Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas green line in rush hour before pandemic

Options
  • 16-05-2022 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello I'm viewing one development near Luas Milltown station and was wondering how crowded it is in the morning rush hour. It's probably fine right now given that a lot of people still work from home, but I heard it was very crowded before the pandemic. Did anyone here have the experience to use Luas for commute between Milltown (or nearby stations) and city centre in 2018/2019? I'm fine with a crowded tram but my fear is impossibility to get on at all (like what happens in those horrible videos about rush hour subway in Japan😂)

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If things get back to pre-pandemic in terms of commute then it will be very busy yes, and you might have to skip a tram or two if they are full as far in as Milltown. It will get worse, since the Cherrywood development will add a lot of passengers, and Clay Farm in Leopardstown has increased in size significantly too.

The Green Luas is going to become a major issue and the failure to upgrade to a Metro is going to be a very costly one. NIMBYism got in the way of sensible public infrastructure again unfortunately.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

And all the SHD developmetns on Brennanstown Road plus the increase in size of the Cherrywood SDZ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Weak moron politicians and planners decided its faith. Not nimby's...

It absolutely was NIMBYs, specifically certain residents of Ranelagh who took issue with the closure of 1 road.

There was also all sorts of misinformation spouted by interest groups, like the Luas being closed for years to facilitate it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Yeah and like you say, it was nonsense. These very well paid and pensioned "experts" shouldn't be making decisions on the local mob fools spouting misinformation. Best thing that can happen is total green line overload and a forcing of the issue...

• Advertisement

Ah yes, I get what you mean now. Yes it is unfortunate that our planning process for public infrastructure is so vulnerable to this sort of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 tastestory

Good call, thanks. I didn't even think about Cherrywood and Clay Farm... but I suppose the trams departing from Sandyford would be still okay as passengers from Cherrywood and Clay Farm wouldn't take that one. However, passengers from Stillorgan or Dundrum may still fill the tram quickly as they can't squeeze in the tram from Brides Glen. Maybe in the future stations like Milltown or Cowper will be only meaningful for non-rush hour rides... Indeed I need to take that into account, because Milltown is not well-served at all by buses - I mean the frequency of bus 44 and 61 is like every one hour? Almost useless...😔

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭SteM

Hate to be the one to say it, but would you consider cycling from there instead? Can't be more the 5km into the city cente, probably not much slower than the luas trip. Fairly flat run too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Remember when they said the Luas track would also incorporate a cycle lane...

Yep, it's definitely a good idea when the weather is not too bad, but Luas would be more comfortable than cycling in strong wind and heavy rain😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I can't remember more detail than I will give, but I have a friend who commutes in from Dundrum. Certain Luas trams are longer than others. Longer ones have a certain number on the front. Prior to lockdown, if he saw one coming, he would move to the back of the tram, the platform is empty as people don't expect it to be so long, so congregate in the first two-thirds of the platform. There would always be lots of space at the back compared to the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

This was the case before the extension programme. Now all trams on the Green Line are 55m.

Yes all the trams are longer but it will still not have sufficient capacity.

All that said, if you can avoid commuting at the absolute peaks times you are unlikely to have any issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

I live in Dundrum, 2 stops further out. I cycle to work but my daughter used to get the Luas to school in Ranelagh. She would take a luas 3 stops outwards from Dundrum, then cross the tracks and get a luas going back in. It is full in Dundrum at rush hour with only a fraction of hose waiting getting on. Every few trams you might have one less crowded. Will be worse again further in.

When the 25k residents of Cherrywood come on line this will be far worse. They are looking to add 850 appartments adjacent to Dundrum luas station as well. The only way you will get on in Milltown heading into city centre will be if girls are getting off the luas to go to school in alex and you manage to get one of the spots they vacate.

All that is pre-pandemic ofc., i imagine much easier now, i guess it depends on what proportion of people continue blended working.

Cycling from milltown is a good option though. It's flat, good cycle lanes, short. You can definitely do it faster than getting a luas, depending on how close to a stop your place of work is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

Are you flexible with time? A little earlier or a little later and it's demonstrably fine. Just a lot of people for work/personal reasons can only board it between 8.10 and 8.50. But if you can go before or after that you should be fine.

Many thanks for sharing the detailed information and advice!

Great to know. Actually I'm quite flexible, and I can cycle when weather is not too bad, so hopefully it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The advantage with Milltown is that you will have a significant number of Alexandra College students getting off the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The Green line is full at peak already. I know someone who commutes from Balally and they sometimes can't get onto the trams now, it's going to be a nightmare when all the developments being built are finished. Red line will be as bad, thousands of apartments being built around Citywest

Wow, it's full even as far as from Balally!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I get the luas from further out than Balally 3 mornings a week, and I haven’t seen it full at Balally at all since before the pandemic

Advertisement