Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 DCM Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Welcome to the thread 68 lost souls!

Sorry to hear DCM 2019 didn't go to plan, hopefully this time around if you train consistently & sensibly you will get the result you want. I hope your half Ironman went well.

You have a decent fitness base & it's good to see you challenging yourself to improve your running, good choice with the boards plan. While it is good to have a target time it's nothing we need to focus on now. Training to your current fitness is the most important thing right now. For now I think you would be best to make a priority of slow & long runs, your time over longer distances can be improved this way.

Very best of luck in your journey, hopefully you get the redemption you are looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MZ22

Hi all!

1st timer grabbed one of the late release tickets last week. Running since my teens, joined a club 10 years ago, love it so much. Always ticking over 2-4 times a week, 15-25k, depending on life!

lots of little races done, 3 HMs enjoyed the first, virtual 2nd was tough, was overdressed for the 3rd and the heat ruined me. I'm not posting my times, very slow!

Terrible chronic joint pain so I'd say painkiller addiction could be a real issue after DCM!! 😆Gonna give it a go anyway. Its a bucket list thing-last time I attempted training for a full my hips were grinding after 16 miles even with the omegas, revive joint complex, etc...😬.... so I'll just see how it goes.

Doing HHN1, but with lots of adjustments due to joint pain; any advice would be so welcomed! like instead of 3x 4.8km this week I'm doing 2x 7.5, 1 x 11.5km, 1 spinning and 1 strength. So basically 3 days running. Is that enough?

Shopping for new runners, swapping between ultraboost and infinity run so looking for more bounce and cushion, the choices are headmelting tho.

So glad I found this group 🙏

Welcome onboard MZ22! Delighted to see you got an entry to DCM & you're going to do it as part of your bucket list!(like myself but then I got hooked😉)

You are running a while now & I'm sure being in a club is great for motivation & consistency.

My 1st piece of advice would be to get the OK from your physio to do the plan, I would also recommend regular visits during the plan given the pain you have described.

I wouldn't recommend replacing 3 short runs with 2 longer ones if you are injury prone especially as the mileage increases as the plan goes on. I’d advise you to just do the 2x3 miles (2x5k) and the 7 miler.

Haha yes the runners are a separate thread altogether, the choices out there are amazing! You will be broke in no time🤣

Very best of luck in your journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

So I've decided to follow the hal higdon training schedule. 4 days a week is more manageable. I am on week 2 now so all going okay so far. My husband is going to come on some of the long runs with me so will help with pacing hopefully.

Just to ask im away for a time at the beginning of August so will have to fit in 7 runs. I plan on doing the Tuesday run on Monday before I go and take Tuesday as a rest day but does anyone have any tips for me. As it will be anywhere from 25 degrees and up im thinking I'll have to get up at 630 and head out before breakfast. I know the area I'm going to so should be able to manage the distances but just wondering if anyone has any tips for me? Although just looking at the plan I'll be home to do the 19.3 run so that's not too bad. The other distances are not too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Hi Sammy

Good stuff and great to have the support and companionship on some long runs.

Yeh , Ill be doing something similar myself soon on hols and will likely get out about 6.30am ahead of the hardcore heat. You will simply need to play it by ear and see how hot it is and how you feel. I suggest go by effort on what feels like easy as opposed to rigidly sticking to paces which in the heat maybe a bit harder on the body.- so basically slow it up a little. Its all about getting the runs ticked off anyway as opposed to paces. I'd also suggest bringing water with you. If you are doing and up and back, you could stash the bottle somewhere on route, or carry a 2 euro with you to nip into a shop etc. Drink plenty of water after too.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much. I must look into setting up Google pay on my watch and that would save carrying money! The longest distance I have to do is 11.1k so that won't be too bad! Hopefully!!

Yea it is nice that he'll be with me for the first few anyway! Will see if he can keep it up! I'm just back from my run this morning and it's very warm out! That's in cloudy, windy weather so will definitely need to get out earlier. Will definitely go by how I'm feeling rather than worrying about pacing. I'm trying to work on my pacing as it is (slow it down) so it can only help I'm hoping.

Side note hope your hols go well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Hi @68 lost souls

I converted the 2019 plan to KM if it helps? May be slightly different to 2022. I will try to follow what @Laineyfrecks puts up each week but it's handy to have the metric too. Good luck!

(Hopefully this uploaded ^^^ - would recommend a quick cross-reference each week in case I made mistakes)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Completely agree with Laineyfrecks there. It doesn't really sound like a marathon is a good idea but that is your decision to make.

Really agree that converting three shorter runs over three days to two longer ones over two days is asking for trouble, especially with your issues.

Thought - can you convert that spin day a run day and get four days running in? Better idea than adjusting run lengths and also far better for developing run-specific endurance.

Hi Sammy2012. Great to hear you have support & company for some of your runs, this makes a huge difference.

I would agree with everything Lambay Island said. I am only recently back from my holidays & it was really hot, I got out early each morning before anyone else was up, it actually set me up for the whole day & I loved it! As well as hydrating on the run I'd make sure to keep hydrated each day especially with being in constant heat. I always had a freezing cold bottle of water with an electrolyte tablet waiting for me in the fridge after each run, a great way to replace the salts lost through sweating. Listen to your body, slow the paces down accordingly, as Lambay said it's not about pace now it's about getting the runs done!

Most importantly have a great holiday😎🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ccull123

Hi all,

under a bit of time pressure this weekend and was going to do my LSR tomorrow. Is this ok to do?

• Advertisement

I see no issue to swap it this week as LSR's are not too long yet. Friday is a rest or cross day this week on both plans so ensure you take it easy then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Thanks for that Asiaga. I’ve done some Conversions myself since and will confirm my maths against yours.

Ive also been loading it all into training peaks as a plan to build the workouts there and track things a bit better/work out the details

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭py

Few quick notes from a 2019 novice graduate:

Consistency and discipline are the keys to success in running, particularly at marathon distance.

Control what you can, adapt to what you can't control. Cold/wet weather? Wear a snood/jacket. Hot weather? Wear a light vest and bring extra water with you.

There's no substitute for time on your feet. Back to back to back runs are on both plans for a reason. Missed runs are going to happen due to family/work etc but try your best to not miss a long run. They're the most important run each week.

You've got your DCM entry, do it justice. Fully commit to the program you've chosen. Half arsing the training is going to lead to disappointment on race day.

Please please please listen to the mentors. There's a very good reason they have been trusted with this task of guiding you through this program.

Best of luck to all. Looking forward to seeing the progress over the coming months.

Week 2 of Hal Higdon completed. Feeling good so far. Looking forward to my 2 days off though.

I need to invest in new runners and a new smart watch. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm leaning towards a Garmin Forerunner 245 Music version with the watch. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Active but the battery won't last any longer than 17k when I play music through it. I don't want to carry anything extra so that's why I want a watch you can download music to.

Runners are a very personal decision, you need to try to get along to a good running shop (not the likes of Lifestyle or JD Sports) and talk to the staff and try on as many pairs as you can. Generally the one that feels the most comfortable to you (within your budget) is the best choice. Can't help with the watch question - I never listen to music anymore while running. Don't get too dependent on music as you headphones are not permitted during DCM. But the Garmin 245 series are excellent watches and will do the job for you alright. Good luck with the shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Are you allowed aftershokz open ear type headphones do you know @Murph_D ?

These are what I use for running. I find them great.

Thank you! I'll make my way to a running shop in Enniscorthy! I have ascics and will probably stick with with but just not sure of the type yet.

Will also keep an eye on the sales now and see if I can pick up a watch.

If you like asics you should like these. I think there's a newer version out now but if you can pick up a pair of these around the 100 mark you won't regret it. I'm up at 900km in them and barely a scuff too.

They seem to be on sale at the moment. Down to 96! Would you recommend buying them? (Womens version)

• Advertisement

As murphd said, runners are a very unique thing. But if your going to a shop, I'd certainly recommend trying them on and see how how they feel then if you like them get them where they are cheaper! I find them snug yet there's also room in them if that makes sense. I can't speak for the women's version but in general I think asics tend to be unisex. I used to have novablast which felt similar but these are more durable in similar price range

Actually on checking the rules and regulations, headphones are no longer banned. However I'd recommend you run without them to soak up the atmosphere and also to be able to hear announcements, emergency vehicles etc.

I run with aftershokz and find them great for having music going but also being able to hear what's going on around you. Very handy for road running especially these days.

Well done on completing week 2 & glad to hear you are feeling good. As for the watch, I have the Garmin forerunner 245 music & I love it. I just download all my playlists & podcasts into it, stick my headphones in & off I go! I love my music for training but love soaking up the atmosphere in a race so don't bother with the headphones 😊

That’s week 2 done. Went fairly well I thought. I managed to slow down the easy and LSR runs a bit.

Monday 5km easy 6:03 per km

Tuesday 5km easy 5:59 per km

Wednesday 9km - 2km WU 5km bit faster than PMP 2km easy

Friday 5km easy

Sunday 17km LSR 6:14 per km

The PMP run didn’t really go to plan. So I’ve decided on around 5:39 per km as my pace. (Willing to reassess this later if needed) After the 2km warm up I literally turned a corner and into a fairly strong head wind for about a mile. As a result I worked a bit harder than needed. I didn’t want my first km at PMP to be slower than the warm up. Also I don't have smart watch for that instant pace feedback. Anyway it turned out that my average pace for the whole run was 5:39 per km. So some work needed in the coming weeks to fine tune that a bit.

LSR this morning felt good and made a bit of progress in slowing it down. 6:14 per km and it was fairly consistent throughout- more so than last week.

So on to week 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Week 1 and mostly week 2 done. I'm a bit out of sync with being on holidays..

Week 1 40k 3hours 40 mins running at very slow paces due to the heat, long run included.

Week 2, 48k, 5.15 hours running including 6k at PMP. Went a bit hot for the PMP @4.40 /km. Will pair that back.

Long run pushed to Monday or Tuesday this week just with hols and trying to work around activities. Will get in the PMP session later in the week before travelling home.

REVIEW:

It looks like most of you are settling into the routine and rhythm of your respective plans. Those of you following the Boards plan had a crack at your first pace run which I hope went well.

Let us know how you got on. I’ll repeat the homework from last week and ask you to answer the following questions in relation to week two:

- Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?

For week 3, we have the first of the race series - the Fingal 10k:

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday

HHN1|rest|3m easy|4m easy|4m easy|rest|rest|Fingal 10k

Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|3m easy|1m w/u, 4m PMP, 1m c/d|3m recovery|rest|3m easy|Fingal 10k

Best of luck to anyone racing the 10k this weekend. As per the plan, you can give it socks! I don't have any knowledge of the course route myself, but I'm sure someone will drop by with some detail on what to expect. If you're racing somewhere else, please let us know too. For those doing the Boards plan I would suggest you take the Monday after the race as a rest day as the mileage will be increasing that week.  

For those not racing, here is your plan for the week ahead:

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday

HHN1|rest|3m easy|4m easy|4m easy|rest|7m LSR|Cross

Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|3m easy|1m w/u, 4m PMP, 1m c/d|3m recovery|rest|10m LSR|3m rec

As always, if you miss a run let it go and don't go chasing the lost miles.

For the boards crew it's a return to planned marathon pace miles for the midweek session. PMP is not set in stone at this stage, so keep it realistic to where you are now, not some potential goal pace.

Well done to all for the progress made so far, and good luck for the week ahead!😊

Well done on another good week done! It's great to see you have slowed the paces down for your easy runs but I still do think there's room to slow it down a bit more. Can I ask how you got your PMP? If you struggled with it then I would review it. It is very normal for efforts to feel hard when winds are involved, many times I have myself adjusted my paces when running into the wind but knowing the effort was about right. Don't feel disheartened by this at all.

Good to hear your long run felt good & consistent but again I think it could be slowed down a bit more. Are you racing next week? Very best of luck with week 3☺️

Well done on your progress so far. Always good to adjust paces according to the conditions you are running in. Good you recognize that you went too fast with your pmp, what pace have you worked it out at? Enjoy the rest of your holiday😊

• Advertisement

The PMP I chose isn't from a calculator - more my dream PMP tbh. As said, I do expect this to change this but going to see how things pan out around the 5:39 min/km mark for now. The PMP run itself felt good. I just put more effort in than was required. I didn't find it really hard, just that I missed the PMP by quite a bit. I've attached my splits from the run. I actually enjoyed the warm up and cool down aspects of the run too. Might seem silly but I've never really consciously did this before.

I am doing the Fingal 10K this week. Looking forward to it. The course looks the same as 2017. It's quite flat and decent course. There are a couple of bottlenecks though as you come off the dual carriageway and on to the back roads. Also a bit of a climb to the finish. Otherwise fairly flat from memory.

Advertisement