Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Scratching

Options
  • 27-05-2022 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭

I have a small Jack Russell, we have taken him to the vet and got him medicine for fleas and he was on a course for a few months but they didnt do much. We wash him and he is kept inside and is well looked after. I am thinking its his skin, would any one have any recommendations on some shampoo to use ?

Has anyone came across this before, its not fleas and he will scratch all over?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭walshtipp

One of my dogs suffers with skin issues during the summer. I get Malaseb shampoo from the vets and it does the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Its not just in the summer , I will give this a shot tho. Thanks . How often do you wash you dog with this? What do you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭walshtipp

Once a month max during the summer. It's not good to wash a dog too often. Rest of the year once every three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Maybe allergy? I would try vet again anyway to find out what's the reason for scratching.

Did he actually have fleas to begin with?

JRTs are generally pretty hardy but there's enough of them that some patterns with health issues are present and in my experience skin flare-ups are pretty common. In one dog it was purely down to diet, once they cut down on treats he was grand. Another would have a reaction to (likely) grass/pollen once or twice in the first half of each year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Have you investigated diet at all op? What's he fed on?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

What he eats, we get him some wet dog food and then some dry dog food and tried to keep him on that but he wont eat it. We still put out the wet dog food but a lot of the time goes on eaten. He does get some leftovers , chicken , and steak or beef . He is not hungry just very picky .

I will take him to the vet for Allergies . I would like to get this sorted for him and its not fair on him to be like this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was more asking specifically what brands of food he's on!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Might be allergies related to pollen or mites. We used Hibbie (sp?) scrub and gave our terrier half a Piriton allergy tablet most days in the summer and that kept it in control. With the paws we’d do a mini paw bath after every walk rather than washing her all over.

Advertisement