Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotpress heat from a Small Solar PV?

Options
  • 21-05-2022 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Is there a DIY approach to provide a small space heat solution from a PV panel during summer?

We have a Geothermal heatpump with UF heating manifold in the hotpress - works during winter. DHW during summer by an old solar glycol system, supplemented with night rate immersion. Each yr when UFH is turned off mrs Aka has the same complaint of a 'coldpress' for airing clothes. I thought there might be an off-the-shelf PV panel soln. with a small space heater that would work?

Just beginning to consider a full domestic pv solution, and the info here and contributions are excellent - hoping this might be a handy DIY intro to the tech and sort the annual april/may coldpress prob! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Gerry

dhw - direct? you don't have a hot water tank? there will usually be heat escaping from the tank and hot water pipework, even with insulation.

I guess you could run a small electric heater using some automation so that its only run when the pv is producing excess.

alternatively what about plumbing a small rad to your solar glycol system?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭akasudonim

Dhw.. domestic hot water, sorry i could have been clearer. Have a 300l tank but not in the hotpress, that would have been handier The winter heat is from the underfloor manifold, but that's the only source in the hotpress.

A small rad from the glycol might be the easiest.. even a few loops from the solar return might be enough.. thks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Is it to dry clothes? A dehumidifier would work way better than a heater?

Advertisement