Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office workers asked to paint office.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

tis is me arse, this is typical behavior from employers that simply have no respect for their employees, if possible, id be planning on leaving, as this is probably only the beginning of a workplace of sh1te!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,055 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

im generally not overly concerned about it, i use sunscreen a lot, so hopefully that prevents this predicament!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Tbh I would have just given them a digout with the painting and be glad of the day off work.

i probably would have to, i actually enjoy such work, but i can understand peoples grievances, it depends how this was approached, if the employers explained the situation fully, i.e. painters simply couldnt be found, and some extra benefits would be given to participants, rock on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Yeah - a day spent painting and head for dinner and pints at 4pm would have went a long way!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,301 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I had covid recently and couldn't goto the office. I worked from home for the week.

I wish those with colds would do the same thing and stop spreading them around

I worked in small to medium sized buildings (with small staff number) open to the public where physical as well as cerebral & sometimes creative type work was involved. If a flat-pack bit of furniture arrived, it was up to whoever felt best equipped to put it together would do it. If the computer system went wrong, whoever was “techy” would be asked to look at fixing it. If an idea for a public event arose, whoever was adept was asked would they manage aspects of that. A manager once came up with the idea for an extensive mural, and got sponsorship from a paint factory. Being artistic, I was asked would I be willing to undertake that, and if any staff wanted to partake under my supervision that they could. It was one of the most satisfactory things I have ever done in my work-place, and from time to time other staff would contribute. Of course this was a creative venture rather than updating the paint on the walls, but I think I would still enjoy a break from routine by plain ordinary redecorating the walls in emulsion.

However I understand this should be purely voluntary. When doing the mural my more tedious core work still had to be done. I’m wondering, if almost nobody in that small office is doing anything other than painting the interior, how is customer service being carried out? Or is the company announcing a temporary office closure with a hold on services being provided? I know it’s very difficult to get tradespeople in these times, but prioritising decorating over core company business seems very odd. If it were something a bit more essential, like stock-taking, revision of systems etc, rearranging furniture to suit installation of new equipment etc I could understand. But getting nice neat walls whist there’s nobody/few to respond to emails/phone calls, visiting customers etc, seems like a business that has strange priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Your work is still there. Not a hope I'd paint my employers office. Plus team building stuff. Rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,831 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Take it from somebody who experienced taking on extra crap during the recession with the promise of ‘ be back to normal when it gets busier ‘

it will start off with painting then maybe they will want to save a few bob on …stuff like you being cleaners.. a rota is done up for running around with a hoover, wiping desks, emptying bins or cleaning the canteen too..while still expecting to do your own work ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

I don't get this, to me it's pretty straight forward but going by the OP it leads to people taking the piss which has a knock on effect on everyone else. My own manager worked while having COVID but wouldn't hear of anyone else doing the same. Is it any wonder the place is gone to shite when you hear of this bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,303 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You must have never painted you own house so, you sound very soft.

But back on topic its up to the employer to get this done not the workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Jesus, I think you are missing the point. It's about making it as awkward as possible for the employer to think he can take a cheap shortcut like this. Saying no without saying no.

Advertisement