Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel bars around Galway serving residents only

Options
  • 15-05-2022 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Anyone else come across this. Hotel Bars not allowing or serving walk in's. Have come across it so far in the ardilaun, clybaun, maldon, nox and menlo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Buddy74

Maybe ask them but I think these are some of the reasons I know of:

1- Getting around the law that you need to serve everyone when you don't want to.

2- Staff crunch as they haven't enough to serve people heard a hotel had committed to a huge awards evening and had to bus workers in from a sister hotel

3- Most hotels are Family orientated and make their revenue from this, so they don't want groups in arguing and swearing at the Television as a hotel manager pointed out " If they are fans why don't they have these channels at home?". Witnessed a 40-year-old son (ex-workmate) and his father asked to leave as they after been asked repeatedly politely to quieten. Or maybe it's they can't do that at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've seen it happen in the Imperial when there are certain events on in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Was it a covid thing? I have definitely gone for drinks in Ardilaun and Clybaun not being a resident. I'd check to say they are still doing it too now that restrictions are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Yes still a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭what_traffic

When - the last week, month, the past year? What time of day?

• Advertisement

Last Sunday in the ardilaun and the previous Saturday in the clybaun. Both days from lunchtime into evening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Ardilaun taking food bookings on the web, and a friend just went for a drink in the Clybaun the other day to meet someone (now she's local and prob knows staff too). Was it just for a pint you went OP? Wonder if it's ok for dining but not a casual pint (bar my friend who knows staff there).

One occasion was a Communion and other was a christening. The clybaun bar staff wouldn't budge to the point that the parent who organised the Communion had to call the manager he had dealt with. Ardilaun staff not as bad, just that signs up in the hotel saying residents /reservations only

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If a large unbooked group turns up, places simply may not have the staff available to cope.

Staffing very difficult at the moment.

Advertisement