Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is this diet ok or crazy?

Options
  • 30-05-2022 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I know nothing substantive about nutrition. I am overweight tho and wanna lose weight and get fitter. With that end in mind I sort of gradually got into this routine. It's not based on anything, the food is just stuff that seems healthy, that I like, that I can find regularly at Aldi and that doesnt spoil too fast.

I am losing weight atm (between .05 and 1 kg per week) thats a bit fast, but I feel really good so far tbh.

I started this process maybe 2 months ago and have been on a diet like below for about one month.

I did something very similar before, in around 2016, and it worked fine, I have just gotten fat again in the intervening years.

I want to know...

---------------

Is this diet ok or crazy?

Do you have any advice?

Should I change anything?

What should I look out for in future? Eg. I know I will have to undiet when I reach my goal weight.

Thanks!!!

About me...

---------------

Male

Height 167cm

Weight 79kg

I am short but relatively wide and stout.

Diet (one typical day)...

---------------

Total energy per day: 1951 kcals

what food         eaten per day (grams)

breakfast   

blueberries            56

yogurt            175

dinner

chicken burgers      165

broccoli          167

spinach             57

cheese             80

dessert / snacks

dark chocolate      25

oranges             264

tea substitute I drink many times per day

barley cup         12

skim milk         408

fat             75

saturated fat      43

carbs             103

sugar             66

fibre             19

protein          93

salt             4.4

I will pretty much change what meat I eat for dinner each day, and also I might put butter or curry sauce on my broccoli instad of cheese, but this day I recorded is pretty representative of what ive been eating every day.

I drink 2 or 3 pints of water every day + c. 4 mugs of that barley cup stuff which is a non-caffinated tea substitute.

I just have 2 meals per day, breakfast and dinner, it saves time, and I need to buy less types of food so makes shopping faster + less likely for food to spoil.

Excercise per day...

---------------

Type         walking

Distance      3.931 km 

Ascent         108M

kcals burned   272

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Walking is useless. Get running. Walking is the easy way out. If you're not sweating you ain't losing weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

That's baloney to start, pretty much anything that involves the body working is burning calories, low impact is usually superior for weightloss at the start as the person exercising is likely to be less fit and therefore will find any sustained hard work difficult.

When you run you're burning roughly 12 calories per minute, when you walk it's near 8 - how long can you run for???

Sweating means you're hot, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Only you know whether that diet is sustainable for you, which is the most important thing. It's calories in v calories out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Walking is fantastic for weight loss. Yes, per minute (or even say 20 mins) you're burning less than running, but walking is much more sustainable, particularly if you're heavier, or not very fit, or starting out. Lots of factors - with running, you have a higher risk of injury, shin splints, maybe need running gear, probably only able to do it a few days a week, you have to motivate yourself to go out for a run and know you will need to shower after so that's a time commitment. It's really easy to start with the walking, and even take 15 mins after a meal. You might not consider walking a workout, but it's a great way to get in extra movement, which is generally the goal anyway.

I used to hate walking but made it a daily habit over covid and now find it fantastic for me-time, physical and mental energy, and really relaxing actually.

You say you're walking about 4km there - guessing that's about a 45 minute walk, keep it up and you will be able to walk faster and longer. At the end of the day, the best exercise is the one you can keep up and fit into your daily life!

As for your diet - the main thing I'd say is to cut the cups of tea way down, you've logged a whole meal's worth of calories in your milk. It's all about trying to get the most volume of food for your calories. Try not to drink your calories, you could get a meal of protein and fibre in there for that 400 calories worth of milk and you would feel much more fulfilled from your food.

Other than that I would try and up your protein intake, it's going to help a lot with you feeling full from your food and staying toned etc as you lose weight.

Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭squigglestrebor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Actually walking on an incline with your arms swinging is as good as jogging for weightloss.

I'm very confused about your diet. Most of the calories seem to be going on oranges and milk. Why and how?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

Yes and no. nutrients and certain daily activity upregulate metabolism as result more/less calories burn out doing the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭grizzly_beer

Hey yeah I actually miscalculated the milk, I put in kiljoules instead of kcals. so it was way off. Thanks for response!!

Advertisement