Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Inflation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Indestructable

I've been hearing that a lot too. Homeowners with mortgages have had it relatively good for the past while. When the ECB start increasing the interest rates that'll change.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭squigglestrebor

People on here are gas , coffee shops , restaurants pubs are packed and continue to be employment and salaries have bee the the highest theyve ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭enricoh

A mate is a chippie by trade, he'd do extensions start to finish too. He's quiet with extensions as most people won't pay the prices now. He's flat out doing carpentry as people are sprucing up by changing all the internal doors, adding storage etc.

Only thing I have cut back on is the barber went from 12 to 17.50 after covid, the missus' does mine n young lads now- it'd be the guts of 30 quid in the barbers.

Some of the restaurants n takeaways nearby have gone too pricey so I just go to ones that are reasonable, I know costs have gone up but I'm not paying 50% extra!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

A 1% rise in ECB interest rate will reduce people's borrowing power by 100K.

I can see a lot of cutting back on useless ****.

Donedeal will have a lot of horsebox coffee stations for sale.

The best way to live is ... owe nothing to nobody never. That way, interest rate changes mean nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Barbers going to 17.50

My Wahl clippers is still costing me zero every month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Bought a new car in 2019 for €25.5k, dealer was onto me last month to replace with the same car and spec is now €34k, I’ll pass and run the car I have until the wheels fall of.

It's a pity getting a motorcycle licence is so expensive and a time-consuming a nice little 125 would be perfect for commuting for most people and the benefit is they are fairly simple to maintain and super fuel efficient mine for example with its 15 l tank gets roughly 500 km but I'm sure there are ones that are even more fuel efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭jackboy

Actually surprised they are not encouraged more, especially in urban areas. Huge savings in parking, traffic and pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭combat14

exactly prices of hotels in dublin now are bordering on the insane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭enricoh

You don't need a ibt for up to 125cc iirc. When I got my first bike I must have had 101 people tell me death traps, yer a lunatic etc. Up north, it's a rite of passage getting a bike. My sister bought a horse n everyone told her how great it was n she had a broken leg 4 weeks later!

I'm amazed there isn't more around Dublin especially.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I've seen the same about restaurants and pubs, really busy. Maybe it takes time for these hikes to kick in, but they will. Of course, poverty is always invisible. You won't see the people who aren't out and about.

About stagflation though, it was a thing in the 1970's if I remember correctly from my school Economics lessons? And after such cheap credit to boost the economy post-2008, what could happen next? It seems like we are entering a new global era to me, but I don't know a tuppence about global economics (apologies to my secondary school teacher).

Well thats true to be fair , you dont see the people not out. I just dont see anybody around me struggling with it yet , thankfully! Who knows what way its going to go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I used to go to the chipper twice a week at least. Delivery the odd night.

The prices are gone mad and I refuse to go there as often anymore. Before the pandemic I could get a spice bag for a fiver. A euro for extra chicken. Now? It's 7 euro for standard and 8 euro with extra chicken. Delivery is gone from I think 1.80 to 3 euro. So something that would have cost me 13.80 delivered now costs 19. Far too much. Portions aren't as big either!

The other chipper I used to get a good feed for 11 or 12 euro but now it's costing up 15 or 16 euro. A curry cheese chip is 6 euro! A chicken fillet burger is 6.30 and 3 onion rings are 3 euro. Five years ago, which I know is a long time ago, it cost 1.80 for 4 onion rings and they're the exact same ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭893bet

**** this thread would make you miserable to read it.

One thing I agree on is that the value proposition of eating out has for the most part gone. 2 courses with a bill of 80 quid. And too often you are disappointed with the food. Are pubs and restaurants still packed the whole time?

I was out there in feb on a stag in Galway and we (two of us, sober and in good trim) we’re turned away from places at 7 in the evening. Packed. Bouncer even let us look in the door and if we pressed he would have let us off I would say. **** heaving. Paid 10 or 15 into the quays later and stayed 5 mins. I mean it was literally 4 deep at the bar. There was nothing special on that weekend. Is it always like that?

I’m not struggling and don’t know, as yet, anyone who is. But I do now find some of the prices in cafes around me so stupid that I’m not going to pay them. I think that that penny will drop with different people at different times, but for sure that sentiment is only going one way

Yeah to be fair you are probably right , still feels very Boomy out there these days though. Irish households literally have more savings than they ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I cancelled Sky tv too. A no brainer, I’d say people are leaving in droves.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Would well believe that. Find myself getting take away coffee if I feel like one from the cheaper spots (stores and supermarkets) rather than Costa or the likes.

Must get the Nespresso going again!!

If I’m going to work from the cafe for two or three hours I might have had, in the past, a couple of coffees had a pastry. Now I’m just on one coffee. Looks just as busy from the outside looking in, but takings are halved

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The NASDAQ increased in value by 51% from March 2020 to today, that's including the latest falls. The DOW has increased by 53%. Extraordinary when you consider we went through a global pandemic at the time. Don't loose focus of the broader picture when talking about falls on the stock market over a period of a few weeks.

A lot of the stimulus used to deal with the pandemic all over the world has inflated stock exchanges and cryptocurrencies. A fall back was inevitable when the money tap was turned off and a lot of foolish hobby investors are about to be caught out badly. The markets have a lot further to fall yet, but it's important to keep in mind that the stock market isn't necessarily an accurate representation of the economy as a whole. Has the global economy grown by 53% in two years? Of course it hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It's next winter I think you see real concern and the struggle for real. Thats if prices etc stay samr or keep rising

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Checked a few there over the last couple of days. Definitely taking a foreign holiday this year.

I started cutting my own hair when the first lockdown happened. It has saved me a fortune, its quicker and I dont have to walk home with hair itching my neck and back. Dont know why I ever went to a barber in the first place. Dont think i'll ever be near one again.

One of the reasons we decided to look for a holiday abroad instead of the planned ones in Ireland this year us that I got an email from a hotel we were booked into for a few days in the summer to say they had cancelled our booking. Looked at other hotels but prices had all gone way up. So just cancelled the plans for the rest of the holiday in the other places and have been looking now for one in Spain or Italy. Definitely not going to ever book anything in Ireland for holiday again.

If they have any sense they will fix long term right now. You can get less than 2,5% for the life of the mortgage at the moment.

Its those getting new mortgages that are going to feel it, or the ones who dont fix now.

Its a strange situation. If you are an office worker you have probably spent the last 2 years working from home. Most people in that situation saved a fortune by cutting out all of the daily commute costs as well as lunches, drinks after work etc. Those people now have big savings accounts.

Lots of other people were forced out of work for 2 years and surviving on 350 a week or less. Those people will now be really struggling with this inflation already.

The boomy feeling is also probably because people are depressed after 2 years of Covid and just want to do things again, even if they can't afford to.

Difficult to predict where it goes but it will likely end in tears as costs spiral out of control.

How often would you get your hair cut? Id get mine once a month , so 20 quid, 240 a yr dont really see that as much of a saving whatsoever. Is your hair cut very basic at least? Like you are doing as good as job as the barber?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Most have been pulling down COVID supports up to now, those are gone now. The real cost of doing business is going to be felt now.

• Advertisement

Once a month for me. Takes me 5 minutes. That €240 saving will be every year while i have hair :)

Ive passed the age of vanity so my haircut looks as good to me as a barber haircut :)

Advertisement