Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving without an Nct for 5 months

Options
  • 08-05-2022 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Due to the backlog on NCT testing i wont have an NCT for 5 months, should the car be left off the road or what is allowed?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

You insured without it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

checked my insurance cert and it says "and where necessary, has a valid NCT certificate"

and "including a valid NCT where required by law"

Dundalk, Co. Louth

My view is that you'd generally have an accomodating gaurd.

Show the fact you can't get a booking and they'd wave you on.

Having dealt with an insurance company in 2019 for a claim I believe they would go out of their way to avoid paying for anything and would be happy out to shaft you completely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Why wont you have an NCT for 5 months?

At midnight every night the NCT booking system is reset. Log on and book your appointment. I did it last week for 2 cars when they were trying to tell me the closest date was months away and in a test centre 2 hours away.

Logged on just after midnight and got a test for a couple of weeks time in my local place.

from NCT site:

The National Car Testing Service (NCTS) has now updated all records for those customers’ vehicles that qualified for the 4 month test extension as announced by the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, Mr Shane Ross in April. A vehicle with a test due date on or after 28th March 2020 has now had their test date extended by 4 months, see example below 

Original NCT Expiry Date

New NCT Test Due Date

28th March 2020

28th July 2020

10th May 2020

10th September 2020

15th October 2020*

15th February 2021

*Cars first registered on or after 1st August 2016 are not eligible for the 4 month extension.

Customers should note this change and are encouraged to check their new test due date on the Check NCT Due Date section on the NCTS website before booking their test.

NCTS are reminding customers that if they book a test that is more than 90 days earlier than the test due date, the test will be a voluntary early test and the NCT certificate issued will be valid for 1 or 2 years (depending on the age of the vehicle) from the date of the successful test. NCTS are asking customers to note carefully the website messages they receive throughout the course of the booking process.

----

has this been phased out? It would be a risk with insurance company trying anything to get out of paying out

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement

i didnt know about this glich so booked it for october, they'd probably charge me to change

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You will have the confirmation of booking on your phone to prove the car is booked in.

Yes so only the invalidation of the insurance to worry about

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You'll need to contact the insurance company to get clarification on that.

Maybe you could phone NCT booking and try to get bumped up the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,260 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Ring the NCT or log onto there site at around 11pm at night and you should get a date for the next few weeks or even sooner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dil87

Drive on. Mine is out since end of Jan and closest date I could get is next week, once it's booked drive away.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

They don't charge to change dates. I did it last time around. Couldn't get a booking at first, for the date I needed. Made a booking for the nearest date to it, checked the NCT site every so often and changed the booking to a suitable date, no bother at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I can't understand why it's taking 5 months 🤔 the extension to certs was due to covid delays , I thought those extensions had long been phased out 🤔

I also think regardless of a booking confirmation, the insurance situation may tricky 🤔

I got mine last done Oct 2021, due date was 31st December, had an appointment in less than a week.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Why do the authorities never learn when introducing additional regulation and not providing adequate resources to process them?

I am old enough to remember the 'cowboy' provisional licence upgrades to full, that were dished out in the 1970's to deal with an uncontrolled backlog for tests. At the time we were told it would never happen again and decades later we are back to long delays in getting driving tests scheduled .... they would probably go for the cowboy approach again,, except we were a laughing stock around the world because of it. I remember hiring a car in Europe around the time and they checked how long my licence had been issued... in case I was a cowboy licence holder.

The NCT is the same... introduce a critical test that has knock on effects on other aspects, such as Insurance and then when the system screws up through lack of resources, take the standard Irish blind eye approach and hope not too much sh1t hits the fan while we muddle our way out of the backlog.#

I feel sorry for anyone caught up in the NCT mess, it seems like you will be taking any risk that is going while no one will be too concerned about why the system can't cope.

went in just now and the best the site offers is 4 months away, ill check after midnight

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Do, and if you still can't get a suitable date, give them a call tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭User1998

Just call them tomorrow and you’ll get a date within a couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I got a letter last month nct was due in December and forgot and logged into their site and got a vacant spot 1 1/2 days later. So get onto their site and check available slots in the locations near you . I was lucky and have another car to go in also but needs some work done first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

No worries, now ya know 🙂

No charge to change. Go on and book it at midnight tonight and just cancel the other one. Should be a place to change or cancel booking on the NCT site

Sute the NCT came in 20 years ago. Never been issue before covid. As above plenty cancellations to be had. Just needs a few calls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

People saying drive on must come across some nice Gardaí. I must always meet the ones having a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I logged on around 7am and got a date for 6 days later

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Not hard to see what the common denominator is here.

So you think you can just drive around for 5 months without a NCT. Where as me with a full legal windscreen and always will but just because you look like a guy who works in a bank or something so it's alright to not be legal cause the Gardaí will bend over backwards for you.

I'm just giving my honest opinion of my dealing with the Gardaí. I have never come across a nice one ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Lots of assumptions there. It's not me without the NCT btw.

Great reply. Reply with a post that contradicts the reply you made to me first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭cena

Ring the nct they well put you on a list get you asap

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Dollar Thief

I rang up and the girl gave me an appointment a few weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Its not a glitch and there's no charge for advance cancellation

People cancel for all sorts of reasons, the cancellations are updated daily when the system refreshes at midnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rxchxy

My NCT was up last Friday, only realised on the Monday before. Stay logged in on the NCT booking page and just keep refreshing it - that's what I did and I got one for the Tuesday night

Advertisement