Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social housing tenants now allowed to take in Ukranian refugees

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Realistically it's not going to happen though.

Most bills are fixed no matter how many are in the house. 2 people sitting in a room use the same heat as 1. Same with electricity.

The actual increase in electricity bills etc will be negligible.

And food? Why would food be included? The Ukrainians are getting dole. If dole isn't enough to cover food, then how does anyone survive on dole? If the Ukrainians food is being paid for by the host, they are going to give money to the host for that.

The figures just don't add up. I house share. Even if I paid all bills by myself that's being used by 4, it doesn't even hit 400 euro a month. That's gas, internet and electricity. Even with the current high prices it doesn't hit that. 120 euro a month for oil. 150 a month for electricity and 60 a month for internet. 330 a month for all bills. 70 euro a week would be loads for food. So 400 euro would cover me for all my food AND all the bills for me and 3 others in a house.

And now people are saying an extra person living in the house needs 400 euro a month to cover the increase in costs? Does not make sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Absolutely…. 100%. Are there people in this scenarios say a guy or girl on their own in a two bedroom house or apartment .. weird…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Wouldnt surprise me if it is used to gather data on under occupied social property for action at a later date should the political climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭DFB-D

To be fair, I agree 400 a month is much less than the cost of any other provision of accommodation.

It possibly should be extended to the Irish HAP market, but I think we would have massive amounts of sons, daughters, and whatever trying to claim they rent next door, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Whether allowed or not (I'm not sure), social tenants with rooms to spare could take in lodgers. Who would know? Maybe HAP or something would find out. I don't know what the position might be regarding SW/DSP payments though.

Letting out a room or two in places like Dublin would be far more lucrative surely? I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell me otherwise! The point made above is a good one.... if they can take in refugees, the property is too big for their needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Where did you pull those figures from?

There are people in council houses paying that much a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭toyotatommy

We are metropolitan it’s social houses now. Those figures are fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The councils already have the data. I've personally developed under-occupancy reports for a couple of Irish councils in my professional life.

What's missing is the legislation to enable councils to utilise their social housing stock efficiently. Tenants in under-occupied properties can be offered incentives to move to more appropriate accommodation but they're under no obligation to do so and most have no interest in leaving the four bed semi they raised their family in even when offered brand new, fully fitted out apartments that would save them a fortune in electric and heating bills.

Now that would be a GDPR breach.

You can only keep data in relation to the reason collected, they can not transfer that data for another reason.

I would love to know where all these 1 and 2 bed social houses, suitable for 50+ people are going to come from.

The reason people have extra rooms is because kids have moved out but it is not like there is a stock of vacant smaller houses just sitting there for people to move to...

Advertisement