Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sex Pistols

Options
  • 10-05-2022 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭

I know this isn't the music forum, but I think this band generates alot of intrigue. A TV series coming out, and in fitting fashion, controversial with Johnny Rotten trying to block it. It should make for a fascinating watch, this band was unlike any other, in terms of insanity, a pure car crash from start to finish, which blew up completely.

We see many American rock bands over the years, try and portray how mad they were, hard partiers, but these guys were actually the real deal, never has so much carnage followed a band. Banned in UK, banned on the airwaves, hated by the establishment, left for America in disgrace, where their tour generally included unfinished gigs, Sid Vicious attacking the crowd, the crowd attacking them, the tour blowing up, Sid subsequently going completely off the rails as everyone knows.

Ironically their album, over time, was very progressive in its topics, and the more time that passes, continues to be relevant. This band was a joy to watch from the outside looking in, they turned a country in protest of the establishment, and went out with a bang

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fallout2022

In terms of progressive topics one of their big songs was anti royalty/monarchy. One song had an anti abortion tilt to it, would be seen by many as regressive. Beyond that they weren't political as bands like The Clash.

Sid's epithet had been given to him almost sarcastically because he was a gentle soul.

Then he started trying to live up to it. Nancy and his mother were two unhealthy individuals in his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Bodies was ironic, like God Save The Queen. Ahead of its time. Give it a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

They've got nothing on Butthole Surfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Can't sing, can't dance. You'll go a long way.

One of the most overrated bands ever. Jasus John Lydon ended up doing TV ads butter. Talk about selling out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭buried

Public Image Ltd were a far better band

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement

Never Mind The Bollocks had a huge effect on UK music, even though The Damned released the first punk single, and the Buzzcocks were more musically adept.

PIL and the Butthole Surfers aren't really relevant as they came so much later.

Yes, Sid was a car crash, and less than relevant musically. Yes, Malcolm was an abhorrent person.

Nevertheless, the pistols were a seismic force in both music and culture at the time and paved the way for an explosion of new bands and a youth culture that refused to kowtow to conservative norms.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You mean the dammed released the first UK punk single right? Punk was going for a few years in the US before the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 20,887 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Rock'n'Roll. Teddy Boys. Mods and Rockers. The Beatles. Flower Power. Glam Rock. Prog Rock. Bay City Rollers. Punk. Disco. New Romantics. Girl Bands. Boy Bands. Maybe not in that order, but whatever teenagers are into in their own generation. They all turn into their fathers and mothers in the end. Including the Hippies, Punks and Goths.

Their teen idols who did not die before they got old, continue as entertainers decades later, same as Sinatra and Crosby before them.

The Bay City Rollers. Only the band the Sex Pistols could have been.

Fads come and go, but nothing has come close to the mayhem that ensued in the wake of the Pistols. A whirlwind of carnage, never seen before or since

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Punk was happening and Malcolm McClaren made it seem like they invented it. The Rollings Stones had more influence on the American punk scene than the Pistols. The Clash were art students going with the current style.

Punk originally meant DIY and then became quite ridged by within a few years. American punck was much more fun but UK European punk was violent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

They should never have forced Glen Matlock out of the band.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭LeBash

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

• Registered Users Posts: 25,093 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

one single studio album and about 10 compilation albums of live gigs, bsides, soundtracks etc…

I bought never mind the bollocks in 1996… the same summer I was buying old records by some of their contemporaries like..

The Clash, Buzzcocks and Magazine…who were all vastly superior bands…in terms of songwriters, songs and musicians and with the likes of Joe Strummer, icons…

Pistols …a handful of good songs on a decent record, a real good guitarist in Steve Jones, Glen could play Rotten had presence and attitude but nothing else…

their currency was controversy because their body of work didn’t stand up and subsequently they didn’t stand the test of time..

People are arguing if they were the first punk band, who cares? They transcend that, and entered popular culture on a far bigger scale. They were the rallying voice against the established order which took hold, they were the calling card, reference point, for a disencanted youth, they were the force who created an explosion of bands who followed. They defined a moment in time, in history. They rose and they crashed and burned in spectacular fashion. But they made a mark, which many would argue, changed attitudes in the British psyche forever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭trashcan

I would agree. Their importance is much more cultural than musical. As you say, the Clash and Buzzcocks were much better bands, but arguably may not have existed without the Pistols. GSTQ is fun, but ultimately not much of a song. Pretty vacant is ok, but other than that I don’t think they had much to offer. They did give others the impetus to get bands together though.

oh, and John Lyndon seems to have eaten substantial quantities of that butter he was promoting based on his size the last time I saw him.

It’s true, I think I remember Strummer saying that he broke up the 101ers on seeing the Pistols and that was the catalyst to him forming the Clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Like saying the Beatles were the same as The Monkees who care?

Like Nirvana over rated and history inflated their importance. As you get older you notice the journalists write history as they record it. The new media might change it but that is easily mislead too.

I met many "punks" back in the day and the people who acted like Lydon's image were just a holes. It isn't fun our in anyway meaningful. Lydon has been helping trouble children for years but is still an a hole publicly.

It is the music business and that should never be ignored

Of course. That's why I specified the UK in my first sentence. US punk was a very different animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Yes the established hated him... maybe this is why...

When is the prog on i like to see it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Lydon is slowly morphing into a slug. I recall him being on a panel with Marky Ramone, Duff and Rollins. Embarrassing stuff, the rest of the panel were left mortified. Someone should have clocked him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I think Lydon is/was a great lyricist and frontman.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

they are a poor mans Throbbing Gristle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

The Sex pistols need to be only looked at over the period from 76 to 78. Anything they did after that as a group or individuals dilutes what they were during that short productive period. They were lucky to be the right people at the exact right time producing a sound that people wanted to hear and surrounded by people clued in enough to make it happen. Their influence on so many bands is massive.

That said – I do find Never Mind the Bollocks a bit hard to listen to these days. It has not aged well to my over aged ears. 

I’m not all that familiar with PiL but his work with the pistols was limited as in terms of creative output.

i love the anger and energy of Anarchy In The UK but if you examine the lyrical value. Hmmm.. Pretty vacant the same…

He couldn’t touch Strummer or Howard Devoto as a lyricist….

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i'm going to see him in the stadium in june , cant wait! very underrated musician

considering pil have been consistantly good for 40 years i think john has something else

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Which reminds me of the two punks having sex, with punk music playing in the background.

The girl says: "Is that Johnny Rotten".

The guy replies: "Nah, I've only used it twice".

• Advertisement

look at the roster of musicians and songwriters that pil had.. an example being Jan Wobble, a bass great.

every song practically on their more successful albums was written by committee… credited to three and four songwriters.

Advertisement