Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10kWh LifePO4 DIY Battery Addition..... Here is my write up.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mrohare

Fleabay used for £480.

Couldn't get it anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dermotx

Thanks for that. Great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Mr Q

You will struggle to get one for that now. There is currently one on the UK Ebay and he is looking for 1k GBP for it and it is used.

randombar has mentioned on another topic that wdsolar.nl sent him one even though they don't list Ireland as a delivery location. Seem to be one of the only places with stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Considering DIY myself for battery and solar so this is much appreciated guide.

To clarify my calculations 32 X 200ah (thanks for the mentions of the reliable Ali sellers) equates to approx 20Kwh (ignoring losses for charge and discharge)?

I see offers of higher ah rated batteries. Assuming you could find the right price Vs capacity value wise is there any thing different other than capacity?

My simple understanding is connect 16 in series to get up to approx 48 volts for inverter input and then another batch in parallel (groups of 16 in series essentially).

Can a BMS handle the initial balancing?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

It will take a long time for a BMS to do the initial balance, it can maintain it though.

You can get 16 at a time and go with that. The seplos can be daisy chained like that or go for a single bms and have a string of 16 pairs of paralleled cells (16s2p)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

Regarding higher cell ah's, those mostly appear to be the aluminium cased cells with quite small terminal posts and busbars.

I think that all of us with the 200ah CALB's would agree that the casings of them is far better and the terminals with M8 bolts and the multileaf copper busbars are a far better option

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭connesha

I'll soon start my DIY build of 20kwh CALB 16s2p, Seplos BMS, into a Solis Hybrid 5G 6kw.

A couple of questions on top balancing...

1) Is there any issue with top balancing all 32 cells together? (apart from it taking a long time). Intend to buy the power supply the OP here posted (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09C8LWV9W). I'm not in any rush, and have a few more bits and pieces to get still, so even it if takes a couple of weeks I'd be happy to let it sit there working away slowly.. and it'll save crawling into the attic a couple of times to change connections...

2) When the batteries are balanced, how long is it Ok to leave them sitting there before connecting to BMS/inverter? Do they drift after a few days/weeks if left unused? (or if keep the them connected in parallel after disconnecting the Power Supply they'll stay balanced?)

Thanks

I certainly plan to charge them up to 100% first with my INVERTER, then disconnect them and then top balance them properly

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

1) It will take very long with 10Amp PSU. As @championc said top it first. You do not need to charge it to 100% just get to 3.5V on the cells. Also you do not need to connect to inverter. I have used DC PSU the could supply 58V and let BMS do the rest.

2) They do drift slowly but if you leave them connected the same way as you did top balancing they will drift equally. Leave them connected after top balancing overnight and on the next day connect to BMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

getting close to starting to put my battery together and looking for some help that isn’t too clear from the bits spread out across the different threads. My set up will be seplos and me3000. Once I have batteries set up and bms connected to battery do I need to configure the bms before or after connecting to the me3000? Once I connect it to a PC what exactly am I setting up in it? Do I need to do a firmware update or is it good to go?

on the me3000 then, anything i should watch out for on the set up of that or just step through the menus as it powers up?

last question then is I understand I need to do a charge and discharge cycle at the start but how exactly do I do that?

thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

I'm interested in this. Shed rebuild with an expanded roof area will be the place for panels.

I'm a bit confused though and reading conflicting things about BMS needed Vs not and what ones are compatible with the Solis Hybrid inverter on my planned purchase list. Does the Seplos BMS work and is there a reliable supplier anyone is aware of for one? Only listing I found had zero stock.

@spose

The BMS is only powered by the batteries, so it will need to be connected to them to configure them.

Remember the small reset button which you may need to press to turn it on.

When configuring, you immediately need to set the interface to RS485 and the protocol to SOFAR . I may have the wrong names here but the items are side by side near the top right corner when in the admin screen.

Don't worry too much about the full charge and discharge. It only needs this to accurately calculate the capacity.

I think I posted a copy of my config file earlier in this thread, that you could use for values.

Once all setup, then configure the ME3000 for the battery type "General Lithium"

• Registered Users Posts: 9 wonder1

Hi, Apologies if this is the most basic of questions, but what do I actually buy on this screen. I understand I need to buy a '4 cells option'. But what is that and where do i select it to add to cart?

Thanks (Im a complete newbie)

The Colour is what they are using to select lots. You want 16 cells - so 4 lots of 4. Should be about €1300 after the reduction

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CoffeeBean2

I am now committed to this adventure now as I have ordered 16PCS Lifepo4 3.2V 200AH. I'm currently in the process of putting together a shopping list and understand that the SoFar ME3000 is hard to get a hold of at the moment. With the high price, I may just go for the SoFar hybrid inverters as it would allow me to add some additional panels to the garage roof.

If I am going down the SoFar direction, I assume the best bet for the BMS is a Seplos 48V 16S LiFePo4 150A, at least reading messages here, that appears to be the route most have taken.

I read in your post @BlueFish that you purchased your Seplos BMS from Minerals Official Store on AliExpress, but I am unable to find that product within their store. I did find the below item, and while the webpage does not mention Seplos in the description, the photos do look like the Seplos BMS. Do you think it is the right one, or could it be a knock off?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003443741614.html

Thanks championc, I can’t seem to see that config file you posted any chance you could post again please

Here's my XML file of settings for my Seplos. Huge thanks to @garo for guidance.

I have pushed the top end values to try and bring up some cells which were lagging behind at the top end when charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ducky1981

Hey what is the best inverter to use for the battery setup I'm looking at a sofar or a Solis any recommendations or advice greatly appreciated

Now that the Solis is confirmed as all ok with the new firmware on the Seplos, it would seem either.

From an automation and remote control of the inverter (telling it maybe to charge overnight or not, or charge to xx%), I think the Sofar is the clear winner, using a sofar2mqtt device and using passive mode on a Sofar Storage or Hybrid inverter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ducky1981

It's the sofar hyd 6000-es I was looking at if I can get my hands on one at the moment so it should be good to go with the lifepo4 battery and the seplos BMS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Mr Q

There are several used ME3000SP gone up on the UK ebay in the last few days. But they are expensive for used versions.

I used one of the sellers previously for an inverter and all was as described.

Second set nearly here. From PWOD on AliExpress and proof for those unsure about taxes etc, you can see that they are commencing their trip from "Poland".

UPS website says I'll have them by Tuesday.

And they have arrived

Lost a week of progress to the good weather. Battery built and everything just about ready to switch on the sofar later today. Found getting the bms connected to the laptops a bit awkward but connected now. Thanks champion for the parameter file. One thing I’ve noticed though is it doesn’t seem to take the battery size and soc reading from the file. It still says 100ah and 75% soc. Any ideas why or does it even matter. I didn’t do a firmware update for the bms, should I?

Just change the Capacity and SOC from on-screen and then click the Send All.

You may need a Firmware update if you are connecting it to a Solis inverter.

Thanks to a lot of the help here I have my 32 cells up and running now with seplos and me3000 and pretty happy. Having some intermittent alarms on the bms so still trying to figure them out but seems to be charging and discharging ok for a few hours now

Have you two separate strings, or 16s2p ?

16s2p

getting a lot of intermittent alarms for different reasons in charge/discharge. Mail sent to seplos but any suggestions welcome

• Advertisement

Why was it Charging at 22:04 ? And what SOC% did it discharge to ?

Advertisement