Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice - car insurance claim

Options
  • 03-05-2022 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

Someone had hit my car and decided when I gave them the quotes that they're going through their insurance company to repair the damage to my effectively brand new car. They've been pushing to get the car repaired at a place where "they know the owner" but I gave them quotes from other garages in the area. Now we're on to the stage of getting the car repaired so I'm wondering what is the process from the other parties side given they're claiming on their insurance to pay. Do their insurance company need to send out an assessor to verify the costs and also what's the situation with sending the car in, hiring a replacement car for the duration of the repair (3 days min) and then reapply paint protection from my dealer? Any advice would be appreciated as I would like to get the car booked in asap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I would have expected that their insurance company should be in contact with you already in this case? If the other party is genuinely going through their insurance then that is the way it should go.

The last time I had a claim after an accident, the insurance company took care of everything and I did not speak once to the other person as soon as the process kicked off.

Find out who their insurance company is, get their claim reference number and call the insurance company yourself. This will give you an idea as to whether the other party is being genuine or not.

Post edited by Miscreant on

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Thanks for that. No contact from their insurance company so I'm going to ask her what the story is. It's a friend of my missus who hit the car so we're in contact regularly but like you said, nothing from her insurer which is worrying me. I'll chase that up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

What did your own insurance company say to do when you contacted them?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Have you lodged a claim with their insurance company?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Deal directly with the other person's insurers. Has it even been reported to them yet ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement