Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford EVs

Options
  • 16-05-2022 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭

Why are Ford so far behind many other manufacturers with EV models?

The brother will only buy Ford (local garage), intends to change his Focus in 2 years time, and is planning to buy a petrol, since diesel will be unavailable.

I'd try to convince him to buy an EV but it looks like the only Ford available will be an ID.4 equivalent which would be too big and expensive for his needs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,276 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ford don’t make cars at all in America. So don’t be surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah a lot of the Ford's sold here are based on platforms that Ford buy from other companies. I don't think they've developed a budget car in house for years, their focus is on the profitable models like the CUVs and pickups (which incidentally are both being electrified)

Also, as I recall the recession in 2008 blew Ford's r&d budget apart, which is about the time that a lot of other companies were getting started into EV research

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

But they make a **** ton of crossovers and pickups.

Saw a mustang on Saturday. Didn’t think I’d see one this year. I’m sure it had to belong to a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Ford has been putting a lot of their effort into the F-150 Lightning for the American market, which honestly is easily one of my favourite EVs, if it'd fit on an Irish road I'd love to have one.

They have announced three new EVs will launched in Europe by 2024, an electric Puma, a mid-size SUV (based on the ID.4 MEB platform) and some sort of sport crossover. They could do very well if they play their cards right. Ford has a lot of customer loyalty.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next generation Focus (which should be due in late 2025) is electric only.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

If the ID.4 equivalent will be beyond my brother's budget, wouldn't the Mustang definitely be?

I haven't bothered checking the Mustang price, I just assumed it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭fafy

It has been odd, and really really out of step, that Ford have only 1 EV right now, and Toyota have none, allthough they have that new bZ4X SUV on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The Mach E is not selling at all as its completely mispriced, Tesla model Y money

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭eire4

I just got a new Mustang Mach E and am loving it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

It’s a lovely car. Enjoy.

Ford in Europe is struggling in general. The Mondeo is gone, the fiesta and focus are going. What’s left is the Puma, Kuga. And I think Ecosport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,583 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

And I think Ecosport.

What a terrible name for a car. They really should have named it the Fiesta X or Fiesta Cross. Any of them would have been better and made more sense than what they named it.

It's basically a Fiesta inside anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

• Registered Users Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Is it a surprise that they're struggling? I mean the Fiesta is proof that you that you can make misery into a product and sell it

In the US for their pickups and SUV's they seem pretty well specced and reasonably well built

Dunno about their smaller cars in the US but over here they seem to be designed by accountants and built by idiots

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They don't do small cars in the US any more. Other than Mustang, they dropped everything below SUVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭eire4

Yes your right there. Other then the Mustang ICE version they don't make regular cars in the US anymore. It's all SUV's and trucks. I have driven Ford Fusion hybrid's when there before as rentals and liked driving them as an aside. For myself as I mentioned above I bought a Mustang Mach E and almost a year into owning it still loving it.

Advertisement