Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is the recession coming?

Options
  • 22-05-2022 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

A recession is always coming eventually of course, but when is the next one going to hit? My pessimistic hunch is the winter of 2022. This will be when the fuel prices will really start to bite and could be the start of a downward trajectory.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It’s just turning the corner down the end of your road now. He’ll be with you in 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

No recession the country are booming. Sure the lads on the dole are earning 14k tax free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Should be a soft landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

We seem to be sailing awfully close to the wind with a while now, production, fuel, labour prices are rocketing, how long before food starts to rise significantly as diesel really starts to impact food production and haulage costs, construction costs gone through the roof, labour shortages and put all that on top of the cost of covid and our cead mile failte to all the new refugees you'd have to wonder how we won't see a recession shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭drserious4

The two-year shutdown of the economy and the unbelievable spending levels of the government were bound to lead to a recession, I am just surprised it has taken this long.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It ain't happening any time soon. A recession begins after 2 successive quarters of negative economic growth. Prices are rising, inflation is high etc but we are still in growth.

They won't of course, and I personally won't be voting for them, but its hard to blame any disaffected young person with no prospect of owning a home giving them a go after a century of FF, FG and LAB. They will be more of the same though, with a few extra handouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

Don’t hold your breath, there’s a helluva lot different than what crashed the world economies last time. I don’t see a massive recession coming, regardless of price rises, people are determined to enjoy life after the pandemic lockdowns so I don’t see the knee jerk reaction to spending etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I expect a bigger problem will be "brain drain" i know a good few people with good jobs not happy here...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The booms are getting bustier.

The busts are getting boomier.

Don't upset the apple tart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Sure by 2030 you'll own nothing and still be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Jizique

That’s the problem; people will come back from the holidays and the Garth Brooks madness in Sept/Oct and finally realize just what is happening to prices for winter, also foodstuff will be a lot more expensive, and interest rates will be higher, hitting everyone on a tracker - housing market will be wobbling and even our govt will not be able to save it.

making matters worse, govt borrowing expenses will be higher so no more free money to throw around

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Ah, the good old days

• Registered Users Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Hilarious 🙄 That pointless retort lost any impact years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

People don’t leave good jobs. I suspect you mean good paying jobs which people are leaving in their droves due to being totally overworked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

The jobs are good but they are paying big rent + car and little prospects of getting a place to call home... I did not hear big complaints of the work just no prospect long term... The other side they go abroad for less salary so kinda trapped...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭touts

Inflation in double digits (because central bankers have been printing massive amounts of money for the last few year)

Interest rates touching double digits (because central bankers don't know any other way to fight inflation)

Energy crisis looming with gas and oil shortages due to Russia invading Ukraine and the green agenda to shut down fossil fuels being 15 years ahead of technology to replace fossil fuels. They aren't wrong (see the next point) but the renewable tech is still not ready.

Food crisis next autumn/winter due to Russia invading Ukraine and really bad harvests due to climate change and most importantly a lack of fertilizer. We only sustained 7 billion people thanks to fertilizer. That's a huge problem.

Supply chains are screwed beyond recognition thanks to Brexit (which hasn't really hit yet) Trump Trade Tariffs (which are still being recovered from) and China locking down its major ports and factories due to Covid.

People in debt for Cryptocurrencies that are turning out to have less value than tulip bulbs.

Housing and rental market is totally disfunctional because in our infinite wisdom we scrapped the construction industry for a decade on the populist belief that all those ghost estates and apartment blocks will never sell. Well guess what. They sold. And now people can't afford to buy or rent the few properties that are available.

We are going to have a populist left wing government in two years who cannot possibly fulfill anything close to their promises without nationalising and seizing private assets.

Basically right now I'd take a recession because a great depression is increasingly likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

a recession is always coming but if someone predicts when , its pure dumb luck , everyone believed we would have a recession two years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

When interest rates go up and inflation rises it usually results in a recession , company's hold back on investments, consumers stop buying luxury products, yes brexit is causing supply chain problems in the UK as company's have to deal with new EU regulations and import taxs. In the 70s it was war in the middle east, now its war in the Ukraine. Now due to sanctions company's can't buy products from russia. The tech boom maybe over, tech stocks are falling. At least America can print dollars, other country's don't have that choice. The general USA stock market boom is over but many company's in the USA are finding it hard to recruit workers

The crypto market was fuelled by tech bros, also 1naive investors, well I suppose I should buy digital coins because there's so much hype about it. I read a long article about digital currencys, it said most of the money in crypto is money invested by criminals, drug dealers, oligarchs, hackers who need to get paid, the only way to pay a Russian hackers is using bitcoin, digital currency, buying goods with crypto is extremely ineffecient, just use PayPal or a credit cards

I don't know if we will have a recession like the 70s or the 80s. The price of energy oil gas is rising in every country. People now have the option of working from home instead of emigrating. I think no politican is talking about this, but I think climate change is happening right now, California , states in the USA are facing drought, water shortages. This is going to increase the cost of food production.

The global economy gives in cycles boom bust and recession usually caused by energy crisis inflation and a rise in interest rates . Third world country's are facing a crisis as they rely on acess to a supply of cheap food like wheat grain bread and other basic items

Shortage of fertilisers is likely to increase the cost of basic items like bread cereals

Right now North Korea is facing a crisis as covid spreads thru the population. It has only basic health services when compared with Western country's it has refused to accept vaccines from the UN or South Korea

As long as we have people who choose to not the work there will be council houses to be built which will keep the construction industry rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I remember having a job interview with one of the biggest building suppliers in the country in 2008. I asked what their plans were for the coming recession.

He was visibly upset that I would even suggest such a thing. 12 months later they were posting their losses and closing down branches.

I didn't get the job which was probably just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Irelands growth is going to be 4.8% this year so unlikely there will be a technical recession until at least later in 2023. But what there will be is a worsening of the cost of living crisis.

Prices will keep on increasing- fueled by supply chain issues, Brexit, labor shortages and oil/gas/grain shortages. Interest rates increases for the first time in a long time will surprise and hurt people too.

Income levels will not keep up and more people will fall in to to poverty or have to cut back and start making hard choices. There will be pressure on the government to spend cash from the money tree, like they did during covid, but servicing the national debt in an environment of increasing yields will be harder and harder.

So tough times ahead regardless of whether or not it's classified as a recession or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

No-one can predict what fuel prices will be in 2 weeks, let alone next winter.

There's no credit bubble, we're near full employment, tax receipts are very strong, exports are very strong. Discretionary consumer spending is slowing, but that alone will not cause a recession.

There most likely will be a slowdown in growth, but wages will grow and the purchasing power will return to an equilibrium. In a way, purchasing power got ahead of itself with increased incomes but no increase in prices and now inflation is catching up after years of stagnation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭timmyntc

No. That might be the case if inflation was driven solely through wages, but it isnt. Energy costs, raw materials costs, fertiliser costs - all out of our control, and all rising significantly. Wage increases cannot compensate for the increases in prices brought on by these factors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Horn_of_Africa

Remember all those plonkers that said the government should borrow more because interest rates were so low, "sure it's free money" they said.

It's seemed to be beyond their comprehension that you still have to pay the money back and that interest rates will eventually rise making it much more difficult to refinance the debt.

Advertisement