Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battles not taken

Options
  • 20-05-2022 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭

There are things now I just wouldn't be bother arguing about or bringing up with people anymore. Life is just easier but I am certainly not going to be meek and be afraid of confrontation. So I have a hedge in the front garden which is about 1 m above the wall which also a metre. I keep the hedge trimmed. A neigbour across the road parks 2 car outside my house half on the path. He has a double drive but they only put a different car there even though room for one of the 2 on the road. Anyway my hedge trimmer broke and the hedge started to grow out a bit on the odd branch.

Got new trimmer and went out to cut the hedge neighours cars weren't there. As I am doing neighbour returns in one of his cars and indicates I am in his way to park so I move the ladder and cable and he parks in front of my house.

Neighbour " Good you got to that it was blocking people on the path"

Me "Needed a new trimmer, do you mind parking a bit further up so I can clean up the leaves and branches"

Neighbour " But I always park here"

Me " I know that, not complaining just want to be able to tidy up the stuff that is now under your car"

Neighbour" But I always park here"

Me " No worries, bye"

Now this guy is an idiot of the highest order, blames some very small branches are blocking the path when his 4x4 is taking over half the path. Didn't give me the courtesy of parking elsewhere while I was actually using the space he wanted nor appreciating I wasn't going to try and sweep under his car.

In younger days I would have just ripped into him but it just wouldn't be worth it him being my neighbour. Not sure it feels any different as ultimately the idiots still exist but I saved some time I guess. Is it old age, the right thing to do or just cowardice? not sure if I am even arsed to care

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm not normally in favour of snitching but if he's going to be a cnut about it, wait about a month or two and then squeal on him.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/dublin/dublin-news/new-80-fine-for-illegal-parking-on-footpaths-must-be-enforced-41345770.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The point is I am not really bothered to be petty about it but good to know they upped the fines because that will be useful for other things that are really ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Should have left a couple of really sharp twig pieces of the hedge directly underneath his front and rear tyres. He would have had punctures when driving off then, and wouldn't be able to blame you as you'd requested he move his car so you could clean up. It's what the knob deserves.

Either that or punch his lights out (car and him). 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I reckon its old age, I've gotten a lot less inclined to involve myself in stuff.

there's a lad on the construction forum, who is almost always first to reply to everything, and while I'm sure his heart is in the right place, most of his info is either outdated or wrong, and I made the decision at the start, that lifes too short to be getting involved with arguing that kind of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It’s almost impossible to get Council or Gardai to act on illegal parking like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If you know a wheelchair user, see if they'll phone the Gardai. There'll be action then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Battles take effort and energy, With age you become more clever with how you use your energy and better at keeping your powder dry. But never forget. Not forgetting applies to the good as well as the bad stuff.

In the situation described I wouldn't rip into him but would snitch. Give the traffic warden something to do. I've done similar with someone who let their dogs sh*te on my lawn. When requested to stop it happening, the owner gave a similar autistic robot type response as the clown described in the OP. Grand. Doggie ended up in the pound, pay to release it and pay a fine for not having a dog licence. Result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Did you not try putting laxatives in some meat for the dog to find?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Wouldn't have been great seeing as the dog was using my property as its toilet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

By the time it kicked in it could be back at the owners house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Slash the cnuts tyres, I'd love if anyone has an alternative but I doubt it, it's your only option now

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Wheelchair users that I speak to have very different experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,093 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s difficult enough to get Gardai to action actual issues…

ive just driven down the Oscar Traynor Road about 70 minutes ago. There is either a match or training in Coolock Lane Park and about 12-15 cars parked in a line, four wheels up on the footpath … training / matches is a regular thing… Coolock Garda station is about half a kilometre and a 2-3 minute drive away in bad traffic which it was..

obviously this is a regular thing as Coolock is a sizeable Garda station and members from said station must pass there at that time regularly and be aware…plus I’d imagine no different on Saturday / Sunday when matches are played..

its hard enough to get them to action actual crime or offences at times or respond but… that’s just a pisstake….not as if this is just happening on Friday 20th May randomly for some reason….

But I’d imagine not a battle worth the effort…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I know exactly what you are talking about there where the cars literally line up outside it whilst the football is on....

What is the alternative for them though?

Park opposite in Kilmore?

Most resident's there are driven demented by hospital worker's parking outside their house's and go into work for the day...

There is also road works now further up the Oscar causing more delays at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭jackboy

He wants you to cut the hedge because if it was long then people would blame his car for blocking the path. Let the hedge grow out, that will annoy him beautifully.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Not cowardice. You just get sick of arguing with fools or non nice People.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I am a meek autist in person, unfortunately I can't handle confrontation. It is probably better that way as I would probably end up in prison if I didn't have social anxiety given how misanthropic I am. I exist to be walked over by society, people can do anything to me. The only time I did snap was in 2010 when 13 year olds kept laughing at me and pushing me and I was 17 year olds. I threw those scoundrels to the ground in the school tennis court. I have to drive past that school often, such haunting memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Part of maturing is knowing when to pick your battles. If you get hot and bothered over every little thing, you’re only damaging yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Know exactly where you are coming from.

I think it is having the experience of life behind, gives me the wisdom to choose arguments, and importantly, not to try rationalize with irrational individuals.

Advertisement