Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you hung a Ukrainian flag?

Options
  • 22-05-2022 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭

I haven't seen too many outside houses here in Ireland. just outside hotels and places like that.

Saw one with the Irish flag outside a house in the middle of nowhere yesterday, thought it was a nice gesture as there are a lot of Ukrainians living where I live. must buy one and put it up. better than having a flag on your facebook profile anyway where no one can see it only your Irish friends.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Don't be acting the bollix with "flegs" , you know we're not far from marching season.

Plant a few sunflower seeds instead , they're a symbol of resistance and hardiness.

"On Feb. 24, sunflowers entered the world's consciousness thanks to a video clip first posted by Ukraine World. In the brief clip, a Ukrainian woman is seen challenging a heavily armed Russian soldier, insisting he pocket a handful of sunflower seeds so that they'll grow when he's killed on Ukrainian terrain. "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Pointless virtue signalling.

Find out if there are refugees living near you. Go down there. Invite them up to your place for a cup of tea and a slice of cake or take them for a drive.

And do you know what’s good too? Don’t bother telling anyone that you did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I do not agree with the flag thing... i often notice people who have lived in a different County from their birth in Ireland and the home County is playing the native flag is up... i think its silly but i am expecting a toasting from the gaa...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

No, couldn't give a sh!te

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Aren't ya great having a Ukranian flag on your FB and outside your house. Virtue signalling is all that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Handy business for the flag makers.

I suppose they donate all proceeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

No..Embarrassing virtue signalling from some people I'd wager wouldn't have been able to pick out Ukraine on a map.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

I've got a nice Russian one I might hang out. Just for a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My Clare flag has got knocked 90 degrees off kilter in the wind, does that count?

OP, you should realise from the above comments that "virtue signalling", i.e. any kind of harmless activity or comment that could possibly be construed as a public endorsement for any cause, is the number 1 cardinal sin here on Boards. In fact, the only virtue that one is allowed to signal is how much one is against virtue signalling, and that (ironically) should be done loudly, frequently and unashamedly at the slightest of appropriate opportunities.

Don't forget the Union Jack while you're at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No,

if I want to look out a window I’d like it not to be blocked by a flag. A flag will decrease the natural light coming into my home while painting the inside of the place in a curious blue and yellow hue, no thanks…Also I don’t own a flag pole. I don’t own a Ukrainian flag… neither situation is imminently going to change..

I see one of the Garda stations has had its Ukrainian flag stolen and pole damaged from outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

would in my bollix be hanging any flags outside my house

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dil87

No, does absolutely nothing, same as having it on any social media or anywhere. Hanging a flag does nothing but make you feel better about yourself for doing so, no offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Flags and nationalism have created this mess.

Plant a tree if you want to do something positive for the planet

I'd love to pose as a Ukrainian, go around knock on any doors that have flags and say I'm stuck for a place to stay for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I don't have a facebook account or a flag up.........yet.

I see nothing wrong with hanging a flag, it may make the refugees feel welcomed, no harm in that.

I have donated boxes of food and other supplies to Ukraine by the way and didnt tell anyone about it, well apart from now and no one knows me on boards. some of you guys would want to cheer up a bit, trying to tear anyone down who posts threads like this, you would think I asked about hanging flags with a huge Z on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

No but I gave them a vote in the Eurovision. Just playing my part for Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

The same people hanging Ukraine flags are still going around wearing masks outside. Brainwashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Comparisons with Niall Quinn and mother Teresa

Im definitely putting one up now, a big one, just to piss off the sad acts on here who it would annoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,958 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I live quite rural and there's a few gobshytes have them up, Virtue signalling nonsense. Local shop was selling them for "Charity" in support of Ukraine, I declined asking if they'd let me know when Syrian, Afghan and Yemen flags arrive in.

The Hypocrisy is vomit enducing.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

You're putting a flag up to piss off strangers on the internet and calling them sad acts 🙊

LOL such pathetic responses on here. The Ukrainians are here because their Country is being blown to bits, they have shown themselves to be unbelievably brave and patriotic in standing up to fight against a much stronger invader. Any I have met here are lovely people, most are working away while their husbands and siblings are fighting in Ukraine. I am just putting one up to show support to them, where im putting one up you wouldnt even know if its me or my neighbour who put it up.

There might be similar cynics driving around in the real world who might pass my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Nope. Its just attention seeking from strangers and a pathetic attempt to validate yourself as a "good" person to anyone who may see it. Donate money or belongings or take in a family if you are able to, and say nothing about it on social media.

Flag waving is right up there with the nauseating "be kind" Caroline Flack crap a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dil87

Not hanging a flag doesn't mean people aren't supportive of Ukraine and they're struggle right now. Hanging your dirty laundry will have the same impact is what people are saying. Hang however many flags as you'd like, you don't need the internets approval 👍

im not even on social media. boards and thats it.

I might put it up somewhere away from my house maybe, I couldnt care less about getting attention from strangers or anyone else to be totally honest with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I've hung around with a few Ukrainians. Will that do?

• Advertisement

Say Ireland was invaded and you had to move to another country as a refugee, would you not like seeing an Irish flag flying in your new country?

Advertisement