Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunchtime pints while working

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Common in New York among construction workers and others

actually among alot of americans

Drink working / driving was part of the culture

• Registered Users Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I did it when I was in a job I hated, the mistakes I made at work after were ridiculous lol I don't regret it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Common when I started office work in the 90s. Friday lunchtime - payday - we'd all head to the pub, maybe 3 pints and a sandwich (or maybe just a packet of peanuts). Back to work for 2-ish. Four o'clock, all back over to the pub!

I've had a personal treat thing the last 12 years or so - Friday lunchtime, I still try to get to the pub for a bite to eat (a decent lunch these days!) and a pint. Just the one, though. No stamina any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

As mentioned a couple of times it's common enough in Oz. I was in hospitality there and a lot of us would go for a couple. Had a lot of construction workers come in at lunchtime aswell. I left a few years ago but places were cracking down on it. One thing I never understood though was I heard of people being disciplined even sacked for 1 or 2 lunchtime beers yet people on complete benders till 4 or 5am then waddle in at 9 completely under the weather we're just laughed at. Those people would've had much more alcohol in their system but because they were passed out for a couple of hrs it was no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

The whole drinking culture in Ireland is gone in the small towns anyway no body out in the evening after work, never mind midday, wouldn't be fit for much myself anyway after a few pints, back in the old days when they were building the towns and the streets and the blocks of houses the first thing they built was the pub in the corner for the workers and the rest of the street got built after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Was common enough back in the days when drink driving was not a big deal .I worked in places where a couple of pints during lunch hour was common enough . Your career proberly wouldn't last long now if you had a pint during lunch regardless what job you were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Worked in a telecoms company in the early 00’s and it wasn’t unusual to have a pint or two with lunch. It’s frowned upon where I am now but I’ve still taken the lappy to the local a few times for a steak and pint 😝

• Registered Users Posts: 19,181 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

I think lunch time beers Is a good thing

where I work it happens every day with some workers. not frowned upon.

all that matters is you bring in your sales

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Worked for a company in Dublin in the mid 00's where Friday lunchtime pints were common. Even senior management partook. But it was an absolute no no Monday to Thursday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There was a episode of Time Team a number of years ago where they did an archeological dig on an industrial revolution era railway works in the north of England.

One of the team had to live and work as a railway labourer, a naviee, for a few days .

He was pissed by lunchtime the first day, the amount of beer that was part of the standard diet for that type of workers at the time was too much for him.

Advertisement