mate he is losing to a bloke who has won 1 of his last 11 matchs. His win percentage is better on clay.

Advertisement