Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two motorcyclists killed today on M50

Options
  • 03-06-2022 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭

RIP

I was on that road around that time today Northbound. Traffic was extremely heavy but moving. I was filtering between lane 2 and 3 and was gaining on a bile in front of me doing the same but then I took the Ballymount exit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

RIP and condolences to the family and friends, poor lads were probably off for a fun filed weekend away

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭sonyvision

RIP to both riders. Used the M50 daily on a bike for 3 years untill WFH with covid. The bike is now sold and my partner is greatfull, it's her biggest fear. Read online the truck driver was involved, sad for all parties involved and the family left behind.

Awful. I don't understand, everyone in the same direction at the same speed. I cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

RIP, bikes are lethal. Even if you are in the right you'll end up on the wrong side when involved in an accident.

Had bikes for 7 years in the 90s, roads a lot less busy then and luckily never involved in a serious accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dbas

Very sad outcome for the men and their families

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

Its always sad when there is loss of life on our roads I really feel for all involved.

Blanket statements like bikes are lethal are not helpful in this situation and diminishes what is a sad loss of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Very sad and a gruesome scene by all accounts. I drove by going southbound at about 4.30, emergency services looked very sombre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

People drive too close.

People switch lanes without proper indication , blindspot checking etc.

People are distracted on phones etc

Lots of reasons why accidents can happen.

The fact that they've asked people to stop sharing WhatsApp images of the scene..... seriously who are these people that take photos of a horrific accident and then share them, absolutely no respect.

RIP to the men.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Last few years before covid I had to commute to work on the M50 too on the bike. Hated it. Absolutely hated it. WFH now. Only take the bike out for pleasure now.

RIP to these two men. Very sad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

yeah, thankfully not doing the rounds in the two group chats im in.

But i have heard it was going around, bit insensitive, imagine if one of their kids saw it.

From what I've heard it was two lads from the UK touring, my OH had been told the two bikes clipped each other and hit the deck in front of the truck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

pretty much what I heard. I wasn't there and I've no intention in watching the video.

But that sucks for their families big time!

Actually just saw a news report saying the same.

It's more than a bit insensitive.

Absolutely no one (of the general public) needs to see pictures of any type of accident especially a fatal one.

It's poor taste and reduces the lose of a human life to some sort of "entertainment".

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've no idea why someone would feel the need to send on a video of tragic fatalities.

That's awful but tailgating is far too common along the M50. Quite often, if you try and leave room behind someone, you can expect another driver to take the space soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,686 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No matter how safe everyone tries to be on a motorway with speed and volume and decisions, there will always be carnage from time to time. It’s only when you’re smack bang in the middle of it at 120 kph with dozens cars in your vision that you realize the dangers!

Desperate waste if life. RIP

I always try to leave a good gap especially if weather conditions are really poor but it's just an invitation to lane jumpers.

Even more so if traffic has slowed right down ...I want a good space between me and the car Infront encase what's coming behind me hasn't copped that we are now stopped. At least if you're rear-ended there's some room to go before you hit the car Infront.

I'll be honest after many spins on the M50 on the back of a motorbike that's not what I expected.

Such a really simple mistake.

You've got to feel for the truck driver too....I don't know how you recover from these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yesto24

No having a go a you as I agree.

But I wish people would stop calling these accidents. Its a collision not an accident. Someone made a mistake and two people died. An accident would imply no one was at fault.

I was caught up going north. Stopped for about 2 hours 1km from the collision site.

While stopped about an hour about 6 bikes were brought south by 2 garda bikes. Down between the traffic on the hard shoulder and inter auxiliary lane. Wonder if they were part of the same group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

Yup, unfortunately, and this includes motorcyclists. I have lost count of the number of times I've been driving at the speed limit and a motorcyclist has either overtaken or undertaken me between lanes (with no indication) with traffic in the other lane. Multiple times daily on the M50. Can't see them coming, they zip by at speed limit +20 and gone before you can react.

Not implying anything in relation to this accident, but everyone needs to exercise some common sense and observe the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,657 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It was a very sad thing to happen alright. Condolances to their family, friends and all who knew them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

Horrible thing to happen, the two men were apparently on holidays from England. The M50 is a scary place to be on a motorcycle, with a massive truck sitting on your tail, I heave a sigh of relief once I exit off it. Very hard to avoid it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 TDM900

No truck should be sitting on anybody's tail unless it is parked.And no matter what the volume of traffic is,the safety gap should always be maintained by all users.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Irish motorists lose their heads on three-lane motorways like the m50 and drive like headless chickens weaving between lanes without so much as an indicator. Things seem to be fine on two-lane motorways, but when the extra lane is introduced (in general) the rulebook goes out the window I find.

Perhaps because it's only the m50 and a short stretch of the m7 are three-lane and the rest of the network is two-lane people can't compute.

Not saying this was at play here with this tragic accident, but it's just a general observation of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭TheRona

What a weird thing to be annoyed by. An accident is an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury. Unless you're implying that one of the riders intentionally did whatever caused this, it absolutely was an accident.

I used to commute daily on my bike on the M50, less so now with WFH. When the weather is bad and/or the traffic is super heavy, I just sit on the hard shoulder most of the way home. No way am I getting in between traffic that is constantly stopping and starting while people are checking their Tik Tok's or whatever while they drive.

RIP to the two men.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dbas

5 points on your licence and reduced traction on a gritty dirty surface.

Hardly worth it in my view. ( I have rode on hard shoulder before though)

Never again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

i used the m50 daily prior to covid. At this stage they should just ban motorcycles off it.

The drivers have no responsibility on the road. Even in slow moving traffic you would want 5 sets of mirrors and constantly watching just in case they decide they can come flying up some direction to miss the traffic. Pure lunacy

When no traffic I have no idea what speed limit they are sticking too because it certainly isn’t the same as everyone else. Again a case of wheeving in & out of cars/trucks doing 100kmph

To be honest im more surprised this doesn’t happen more often.

The issue as well is when a biker gets knocked off do other people in other lanes have time to actual stop before hitting them been thrown over the road? In most cases no, so even if they survive getting thrown off the bike the probability is they will get hit with another vehicle

Im not say car drivers are not at fault by the way. But the road is just too busy for people thinking they should be allowed to weave in and out between cars as they want

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Those reasons don't sound like 'accidents' to me more like negligence.

Advertisement