Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Your own pictures of bad parking **WITH CHAT**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Over the years I have seen many people parking badly. I used to get annoyed and have a go at them, but that just got nowhere and I'm not getting into a fight over someone's inability to park properly.

I changed tact and now I ask them if they need me to help guide them into the space - I'm as nice as pie to show that I'm truly trying to be of assistance. I generally get the 'Oh, didn't think I was outside the lines' response and they park it properly - no grief, no aggro. On rare occasions, they will ignore me but I have made the point and perhaps they will be a bit more considerate next time.

If they're pulling into a disabled space, I ask them if they realised it was a disabled space and let them know that they are clamping and towing cars that don't have a badge. To them, I'm just a concerned citizen who is looking after others... in reality, I think they're absolute gobshites and they should be banned from sitting behind a steering wheel :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I have tried this approach when I see people park in disabled bays. Most times you’ll shame them into moving, which of course helps if you’re super polite about it.

I have however been told to “fûck off and mind your own business ya prick” amongst other things, as well as having a scumbag try to punch me once for politely asking him not to park his BMW X5 in a disabled bay. What was mildly amusing about this is he was about a foot smaller than me (I’m just over 6’6”), I say mildly as it wasn’t a pleasant experience being threatened like that.

Can't understand why someone would react that way. I have never had anyone try to kick off with me - I'm 6 foot, so I'm not huge by any stretch, but I'm quite solidly built. Says a lot about people if they're willing to kick off when they're in the wrong. I wish their cars would be towed or clamped, but most places won't do that for fear of losing a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I didnt have a phone with me today but to the taxi driver with a white car "parked" and I use that word with serious tongue in cheek in the Aldi car park in Sandyford at around 12.00 today, you sir are an absolute gobsh*te

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Didn't get the chance to take a pic yesterday, but on the M6 just East of Athlone, needed to pull into a Layby for a minute and as I approached I saw one vehichle - a RAV4 - parked at 90 degrees to the kerb - even though the Layby was empty.

Anyhoo, I did plan to take a pic, but as I entered the Layby and got right up to it, then I saw it: it was an unmarked dark blue RAV4 with a member of AGS sitting in it, with the laser pointed back up the road. Hence the parking .................

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

I have visions of a very funny conversation ensuing...

AGS: Why are you taking photos of my car?

You: To post on a boards thread about bad parking...

AGS: Really? OK, I'm just going to check your licence, insurance, tax, NCT, lights, tyres, fuel, seatbelts, and do you mind blowing into this breathalyser please?

AGS: Oh, and by the way, did you know that using a phone whilst behind the wheel of a car is an offence?

You: ****...

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Anecdotal for sure but I've found aggression in general has been on the increase since the pandemic, but the incident I refer to above is from approx. 15 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Arklow south quay bridge street junction

Sure when you can't find a space .. just park on the footpath

This is the location:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,023 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Either there's posts being deleted here, or something weird is happening, but this is the third time this thread has been marked as having new posts but actually doesn't. Not happening on any other thread.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Garzard

Donegal Town tonight beside the Aldi, actually laughed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Stolen from Twitter, the overhead sign does say car park

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭bmc58

As a Disabled Driver with a legal Disabled Driver card I would be still wary of challenging certain groups of Irish society for parking in Disabled bays.It would only get you into a bad situation.Some people don't care where they park.A place near where there going,eg, Post Office is grand.Parking in a blue Disabled spot is perfect for them.

I'm saccharine-sweet about it, so it's hard to get pissed off - I play the good samaritan / concerned stranger very well. If they start throwing verbals at me... I'm not bothered about some gobshite giving me lip - it's water off a duck's back (sticks and stones and all that). If they wanted to get physical, and I doubt that would happen, I'm not getting into fisty cuffs with a stranger for being a tool, so I would walk away. If they started throwing digs... then I'm entitled to defend myself :-)

As I must use crutches permanently (but can get around fairly ok) there's no way I would go so far as to get into a fight with someone who is in a Disabled bay without the Disabled card.I would ask if they have a card as they are parked in a Disabled bay.Nearly all give some excuse so I'd just leave it at that.Still they get a little reminder.

Best of the year without a doubt.Beyond unbelieveable(or whatever that means).Car should be crushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Loads of room in the driveway, but couldn't be arsed getting around the other vehicle, so they just block most of the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

I didn't take a photo as there was someone in the car, but the other day there was a car parked (a) on double yellow lines (b) on most of the footpath and (c) within 5 metres of the junction right outside Dundrum Garda station, where the cones are in this screenshot from Google Street View.

And no, it wasn't an unmarked Garda car, unless they were doing an inept stakeout of Holy Cross primary school.

Also - as usual - a couple of cars parked up on the footpath across the road in full view of the Garda station.

Let me guess, the cars parked on the footpath opposite the Garda station were Hyundais?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

no photo, but some time ago I was taking my lunchtime stroll through the city when a car came out of a very small side street, a lane really. That in itself was slightly unusual as I have never seen cars on that lstreet before, and it drove 5 yards to the post office and parked very nearly 90 degrees onto the path. Rock-star parking my mate calls it ... abandoned I call it. Anyway, 2 very rough males get out, engine still running, and head to the post office. I think this is very suspicious, so I take out my phone . One of them sees me and halts, and shouts "what you goin ta do, boss! Take a pitcher? Do y athink we is goin to rob da place?" ..... well, YES. It really did look like it

I didnt take 'pitcher' , but made mental note of reg and checked if there were any robberies later that day. There wasnt ....

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

No, they weren't. I generally see them only in the afternoons - I guess they belong to parents collecting their kids from the school.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, there are lots of Hyundai cars with no insurance discs seen at that spot.

In fairness, the Woodies car park was 80% empty this evening, but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

SuperValu Sutton. Entitlement at it’s best.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭POBox19

Has anyone seen their own, or a friend or family members, car in the pictures in the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,023 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Given that the car in the second picture is both parked legally and on private property, I'd be blocking out its reg. Certainly not for the illegally parked in a public place ones though.

Life ain't always empty.

Which picture? Have the mods been deleting without saying owt again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Is it not a grey area to take pictures of private property from a public space? Obviously something like a church or architecture stuff is fair game but I could have sworn I read something years ago about it not being entirely legal to take photos of a private home from a public space. Especially in the context of shaming them. Open to correction of course.

There's a Nissan Silvia with a few tasteful JDM mods in my area for a long time that I've wanted to post a picture of but haven't as it was in their garden.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 633 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Yeah I did cos I was on mobile I wasn't going to edit 2 posts. You should know better than taking photos of cars parked on private property.

• Advertisement
Advertisement