Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coffee shop prices

• 19-05-2022 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

How much is a coffee in your local coffee shop?

I was surprised to pay €3.80 for a cappuccino in Dublin city centre today. I had been working at home for the past year so had been using a home coffee machine and wasn't keeping in touch with prices. Does this seem high?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

normally I'd ask first - what do you think is a 'fair' price for a cappuccino in Dublin City centre.

A Dublin city centre cafe has some very high costs to pay before the final little bit of foamy milk lands in to your cup.

Rent, Rates, Light, Heat, Staff, Insurance and then there is the costs of the equipment - commercial coffee machines can cost more than a small hatchback. Good coffee isn't cheap - I pay €25 for a kilo of beans retail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Yeah, it's probably not fair comparing to what I paid 2 years ago when it was €3.20 if I remember right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

I pay 3 euro for an americano in Mayo. I get that operational costs and overheads are high but they aren't higher than Sydney where I was paying 2.5 euro equivalent last year. And that was for coffee that was far far superior to anything I can find in Ireland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Inflation. It's all the rage now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Here is a newsflash, don't like the price? Go somewhere else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dil87

That's a little higher than most but it is Dublin city centre. Normal would be in and around €3.50 for a 'white' coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Just back from tenerife. Large cappuccino was 1.50 just outside our apartment and a pint of beer was 2 euro. Coffee was nice but the beer was lovely. Costs/taxes in this country are crazy so driving up the retail price. Feel sorry for anyone trying to do business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

There's no criticism or complaint in my post, I'm just curious what general prices are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭caviardreams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭combat14

1 euro for decent coffee lidl or aldi machine killarney recently

3.55 for very small coffee insomnia kilkenny yesterday

2.30 for coffee super valu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Killarney generally e3 for an americano, 2.80 espresso 3.50 cappuccino.

I have a top machine and grinder so mainly drink at home, but, my own beans, I used to try and get good beans (1 kg) delivered for e30, now, i have raised my low price to e35 delivered. I imagine coffee shops are the same, also, we knew that commodities were going up in price. I think most coffee shops raised a bit above the price, so they are not going to be doing it again in 3-6 months.

A lot of the expense in coffee shops is labor, a barista was probably on 12.50 an hour, now they are on 15+, and hard to get at that.

Comparing Ireland to Tenerife or canaries etc is apples to oranges, they may be paying a lot less for beans and definitely a lot less for labour. I was in Florida in January, practically impossible to get a decent coffee, and the price was e4 for an americano, in France back in April (Lille so not a real fancy area) the price was the same as here. I dont think that it has risen beyond where it always was, I used to think that cafes were expensive, until I started making my own at home, training, cleaning the machine a few times a day, adjusting grinder for temperature, wastage, electric, repairing machines, milk is up 25%, beans are up etc. unfortunately, everything is up all over the world.

I rented a car in france for 5 days, it was e740 for a station wagon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd be curious how much a coffee shop would be paying for beans at wholesale prices - i suspect not €30/Kg

but if it takes an employee 2 minutes to make a coffee (not sure what the average/standard time would be), that's 50c probably in staff costs, plus say 30c for the coffee beans in a double shot, add on insurance, rent costs in dublin, etc. etc.

30 seconds to grind, 30 seconds 1.5-2 minutes to make the americano, 3-4, if its milky. 1 minute to clean the filter etc, add in clean the machine a few times throughout the day, cost of beans etc, and all the other expenses, along with buying the machine, probably 6-10k. it's a lot better value than a pint, considering how much labour is involved, in my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,168 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Gym near me charges €2 for an americano and €2.50 for an espresso 🤣

The mind boggles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

there are definitely people complaining about rising prices who are also complaining about living wages and zero hour contracts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Vast majority of advertisements for barista jobs are offering 10.70 to 12 per hour.

Coffee shops like many other businesses are taking the opportunity to partake in some price gouging.

There's no barista in killarney on that wage, even glass collectors wouldn't work for that in the current climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Gmaximum

Price gouging when all their inputs are increasing….

milk has increased

electricity has jumped massively

insurance increases every year

cost of coffee and associated transport

staff costs are increasing to hire and retain

grain, flour etc etc all gone up

The narrative that small business price gouge is ridiculous. You can’t compare a supermarket or garage coffee to your local independent or small chain coffee shop. If you don’t like it take your business elsewhere. Businesses adjust and do their best to remain competitive or they won’t last long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Click into Indeed. Com and search for barista jobs.

Sure let us know what you come up with.

Theres a difference between an ad for a job and actually getting someone at that price. BUt you go ahead and believe that-the esperienced workers in killarney can demand a better pay rate, or they will go elsewhere.

As said by another poster, to think that owners of cafes etc cannot pass on price increases to customers is ludicrous. Their overheads have increased massively. Even for me to buy my own beans has gone up 20%, add to that all the other expenses that have gone up, they are not price gouging by raising prices 10-15%, if you think they are, then dont buy from them. Personally, I drink coffee out maybe 8 times a month, I think it's expensive, but it's justifiable to charge that price. I never think I am being ripped off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I didnt know Aldi have coffee machines, my own local is undergoing a renovation at the moment so hopefully one shows up there when its done.

Have had the Lidl 1 euro coffee from the machine before but I think they are only using 6 or 7g a shot in the machine as it tastes very watery to me. Applegreen are similar, I just dont buy coffee there any more as it is watery.

Otherwise an americano is 3 euro local to me, thats for Badger and Dodo beans. Milk coffees are running about 3.20, they went up 20 cents about 6 months back when the price of milk rose across the board becasue the price of fertilizer almost tripled when the war in Ukraine began.

I dont think coffee shops are gouging, at least not on the coffee itself which I think is still good value I find the cakes/muffins they sell are often overpriced though, at 5-6 euro I dont think Ive ever gotten anything and thought to myself that it was worth it or any kind of value for money.

Advertisement