Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posts deleted. No notification. No warnings.

Options
  • 08-05-2022 12:43am

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

A post of mine that I made last night, in response to another poster (@goldenmick) was deleted as was the post of his that I was responding to. I can understand why both posts were deleted, as it was a to-and-fro over some remarks of his. Grand. I understood why both posts were deleted.

However. Today, that poster put up another post with a very similar theme directed at another poster. It contained the same attempt to shutdown opinions, was aggressive, and borderline abusive in nature. I reported it. And then, a few hours later, after that same poster (@goldenmick) put up another post #2497, deflecting but reinforcing his position. I responded with a very short (for me) post pointing out the logical fallacies in his own post, and drawing attention to his deflections, and projections of emotions on to another poster.

My post was deleted. His post was not.

WTF? Firstly, there was nothing abusive or offensive in my own post. There were no insults. Hell, there was extremely little sarcasm in the post. There was no reason to delete it, unless... the aim was to keep the thread moving, in which case, the posts by @goldenmick would also be deleted. They weren't. Considering that the content and manner of his posts have not changed... I would say he wasn't warned either.

I flag/report a post for being aggressive and... my rather soft response to it was deleted, but his is not..

So.. what's going on? I'm not trying to be a dick here, but I seriously do not understand what the hell is going on.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,800 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hi.

I have found the post you refer to. Normally, if you have a problem with a moderator’s decision, the Charter instructs that you PM them directly and see if it can be resolved that way. I have contacted the mod in question on your behalf just to make them aware of this thread, in absence of an automated reporting system that is limited at the moment.

-Shield

Thanks Shield. If I had known which mod had intervened I would have pm'd them directly, however, without a message being received I didn't want to pm Beasty out of the blue

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The situations were very different

I acted against the earlier posts which were very personal. You replied to a post I considered went way too far and there was no point deleting that post without deleing any replies. I am not going into any further action that may have been taken against another user beyond stating the post was deleted

The more recent post by the other poster was very different to the one that had been previously actioned. I did not see an issue with it. You made it personal again when you responded and we received reports that Ten of Swords acted on by deleting the post

Just to add - I am a mod of CA and if you have any issues with moderation there I have no problem with being PM'd. If it's something Ten of Swords has dealt with it's easy to point a poster in that direction

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,915 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Happy to discuss via PM

The more recent post by the other poster was very different to the one that had been previously actioned. I did not see an issue with it. You made it personal again when you responded and we received reports that Ten of Swords acted on by deleting the post

I don't see the more recent post as being very different. It followed the exact same theme. Tell others not to post their opinions on boards but to direct them elsewhere, the reference to "those of his ilk" *(which is intended by any poster to be offensive), and the aggressive posting of projecting the assumption that a poster is "angry" even though the actual post in question is lacking any emotional outbursts. Almost exactly the same approach which I objected to when it was directed at me, which led to the previous two posts being deleted.

My own post made no personal references, that I can recall. Yes, I'm very sarcastic when I get annoyed, but I do try rather hard to avoid insulting posters. Could you tell me what I said that was considered to be so personal?

I'd also like to understand why the post by @goldenmick wasn't considered grounds for warning/removal, but mine was. Perhaps I'm not understanding what is grounds for offensive/aggressive behaviour, and it would be good to find where I'm going wrong. TBH I've been feeling a bit confused over the last few months about the moderation of posts, and what is considered to be grounds for warnings. That's not intended as a dig of any kind. I'm the user, you're the mods.. and I'm here to comply with the rules.. but I'm not really sure anymore where the practical borders are.

Just to add - I am a mod of CA and if you have any issues with moderation there I have no problem with being PM'd. If it's something Ten of Swords has dealt with it's easy to point a poster in that direction

Will do, however there was no trail when the post was deleted. No messages, and no notification within the thread. Just poof. Gone.

However, I'll pm directly the next time.

@Ten of Swords @Beasty Since this relates to both of you, I wrote the above here, as I'm not exactly sure who I should be directing my queries to. From my understanding, Beasty made the judgment call, and Ten of Swords deleted the post itself.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Let me keep this brief

Your post was deleted because the post it quoted was unacceptable

The second post you refer to was not considered unacceptable. Your reply to it was and was deleted (no further action, just deleted)

That really is all there is to it. It's moderation that results from relevant poste being reported

Advertisement