Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is emigrating worth it anymore?

Options
  • 12-05-2022 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I love Ireland. I realise it's far from perfect. The rain gets to ya sometimes. Our social lives seem to revolve around drink. The begrudgery is awful, especially if you're from a rural part of the country like myself. Housing is an absolute nightmare, so much so that I've never even considered Dublin for college or work. It's just not an option.

But generally speaking, I love Irish people. We really are hilarious and sure we moan, but we don't take ourselves nearly as seriously and I admire that. We're very generous folk.

However, I'm 23 this year and finishing college. Part of me longs to try somewhere else. I think that I'd like to settle here, ultimately. I've considered Oz and Canada or even Germany, given I have a German degree and would love to strengthen my German. I'm not really tied down by anything at the minute, I'm single and most of my friends are slowly going their separate ways, so I guess if I were to emigrate it would be soon. But it isn't 2008-2012, would it be stupid to go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

go travel and find out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Inflation and the artificially created housing shortage are everywhere now

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

It absolutely is.

The experience and learning you get from experiencing other countries and cultures is simply unbeatable.

It will stand to you in both work and personal life and will give you a varied outlook and understanding of different people and cultures which you can pass on to others especially children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Absolutely worth doing, in a way it was the worst thing i did because i saw what living was actually like for a change and here i am now wondering will i ever get out of this country again.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Go for it. You'll learn a lot and wont regret it. You can always come home if you don't like it, but it's worth a shot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 fishersham

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭toyotatommy

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well if you have a degree in German and you have never lived in a German speaking country…. What are you waiting for? There is Germany, Austria, Switzerland, pockets of Italy and France etc… your foot loose, fancy free, no permit issues etc….

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

French Foreign Legion might be for you , OP.

They do a bit of travelling , not really your usual sun spots though and you get to met different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

I left for England at 20 gave less than a year there, home for 18 months then went to New Zealand and gave near three years between there and Australia im 27 now waiting to gst qualified here and hopefully head back to Australia then.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭student7890

Once you take the journey the gate is forever open. Consider carefully. Settle for long winters here or take the chance, what's the worst can happen.

The happiest man In my street lives abroad.

The smiths

Beam me up Scotty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

In a word “yes”.

love home, love my friends, love my family. However, couldn’t make a,living in Ireland. Here I am currently living in the States comfortably, working hard and making a living. So I miss home? Absolutely! Still plan on being home 3 times this year. (Despite the car hire prices which are extortionate in Ireland).

plan is to retire home and live and work part-time at home and part-time in the states and another two countries.

Ireland simply does not have the opportunities that abound in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

I would say no. In the 80s I did all the usuals (Germany, NYC, Oz). Unless its a one way ticket and you intend to burn your boat so to speak. otherwise you lose time and options. Use your 20s here to bed down into a work mode and by 30 you can start coasting and living better. As for the rain do what the sensible do and take your main holiday over Xmas /New Year and jet off to sun to break the back of the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The danger of staying is that you become more and more afraid of going. And your view of things will get narrower and narrower. And then you'll never go, and you'll regret it.

There is no downside at your age. Set aside 5 years to travel, work abroad, live. You can easily build up your career abroad. Travel is cheap, the Internet made communication and commerce easy. Just go. If it doesn't work out, you'll still have a wealth of experience that you'll never get at home.

I travelled to and worked in a few different countries. And met some great people. And I'm a big dumb ass. These are the happiest memories in my life.

(Edit) You have a German degree. You'd be mad not to travel and work in your chosen field in a German speaking area.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

What's the point of studying to get a German degree and then not actually use is?

If you can speak German, then why not make a move?

The German speaking world is really good to live in (Source: I've lived in it for a good while).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Go. I moved to Germany last year. It's a great country. The trains can be a bit frustrating because they're always late, but you can reach anywhere in Europe on them. I went to Amsterdam on a day trip last weekend.

the older you get, the less likely you'll move. You can come here, or elsewhere, travel a bit, save some money and them move home later. You'll save more because rent etc is so much less here. So it actually increases your chances of being able to buy a permanent place back in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Go, now!, what are you waiting for, don't even pack a bag!

Travelling gives you some perspective so it's well worth leaving home and living somewhere else even if its only for a few years. Think of it as an extension of your education, the experience and life skills you will learn should add to your earning potential in the long term

The people who go straight from school into a job and then work for the rest of their life, may earn more money by x age because they started earlier, but life is for living, not just a competition to see who's house is bigger on the day of their funeral

See my degree is in law so it's probably not useful at all in Germany, but sure I could easily go work for a fee months as a waitress or doing TEFL or something.

The appeal of Oz and Canada are mostly because I know people there but I could always take the plunge and go to Germany regardless and return if I really hate it. I really do want to use my German. Frankly, my standard of German is quite low and if I ever want to use it professionally, I'd need to head abroad for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

TEFL is a four letter word for poverty. Its always tarted up as a "way to see the world"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Travel and live in other places. Your 50-year self will thank you. I left straight from college and lived in several countries for 16 years but am home now. My experiences abroad have only been a positive in my life and made me appreciate Ireland all the more when I returned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

A law office that does international law? ECB, one of the other EU Institutions etc. There's loads of places where someone can combine German and law.

And this is not meant as a slight against you, but it speaks loads for the Irish education system when you can get a degree in a language and still have a low standard.

Also, you mentioned that your friends are already going their separate ways, those in Australia or Canada also probably have different priorities at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,915 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

For gods sakes go. You will always regret the things you don't do.

I wish I stayed at home and worked in that company for 40 years straight and went nowhere and experienced anything new said no intelligent person ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The trick there is to stay relatively local. Gemany would work in terms of being only a two-hour flight from home and you can get back for a week every few months or so and enjoy the bits you miss once in a while.

That said, your post is more about what you don't like in Ireland - you should think about what you're looking for when you move. Weather? Summers are nice but winters are just as bad in Ireland. Social life isn't any easier if you move to a business city and that'll just drive you up the wall even more. Finding a place to rent in Berlin takes ages - there's an accomodation crisis here, too. But you can try it - come for a month or two and then decide. And again, doesn't have to be permanent.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭ratracer

If I could tell my 23 year old self what to do after college, it would be to take the brave step and go travel/ work abroad for a few years.

I chickened out of it at the time, even when my mates still went, and although my career is great here, I still harbour regrets of not travelling when I had the opportunity. It’s something I’ve been encouraging my kids to do since they started secondary school. It’s a big world, go see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

A Law degree is hugely transferable, particularly with a foreign language. I work in corporate comms & public affairs and there are probably more Law degrees in the office than any other type.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,783 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Just as Dublin is out of your reach here, it is likely that Berlin, London, Sydney and many more big cities will be as well. Housing crises everywhere these days. If you have a good standard of accommodation here, you would need to consider what you could afford abroad.

https://assemblepapers.com.au/2022/03/08/behind-the-great-housing-crisis-of-berlin/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I started work in Dublin 3 days after my final college exam and have been at it pretty much ever since bar an enforced 6 month stint in the UK during the recession where I made more per month than I ever have before or since despite having to commute home every weekend as my daughter was only a toddler at the time. Not travelling more before I settled down is the great regret of my life so I'd say go for it OP. The world's a big place and there's no expiry date on your Irish citizenship, you can always come home if/when you miss it.

Post edited by Sleepy on

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SVI40

1000% go. 57 now, and one of the biggest regrets I have is that I didn't have the balls to travel when I was younger.

Thanks guys. I feel pretty motivated now after these responses.

I do think I will regret it. Frankly, I'm still upset over my college cancelling my Erasmus back in 2020. I've always wanted to travel. The more sensible part of my brain is saying "no go and get your real job now, so much could go wrong, 30 year old you will thank you etc". But a year or 2 out won't kill me. And people who didn't travel do seem to regret it. My parents are well off but seem to really regret not traveling. Both finished college at my age and landed their current jobs soon after in the late-90s and that's them.

It's easier to think "those 6 months in Germany were awful" than wonder what could've happened 20 years on, I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

fcuk that, go for it, i would probably the best experience you ll ever have, lifes too short, its gonna take years to sort out our mess anyway....

Advertisement