Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best responses to the classic "why are you still single?"?

Options
  • 17-05-2022 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38 vithit

I'm only 23 and I'm already getting this. I guess it's what happens when you're from a rural area and a third of your school year have already had kids. There's only so many times I can say "guess it's my personality". The honest answer "I'd prefer to stay single until I meet someone who makes my life better for being in it" doesn't seem to work.

Give us some creative responses to those nosey relatives and family friends.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Facthunt

I'm becoming a nun!! Or Priest!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If the person asking has kids, reply with "Why did you ruin your life with kids?"

If they don't, say "Why are you in a loveless relationship?"

Neither may be true, but it'll make them think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭standardg60

Ask me again in ten years when i'm happy and you're not

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Facthunt

There is a lot of advantages in a NSA fcuk bud ..... speaking here from experience!

Mr or Mrs Right will come in time! Don't feel forced to find someone.

23 is very young to be hitting the panic button. Enjoy life ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

At least they're asking and not telling you you're still single because you're 'too choosy". !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Years ago I once heard a woman answer a similar question...with I never met the right person, I'd have loved to have been a mother.., jaws dropped open all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Bonus points if you then wistfully pull out a butternut squash with a face drawn in it, and offer it to your exposed nipple. x10 if you're male.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 vithit

Sincerely saying that as a wizened 23 would also produce a similar result no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,093 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Because your mother is deaf and can’t hear the phone ringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The point is the truth unsettles people and unsettling people usually shuts them up, although the op has tried the honest answer and it hasn't worked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

At weddings old people like saying "you'll be next now", do the same to them at funerals

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I don’t think I have ever been asked this question, but I can’t see why the usual response of silence wouldn’t settle the debate for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Cos I hate women

Make a comment about the person's mother. It's extra effective if they're not around any more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Supply chain problems.

Good luck.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Hoop66

"Too busy wanking". Then pull out your lad.

• I had honestly thought Irish society didn’t think like this any more. 🧐 I’m 61, single & fancy free, nobody has ever asked, as far as I can recall, why I didn’t get married. Actually, I correct myself, a man in Turkey did, was curious as to why a “lovely” (his adjective) woman would not be married.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Yeah it doesn't really happen outside of occasional instances leading to an article in a paper about how society judges single women so harshly.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Because I've got 99 problems, and making another human being as miserable as I am ain't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭victor8600

"I am not single, my girlfriend is a secret agent. If you know what's best for you, you should stop asking."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

I do, I like women. If you don't mind, I like women. I love women. I'm mad about women! I've been married three times and the one I'm married to now is going to last forever because I am infatuated with women. I don't know why you are so obsessed with me. Don't you have a life? Go ahead and live, do something.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Have you tried looking at the other 50% of the World's gender?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,975 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I had an elderly neighbour, great character , Bachelor all is long life but always had a Dog. Sadly now departed.

Got to know him very well, I'd pop over to check on him , particularly winter months , he was always in great form.

I enquired of him one winter evening sitting by a Turf fire (can I say that 🤔) , why he never Married . Taking a puff out of his pipe and with a wry smile on his face, he pointed over to his Dog , he said, it's like this you see,

"I'd rather have the Dog, wagging his Tail than a Women wagging her Tongue 😁"

I'm 54 going on 55, have been engaged (Twice) perhaps impossible to live with but being totally honest I love and need my own space

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Do sheep count ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I just tell them that........😉

• Registered Users Posts: 38 vithit

I mean, that's genuinely true in my case so 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭SunnySundays

Depending on who is asking and the context you could use some of the following:

- Haven't met the right person

- Happy as I am

- I met the right ones at the wrong time & the wrong ones at the right time

- It's hard pick one when there's so many options

- I get bored easily

- I have standards

- She/he would need to be pretty amazing to settle down

- The bigger mystery is how you aren't single!

Some of those responses may result in you being single longer!!

"I guess lady love hasn't chosen to shine her light on me yet." Or some other similar b*llocks like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Because I don't like to eat steak every night of the week, I like variety.

Advertisement