Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance renewal question

Options
  • 28-05-2022 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi. I was wondering if someone could help me with a question I have please. My car insurance is due for renewal soon and when I am filling in car insurance quotes online a question that keeps appearing is about being in an accident regardless of blame. 

I was in a car collision a few months ago and the other driver accepted responsibility so no claim ever occurred. As well my insurer provided me with my no claims bonus cert saying it's 55% No claims discount, as in a year of no claims since I got my full licence one year ago.

Therefore, can I say no to the question asking if I was in an accident regardless of blame? Everytime I say yes online it asks me for claim details but it never went to claim stage. Or do I explain the situation when ringing for quotes? 

My current insurer have given me a good renewal price but want to shop around for best option.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. 

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No. Tell the truth always. If it was no fault you won't be penalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

The issue of blame for the accident is totally irrelevant even though no claim was lodged against you.

The question requires a truthful answer. Answering "NO" constitutes misrepresentation. That could render the contract void or voidable at the option of the insurer. BTW it would also be an offence under the RTA 1961.

The duty of disclosure is quite strict.

There is really no legally proper alternative. You must disclose the accident or run the risk of creating a huge pile of insurance problems at a later date.

Advertisement