Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

For Sale - Apollo 1240 Amiga 1200 Accelerator Card - *TESTED WORKING* - Up-gradable to 68060

• 15-05-2022 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

For Sale - Tested Working Apollo 1240

The story behind this card is as follows - I Was a very enthusiastic Amiga fan for a long time - always regret selling my 1200/030 system back in the day. Decided a number of years ago to rebuild a 1200 - purchased some parts and was planning it to be a long term project. Things changed, and my interests lie elsewhere - recently sold my 1200 parts - Waited to have a friend with a working 1200 test this card to confirm working order - he got back to me this week and confirmed - working perfectly!

My intention was to refurb my stock 1200, and upgrade with this card for a A1240/040/8MB (i would have gotten a 32MB simm from somewhere - readily available)

So about the card specifically

• Its a vintage Apollo 1240 with an 68040 chip, and an 8MB SIMM - The chip has a fan - im sure Amiga aficionados remember that the 040 tended to run a bit hot so. Still an excellent chip of course, and CONSIDERABLY faster than a stock 020, or an 030
    • The card is known to suffer from battery leaks - however i can confirm to all, that on this front - everything is good - the battery is in the White container (top picture) - a quick google will show that when it leaks it sometimes takes the associated components with it - but in this case - all good! I would advise taking this off actually - but entirely up to the buyer - some people retro-fit a modern battery, others remove entirely, thereby losing the backup clock
    • this card CAN ACTUALLY BE UPGRADED - you can remove the 68040 (if you do, SELL IT!!! People buy 040s to use on more modern fabricated accelerator cards - and they readily sell for healthy prices) - anyway yes, you can remove the hot-running 040 - and replace with a cooler 68060 - and go full throttle on the fastest NON-PPC A1200 that was ever available! Plenty of guides available online for this
    • I believe the stock MAX MEMORY was 32MB but i have seen evidence online that by replacing Roms etc - you can beef this up further - never got full confirmation on this though so - obviously caution advised -

This is a decent vintage card - they readily sell for 300+++ euro online, with shipping only adding to the cost - even battery damaged specimens are sought after for people to mod and refurb, but rest assured this WORKS, and is ready for use - perhaps you have a bigger SIMM too, - but as is you turn a 1200 into an A1200/040-8MB

If i dont get any feedback i will probably sell elsewhere later in the week - but if anyone wants to discuss id be looking for 250

Happy to chat/discuss - if its too pricey i totally get it - dont wanna get into any arguments on the price - we know from Ebay and other market places that these are excellent sought after pieces of computer history - that said, i am open to genuine offers - if i dont get any i will be putting on EBAY promptly but with shipping etc - it could be pricey so -

If anyone prefers to do a deal on Adverts - we could always discuss here - and then complete the deal over on Adverts - just for your own peace of mind etc

Chat soon i hope! Long Live Amiga

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Post edited by Optimus Prime on

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement