Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Q lite

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Sky Q lite seems to be basically the old Freesat from Sky with Sky broadband attached. So you are basically paying £5pm for what…a Sky Q box? I’m not sure that’s good value for money though you are probably saving quite a bit in year one on installation plus equipment costs.

Sky Glass has been announced as coming and has been discussed quite a bit around here. The litmus test for Irish users will be the absence of recording and access to Manual Tuning. These aren’t issues for U.K. users (who have access to catch-up services for BBC/ITV) and might be barriers to adoption here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

If the Irish SkyQ lite had the RTE/TV3/TG4 channels in HD plus BBC/CH4 in HD and recording/series link for €5 , even if you have to take Sky Broadband, it would be a great seller I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Schorpio

It would be interesting if the 'Lite' service entered into the Irish market.

I know of so many people who have subscribed to Sky's basic package for 10/15 years. Most seem to have been hooked in when Sky+ came about, and there wasn't the same landscape of free UK TV stations. The value proposition of the cheapest of Sky's packages have very much been eroded over the years, but I'd wager there are loads of people still paying it - either through ignorance, inertia, or the need to install an aerial to get the Irish channels. If there was a 'Sky Lite' which included the Irish channels, I could foresee lots of existing Sky customers downgrading, but can I see it attracting new sign-ups? Not sure.

As icdg said, for an informed consumer there isn't really a lot of value to it. You're essentially paying Sky to rent a Q box, which you don't own at the end of the 18 months.

I would see SkyQ lite being what Saorview Connect should have been, a box with series link recording, 7 day epg with all Irish and UK channels ( I know ITV won't be on it , if it launches in ROI ) on one list and presumably Virgin 1,2 and TG4 in HD, which of course they are not on Saorview. For let's say they go with €10 a month in ROI it would be great value I think, even with Sky broadband being compulsory, almost everyone needs broadband anyway, so it's not a deal breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Sky q lite now live on irish site. 29 euro for BB plus 10 euro for sqlite. No mention of rte being included just 100fta channels. Not available to order online you have to phone them probably so they can try and sell you the full package.

• Advertisement

Will be very interesting to see if it includes RTE and Virgin Media channels and in HD. If it does, will that mean an extra €10 for HD, bringing price to €49 per month ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I don't think they'd be allowed to charge extra on top of the sub for RTÉ and TG4 in HD. Virgin Media channels however are a different story.

Was in touch with Sky re Chat, you're correct, this Q Lite package includes the Irish channels, but only RTE 1&2 are in HD, TG4 and Virgin channels are in SD, same as Saorview, the rep said. However, they can be got in HD, if upgraded to the HD pack, normally €10, but open to negotiation for first time customers when signing up. So realistically, it's going to be €49 per month for broadband and Q Lite in HD.

That's very interesting - it means that there is decryption still active on the Sky Q box, unlike the UK counterpart.

Honestly, it's not that bad value. I would never advocate for it over a free TV option, but that said, I'm currently paying €35 for broadband only. At €39/month (with the 'free' prepaid €50 Mastercard sign-up offer), there's little difference over the course of 12 months.

I would still recommend people looking to switch put up an aerial and get some non-proprietary equipment, but downgrading to the lite package is an alright, less-hassle option (for 1 year at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Are the full set of Freesat Channells including the ITVs on sky Q lite [irish version] ?

• Advertisement

I didn't ask, but I think it's fair to say, there is no chance of the ITV channels being on SkyQ Lite, Virgin would blow a gasket and object. Rep did mention BBC 1 & 2 and CH4 being on it.

Other posters on boards and Digital Spy now reporting that Virgin Media 1 & 2 are now HD on 103 and 105 on Sky by default, since today. So HD sub no longer required or is it a mistake ,? Or is it anything to do with making them HD by default for SkyQ Lite ?

My Contract is up next month and i am defo leaving but the Sky Q lite peaked my interest but witout the full british freesat channels it not worth it.

I have being pric@ing about with my LG tv but i can only get the sat tuner working and not the installed freesat so i think i will bite the bullet and buy an Engima box

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

The country tuning must be set to UK for the Freesat satellite option. Otherwise it will scan everything and you will be left with hundreds of channels in no particular order & loads of duplicates. It is also possible that your LG tv doesn't have Freesat. Do you know your TV model number?

I reset the TV to Services and location to UK and used a Crossmaglen postcode. All the Freesat channels came up but each channell said invalid service.

I switched back to Irish setting and was able to get all the british chanells on the sat tuner but they are all over the place and a lot of patenice is needed to put them in the order i want

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

I'm in Louth and put in a London post code and it worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Akula

Anybody able to find out what channels there are?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lenovo1

Seems like there is a channel list here...

Do we have any idea what the standard price will be? I presume I can't drop down to this level when m contract runs out. 12 month deals are great but I would like something sustainable.

Changed to Belfast postcode works perfect now thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Tango One

Really interesting offer was about to ditch VM pay Tv and start using my zgemma. Little put off the zgemma it not as polished as pay tv which I would be fine with but think it might drive the family crazy. I've just gone live with eir ftth so can get a good connection via sky. 39 quid v 116 I'm paying VM seems a good move.

I have a unicable LNB installed will I lose this with the sky q box? and receive some sort of hybrid wideband / legacy LNB from sky if I ask?

• Advertisement

Honestly, if you already have a Zgemma, I would absolutely give it a go first. It can do everything Sky Q can, and more. I can also be as polished as a Sky setup (remote excepted!). Stick on one of the Sky skins, set up a favourites list, and let ABM creat default channel lists for the full set of Sky and Saorview channels. Over 450 quid a year saved!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Tango One

I have the Sky skin it grand, it not as easy to use as say Sky or VM never had a sky Q wondered how good it is, It the family might not find it that user friendly is my worry

No, it's a fair point, and I was being slightly flippant with the 'savings' figure, as you're presumably going to have to pay for broadband anyway.

The Sky interface is very slick - there's no denying that, and the lite package isn't a bad option to be fair. I'm just a fan of zgemma (enigma2) boxes and the customization/flexibility they provide. I also like the ability to curate my channel lists, and look at channels I would otherwise not be offered on Sky (itv 1 for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Does this require a dish?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Does sky Q lite leave the channels you don't subscribe to on the EPG. Is it the same as when you use a sky box for for free to air.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lenovo1

I currently have regular sky Q, essentials pack or something like this. Also have sky broadband.

Will I be able to switch to Sky Q Lite when my contact ends in 2 months?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That’s standard with Sky - the EPG shows channels which have paid for an ROI entry,, not just those you are subscribed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Then what is the benefit of sky q Lite. Can you record using it.

• Advertisement

You can and it gives you RTÉ, Virgin channels and TG4 in HD.

Advertisement