Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sailing wet-weather gear - recommendations?

Options
  • 27-05-2022 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭

Getting back into sailing (crewing) after a long hiatus and I'm in need of some new gear

I bought myself some Gill trousers for dry/light weather use, but probably need some wet-weather gear

The only options seem to be pretty expensive coastal/offshore wet weather gear, or cheap-as-chips decathlon gear

1. Anyone tried the decathlon gear? is it any good? How is the sizing as it doesn't seem to be stocked in Dublin?
    2. Any recommendations for something else mid-priced?

My issue is that use will be very occasional and its hard to justify spending loads, yet I want something that's not going to fall apart after a season..

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If you ever visit Kildare Village there’s a Musto outlet there which sometimes have some wet weather gear on the racks…

I got a BR1 jacket & BR2 bottoms about 4 years ago and I only paid about €120 whereas full retail price would have been closer to €450!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

I have been using the Musto BR1 jacket for a few years now and can confirm that it is top class! Try Sunset watersports in sligo (sunset.ie) They can sometimes have very good offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I second the Musto outlet in Kildare Village - I was there recently and they had loads of legs/jackets. I didn't check sizes as I have enough bloody gear as it is!

If you're only going to be using it occasionally, I'd say Decathlon might do you - my nephew had some stuff from there and it seemed to be ok. If you look after it (rinse salt water off regularly) it should last (in fact this goes for any gear, and moreso for the expensive stuff). Again, I was there recently and there were certainly legs, and I think jackets - but again I didn't check sizes. I think you can order online and collect with them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They don't seem to have the Snugs jackets much anymore though in Kildare Village, though luckily I picked up 3 of them over the course of about 2 years!

You see a lot of nice & unusual stuff though, things produced in limited runs as demo's etc... I got herself a lovely red rain jacket once and I'm sure it had a label saying it was limited or something!! and for peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

They have bottoms & jackets in Decathalon but it's hit and miss what you'll get. Their sailing section here is piss poor compared to stores in Europe but their stuffs ok for a season or 2. You pay for what you get. One thing I've noticed trying to get gear in the last few weeks is when you see the size you want in the brand you want they don't have the colour you want in the size you want or they just don't have the size you want at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Thanks all, I'm going to be in Portugal in July so may hold out until then to try Decathlon. Was not aware of Musto in Kildare Village so will keep an eye on their online catalogue. Not much in sunset at the moment but will monitor them too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Musto in KV is a matter of calling in and seeing what they have on the day.

I've got some fantastic bargains there, but it's a bit of a lottery!

Advertisement