Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do GUI App submitted scores count less for handicap?

Options
  • 23-05-2022 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Played nine holes today with a friend and we both submitted scores in the GUI app. My scoring difference is much higher than I would expect for my round.

Are these treated differently to competition rounds for handicap terms?

Comments

No they are the same. The slope rating and course rating will be different for the 9 holes than over 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

No matter how well you play for 9, you're given your handicap +1 (maybe 2) for the other 9 for score differential purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

Is this why I’m seeing lower players come out with a lower differential when they play 9 and shoot the same number?

I thought it was my score over 9 doubled for the back 9.

That answers that so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Exactly, if you shoot the same as someone with a lower handicap than you, they'll have a lower score differential.

Makes sense as technically you're more likely to shoot closer it your handicap on the next 9. Can be frustrating when you've played really well and feel you would have continued that form for another 9, but as we all know we probably wouldn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Just as The Big Easy said, when you play a 9 hole round of golf for handicap purposes, the software has to convert that into an 18 hole round of golf and rather than just mirror the back 9 with the same score as you had on the front 9, it takes the same 9 holes as you just played, and gives you nett pars on every hole, except the first hole, where it gives you a nett bogey.

The reason it does this is because it assumes that people are going to do better over 9 holes, than they would over 18 holes. so whatever score you have for the front 9, it gives you a nett 17 stableford points for your 2nd 9 holes.

If you're like me and you like formulas here's how you work out the score differential for 9 holes ..... :D

9 hole score differential Conversion = (113 / 9 hole slope rating) * [( 9 hole adjusted gross + 9 hole par + 9 hole handicap + 1 ) - (9 hole course rating * 2) - (2 * 0.5 * PCC)]

And this is how it works out for a 9 hole round I had last year

Course :: Athlone

Tees :: Blue F9

Rating :: 36.9

Par :: 36

Slope ::126

Adj. Gross :: 41

PCC :: 0

Score Differential 8.3

WHS Index :: 6.9

Course handicap :: 5

Score Diff = (113/126) * [(41 + 36 + 5 + 1) - (36.9 * 2) - (2 * 0.5 * 0)]

SD = (0.8968) * [83 - 73.8 - 0]

SD = 0.8968 * 9.2

SD = 8.2506 (rounded up, 8.3)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

Great info thank you. More of a reason to try and get out for 18 I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Personally i don't think scores for 9 holes should be allowed to be submitted as "counting rounds".

The whole challenge of golf is being able to sustain good play for 18 holes.

Anyone can shoot their lights out for 9 holes. Perfect example of this was myself about 4 weeks ago. +9 gross on front nine but shot -3 gross on back nine. No way in a million years could i have shot -3 gross for 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

That's why, as was excellently explained by Rikand, they create an 18 hole score differential by giving you +1 for your handicap on the second 9 that you didn't play.

If i'm going really well after 9 holes i'd probably bite your hand off for 17 points on the back 9.

Holding onto a score coming down the stretch is very difficult and when you do actually manage it it's a great feeling walking off 18. That can't be replicated by just being gifted 17 points.

I agree holding onto a score can't be replicated but the example you gave in your first post is wrong, unless you're a plus handicap player.

For me, if I've had a good first 9 holes then I'd usually have at least 16 points for the back 9.

• Advertisement

On your second paragraph, nothing in golf is guaranteed.

I could be playing my lights out for 9 holes. Doesn't mean i'll even get double figure points on the back 9 tho.

For me...for handicap it should be based on 18 holes. No rounds under 18 holes should be taken into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I agree completely on this

The ‘assumption’ of +1 on handicap for your 2nd 9 is a bit stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Does it work differently in the U.S?

I think I remember it being explained on a podcast that 9 holes on it's own doesn't count towards handicap. If you play 9, it goes on your record but only counts when it gets paired up with another 9 you've played. Only then, when it totals 18 holes, does it get applied to your handicap.

I may have misunderstood the explanation but that seems like a fairer way to do things. Not perfect, but a bit better than assuming you'll shoot +1 handicap on your back 9.

I don't know what they do in the US but if that's how it's done then it is a worse way of doing it. You could be combining two excellent 9s in that case, which rarely happens.

Well then it gets back to what I'm assuming is the original reason they brought in 9 hole counting - a lot of people don't have the time to play 18 regularly so can't maintain an accurate handicap

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Or you could be combining 2 shockers. Or 2 mediocre ones. I'm guessing it would balance out over time.

Maybe. I'm also guessing if you got your average 9 hole score it would probably be close to 17 points / +1 Nett

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

It depends on the course. Not all courses have balanced front and back 9s. My home course back 9 is probably 2-3 easier than the front 9. So I if I shot 18 front, I'd be expecting to easily achieve 20 back 9.

Not everyone has the time to play 18 holes of golf. Golf is becoming more inclusive and allowing 9 hole counting rounds, allows people with less free time to keep a handicap.

It works both ways of course. If you play 9 holes and shoot 9 stableford points for those 9 holes, you'll still get 17 points for the back 9 because again, its likely you wouldnt play that shite again on the 2nd 9 :D

Well, thats where slope and course ratings come into play. In athlone the back 9 is usually a stroke easier than the front 9 on course rating for all our tees. I'd imagine its the same at your club ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Blue stakes Back 9 par 37 slope is actually 138 vs 130 for the front 9 par 36.

That seems odd?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

i think thats the wrong way really, because it is just making a bad assumption that someone won't be that crap for another 9. but speaking from experience, most of the time, people who shoot 9 points for the front 9, will nearly never get 17 or more on the back 9 and will more likely be doing pretty well to break 14 on the back, hell they might only shoot 8 if they are lucky

that kind of calculation worked fine under CONGU, because if it was a bad round you would get .1 back regardless of how bad it was. now each score is looked at and if you are giving a level back 9 score, then the score differential is not going to be as high as it really should be.

maybe the score differential for 9 should be calculated and doubled instead?

Advertisement