Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to firhouse in tallaght

Options
  • 05-05-2022 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Im moving to firhouse in tallaght soon. Im currently living in Aylesbury tallaght and have to move closer to the mother in law as she provides free child care in firhouse, (tallaght) the kids schools, friends etc are all there.

I asked a firhouse resident was firhouse in tallaght recently and they nearly lost their cool with me, no its not they said. However, based on maps, looking at the history etc firhouse is in tallaght. Ive no problem when i move getting post delivered to, firhouse, tallaght.

Why do firhouse people not like admitting they are from tallafornia?tallaght is a great spot to live.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Not sure where you went wrong but Firhouse and Tallaght are two different areas, it isn't a case of people living in Firhouse not "admitting" they don't live in Tallaght, they actually don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Historically Firhouse was Tallaght. I've found many genealogical records which state that was so. However, in more modern times the residents managed to get this changed, and now I believe Firhouse, is just Firhouse, Dublin 24. One wonders why, and how?

In The History and Antiquities of Tallaght, County Dublin (published in the mid 19th century), George Domville Handcock refers to Firhouse as "a small dirty village, principally inhabited by stonebreakers".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I thought Firhouse is gone and they have themselves deluded they live in Knocklyon 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

It's in tallaght. Maybe d24w if they want to be posh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Left of the Ballycullen Road is D16. When you turn right you cross into Firhouse D24 and then when when cross the intersection at the Old Mill you cross into Tallaght D24.

Then again, if you can afford any decent house anywhere in Dublin you are doing a lot better than those who commute from Longford or Cavan every morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Postal areas mean feck all since D6W.

The general population see everywhere in D24 as Tallaght, the people in D24 don't. Its a bit like calling someone from the deep South of the USA a Yank, to Americans Yanks are from the North East.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Lots of estates with reputations got their names or locations changed back in the 80s. I lived in one. The estate had just one name first and then they divided it up into smaller areas and gave each their own name. Such as Lake shore view and daffodil court. The idea was that when people were looking for jobs and they gave their address there would be so many different area names like the new private developments popping up that the employers wouldnt see that they were from the rough estate and so give them a better chance of not being discriminated against.

Advertisement