Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What unpopular food opinion do you have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Try and get yourself some comté my friend, or some halloumi. Delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I make great gravy and lots of it. 😋

Whatever I’m roasting, I sit on top of a bed of chopped onions, carrots and celery. When the roast has finished, I discard all the fat and put the above veg into a small, deep pot with as much water as you need and a desert spoon or two of Bisto (the original not granules).

Get a hand blender and blitz everything together.

Bring to the boil and then simmer for a minute or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

If you have time to add some red wine and simmer it, it adds a depth of flavour that's hard to get otherwise. Takes time to burn off the alcohol though. If you don't burn it all off, it's not nice.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭scottygee

Now, that sounds like one tasty gravy! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've done this but I find the resultant gravy too like a vegetable soup.

• Advertisement

Steak purists are indeed an annoying crowd. As if there is a right or wrong way to do it.

I am a big lover of some rare steak but like you I hate cold food too. For this reason I am big into the "hot stone" approach to steak. I cook it rare and then serve it up on an incredibly hot stone. This means as you cut it and bring it to your plate it is A) hot and B) more cooked than the last piece you had. As such the entire steak experience for me is both hot and varied.

Purists seem to hate the entire idea though :) Or at least the ones who were moved to comment which were thankfully few.

Adding more water may help but the brown colour is like a warning sign - this is gravy, not soup!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 shortcircuit_99

I think a lot of it has to with the quality of the meat starting out. If it's a good piece of steak, it will still be nice even medium-well.

However the not so good pieces suffer from being overcooked, because if they are tough to begin with, cooking them past medium just makes a tough piece even tougher. I personally like my steak rare but not cold, internal temperature of about 50 DegC is about perfect for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

I haven’t read the full thread so forgive me if I’m going over old ground!

Christmas dinner is always a disappointment,

anyone who puts ice in milk should lose their fingers

most of the fancy barista coffee is muck.

that is all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭nhg

Aldi have tubs of smashed avocado, the spicy one, with full fat cream cheese on chilli flavour rice cakes is just pure delicious….

Gave up on the fresh avocado 🥑 due to too many being unripe or just ripe but rotten when you half them as other poster said

• Registered Users Posts: 16 shortcircuit_99

Avocados are a constant disppointment.

If you buy them unripe and leave them ripen on the window, you are guaranteed as soon as you think it's ripe, when you cut in it will be pure rotten

• Registered Users Posts: 17 thugtomas

Some food opinions can be quite controversial. Do you share any of these unpopular food opinions?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

It's not just boards. It's the whole internet. Pseudo-AI trawl bots that sign into all kinds of forums and social media and just post random nonsense - often compiled from text from the thread they are posting on - or simply lifted off random parts of the internet. For example the "user" above also posted on a thread about heat pumps and just copy and pasted a whole sentence from the www.energy.gov website word for word.

More often than not such bots post non sequitur nonsense that instantly feels weird. But occasionally they can fool people into thinking it's an actual post from an actual person. It looks like this bot has only posted 13 posts. But 1 - perhaps 2 - that I have seen actually sorta "fit".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think American Long Grain rice is tastier than Basmati rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

Christmas dinner is the most overrated thing ever

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I hate all types of Christmas food (especially the sweet stuff) and usually go for more of a Mexican theme.

You’re probably not wrong but it is still the culinary highlight of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Depends what you cook. Mum's 1960s style one hour overcooked turkey is certainly shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭nice bit of green

Tinned fish is great. Sardines, mackerel and tuna. Versatile, quick and healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

On the Xmas dinner we have BBQ Brisket, I introduced it to my in law’s about 10 years ago and it’s literally changed the traditional ham & turkey affair. We still have the turkey as it delicious with left over BBQ sauce (from scratch). My family is of Jewish decent so we don’t eat pork and have always had some kind of Brisket at Xmas. My MIL still does the ham but we don’t have it for the dinner nor is there a sprout in sight.

Me: can’t eat a pack cheese & onion crisps without a 99 to dip them into.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I really like sprouts. There, I said it. I happily eat the little buggers boiled, fried, stir-fried, as coleslaw or in salads, in soup or bubble and squeak. I think they're delicious.

Fight me.

The traditional turkey thing certainly is. I love food and cooking deeply. And I like pretty much every food that exists. There is very little I do not like. But for whatever reason Turkey is just very low on my list. It's not a meat I like to work with if I can help it and it is a meat that done badly - is really bad.

With most meat things like spices and herbs and gravy and so on are there to augment and add to the flavor of the meat. Too often with Turkey I find they are there to conceal it. Its like pears and Avocado. Both are lovely things to eat but when you get a bad one you really get a bad one and it can put you off for life.

But I have done Turkey well and had it done well. And done well it is still very good. But even the best done turkey to me is still only barely comparable to even a moderately good duck for example.

For Christmas for us we go with Goose. To the point that we buy our own geese. Keep them and feed them well at home on our land. The kids get involved in caring for the animal and we ensure it is both happy and fed in the most ideal fashions. Then when the right time comes we have it slaughtered and our Christmas cooking is centered around it. So it's a meal that brings the whole family together for a long time before Christmas is even peaking over the horizon.

To me this is so far superior to turkey that they can barely even be mentioned in the same conversation.

For some reason it has never appealed. Partially this is aesthetics. I simply do not like the look of them compared to chickens and geese and duck. Partially it is probably due to being physically attacked by a group of them when I visited Newbridge House & Farm in the Donabate demense :) They are grumpy vicious little buggers it seems.

But mostly since I do not like to work with the meat - I decided to stick to birds I actively want to kill and eat.

They are also meant to be the stupidest birds going. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 28,155 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Seems like you have more than enough reason to want the turkeys dead dead dead :)

We usually do our 'bird' - turkey or duck, at Thanksgiving (relic of living in the States for a while).

And for Christmas, beef.

Tends to work out better value that way too.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Beef is great but I work with it for so much of the year - and Christmas feels like it should be something "other" or different or rarer.

So goose is good for that as it's not something we have often.

Also since we buy it a long time before, care for it feed it and so on - it's a whole family thing that the kids are involved in. Which makes it more Christmassy.

I have considered replacing the goose with goat some year and doing the same thing.

Advertisement