Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bo Jack 35

Help!!! I was offered my existing department on the interdepartmental. Rang PAS to say thanks but no thanks I’ll wait for the open. They told me if I turn this down I’m off both!?!? Is this true? I know people who have done this

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Poolbabe

If you turn down an offer that's it. U would have to apply again

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JT2000

If you are offered an EO role in open competition in a department you really do not want, do you have any right of appeal?

How do PAS allocate successful candidates to departments? If someone has loads of previous experience in Finance can you expect to be sent to Finance, Revenue, or Enterprise maybe? Or is it just luck of the draw... next up, next vacancy....

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭furrybones

In short, no, you don't have a right to appeal. That's the nature of the competition. You don't even find out where you're going until you're assigned a department. Previous experience is also irrelevant.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

If you turn down an offer you are taken off the panel.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Advertisement

Wow that's tough. And kinda wasteful of PAS. If they've got a candidate with knowledge, qualifications and experience in a certain field and deploy them somewhere completely unrelated. Is there any explanation or oversight or understanding of how they decide?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TommyShelby

Agree with this comment 100%......I can't understand why they don't try and match people for roles that they would be suitably qualified for and have experience in.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 lorness

@Maripepe some areas you can do blended, it's usually 2 days from home and 3 in the office. It really depends on the area you will be assigned to. It might be possible in finance, hr but not in the likes of PEMS. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

I also got told they are working through a backlog. No time line given, I'm currently waiting 9 weeks. Still on C.O pay, year 1 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭OKDublin

I would have thought:

A) You COULD turn down internal offer and wait for the open as it is a completely separate competition

B) Accept the EO in your current dept and then accept another EO role on the open

OR can you accept EO in your current role and immediately go on mobility? You probably have to stay two years in the EO role but maybe not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 agbrent

Completely agree. It just seems so wasteful to not want to put relevant skills and experience people have built up to use. Surely the civil service overall would be better for that. In other public service job panels people when posts come up candidates get to bid on them and then allocated according to OOM. I'm sure that system isn't perfect either, but at least that way you might ensure candidates have a bit of motivation for/interest in the role. Kind of fascinated that the civil service might be a big body of workers in which an unknown proportion are mis-matched in their jobs. I was hoping for one department aligned to my education and career history, and expressed a preference to PAS but have been assigned to a (very) different one. It also seems fairly bonkers I couldn't find out what the actual role was before accepting it or not. Is that the same for everyone? I'm going to accept it anyway because my current job is basically a zero hours contract. Fingers crossed for a good team and manager which always help, eh?!

Has anyone ever asked PAS how they arrive at their allocation decisions? I find them a bit difficult to deal with. I don't think they like being questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 coolf

I am currently in AGS and no WFH, depends on the office, if it was shift work he would be told so. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Coole-kid21

Anyone know how the longford panel is going

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭DM_2092

Hi Folks,

I've my interview tomorrow & have two examples lined up for each competency. I've also had a look at the renewal plan. Anything else you think I should consider going over last minute?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭westhamlady

Can I ask what county and Oom you are please

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭CW2022

New competition opening for Dublin on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Inmate2020

Just spotted that .. so does that mean they have cleared the current Dublin one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 user1250

Hi 🙂

I’m currently going through reference check etc does that mean once the nee competition opens if I haven’t been place I’m off the panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

I'm fairly certain the Dublin panel will be exhausted before a new panel forms. Even with a competition opening on Friday, it'll be at least 3 months before a panel is formed. Probably 3 weeks to submit applications, then at least a week before aptitude test window which will be another week. At least a fortnight before results are announced and the probably 2 weeks notice of interview dates. The interviews probably go on for 2 to 3 weeks and then another couple of weeks before results are released. And all the above are conservative estimates, each stage could take longer.

• Advertisement

If you're going through reference checks you are most likely being considered for a position. You will be placed from the panel before it ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Where did you see this about a new EO competition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Sunshine_21

I see there is a new EO competition starting for Dublin. Does anyone know or think that if you were to get through all stages of the competition would there be any option of changing county or letting your own HR dept know you made panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 molly1523

No if it’s for Dublin, jobs will only be offered for dublin if successful. You would have to accept it and wait for mobility if you wanted to move county’s from that job.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Sunshine_21

Thanks for the reply. It was wishful thinking on my part. I'm currently waiting to be called for interview, it's just a long process for people outside Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Way too long 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 37 VanBer

Does anyone know if COs have blended working in the Dept.Of Education? If so, how many days WFH? Also, is it straight away or do you have to see out your full 1 years probation to get it? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

I'm gonna apply for the new competition tomorrow, does anyone know if my Level 5 PLC will be accepted? It is in office administration and I have 8 distinctions.

I got 4 H4s and up in my LC but the other 3 are H5 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mr lebowski

I had a level 5 FETAC course that qualified me. I was unsure and nervous about it but it was approved and I got the go ahead thankfully. So if that's the same level as that yours you will be fine.

Advertisement