Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't find the puncture hole.

Options
  • 26-05-2022 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭

So I slowly ran the tube through the kitchen sink 5 times, and couldn't see any air bubbles.

Tried holding the valve under for about 30 seconds too, and nothing.

It's a second-hand bike. I know this because of the dirt on the tube (not my bike, just doing a favour), but there are no patches on the tube, so that's obviously new.

Anyone know what the craic is here.

The valve is one of the really skinny ones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

How much pressure did you have in the tube when you held it under?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭cletus

Buy a new tube for a fiver...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Buy a new tube, but if you can’t see bubbles you are either not squeezing it. Or it the nozzle , put it under abs the move

This maybe? I haven't had this in 20 odd years though and it was my Dad's bike back then when it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭JMcL

How quickly is it going down? I've always found even the slowest punctures can be found by holding the tube under water - including air leaking from the valve. I usually use a basin and make sure it's in good light. For very slow punctures it might take a couple of rounds - slide your hand along the tube while underwater to clear away any air bubbles sticking to it, then hold each section under for a few seconds. Also try inflating it a bit more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yeah, make sure to stick the valve under the water too, as said. You could try inflating the tube a bit more, as also said, as some small punctures remain closed at low pressure.

Advertisement